Announcement

Collapse

Study Room Guidelines

Ok it isn't so quiet in here but our resident librarian will ensure that there is good discussion on literature, prose, poetry, etc. You may also post sermons, notes, and the like as long as it is not copyrighted material and within reason of the post length regulation.

We encourage you to take a lose look at the threads and offer honest and useful input. This forum is a place where we discuss literature of any media, as well as personal creations by some of our own wordsmiths. Debate is encouraged, but we often find ourselves relaxing here.

Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Is ASCII Code relevant for Apocalypse 13:18? I think so

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hansgeorg View Post
    Problem with that code : you just made it up.
    I am not making ASCII Code up. Upper case A is 64+1=65. Lower case a is 64+32+1. Either you say it is 97 or you say it is 65+32. In every computer using Latin alphabet over the world.
    ASCII code is as made up as Ronald Wilson Reagan's name.
    Again, you're just excluding stuff because you don't like it.

Tying all of this to the name of a fictional bad guy, after butchering his name, is poor numerology.
    Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
      John was speaking of present circumstances as indicated by the text.
      The era of the New Covenant was present then and is still present now.

Your argument is with him - to extend an last hour to '2000' years is silly.
      Nevertheless, the Church has done so.

I'm sorry, but you don't get to redefine words and the clear meaning of the text.
      Your argument is with the Church and the Church Fathers.

John was writing to comfort a persecuted church.
      One has to wonder what comfort they'd find in a hidden code that couldn't be deciphered until ASCII was developed.
      Stop being silly.
      The purpose you state was perhaps part of why God gave St John the apocalypse, but the purpose of God was certainly beyond that and for our instruction.

And it helps us a lot to understand it is about ASCII Code if it is, and it would have helped St John a lot and perhaps did so (if he saw things in real prophecy!) to know it was sth other than Greek gematria.

In Greek gematria the probably first reader or first reader outside Patmos of the Apocalypse, Marcus Cocceius Nerva could have felt very ill at ease.

Even so, I am not sure St John explained it to him.

M. NEPOYA is the back then Greek transcription of M. Nerva! (M. Nerva as in subject of a sentence would be M. NEPOYAC, with an extra sigma).

You count the Greek values. M=40, N=50, together 90 ...

I think an exiled man could only write to one man, to the emperor, and when doing so usually did so asking for mercy. Writing the Apocalypse and sending it to Nerva was a very brave deed. But I am not sure even St John, given new strength as eagles' wings, would have dared unless he had known it did not refer to "Marce Nerva" in Greek transcription.
      http://notontimsblogroundhere.blogspot.fr/p/apologetics-section.html

Thanks, Sparko, for telling how I add the link here!

Comment

ASCII code is as made up as Ronald Wilson Reagan's name.
        But unlike that president's name which does not add up to six-HUNDRED six-TY six, it involves, like Greek and Hebrew gematria, a way of obtaining for some names that sum.

Again, you're just excluding stuff because you don't like it.
        No, but because there is a solid reason to consider it less relevant.

Tying all of this to the name of a fictional bad guy, after butchering his name, is poor numerology.
        I am not sure Rowling wasn't butchering the name of a now known world leader.

Besides, I am not trying to be a good numerologist, but to use what knowledge I have or what understanding I have to calculate the number of a name.

Comment

The era of the New Covenant was present then and is still present now.
          The New Covenant isn't the same thing as the 'Last Hour'.

Nevertheless, the Church has done so.
          Your argument is with the Church and the Church Fathers.
          When the church fathers distort the clear meaning of the text then the church fathers are wrong.
          BTW, the church fathers have a history of being wrong about the anti-Christ: http://www.biblelight.net/fathers-on-antichrist.htm

The purpose you state was perhaps part of why God gave St John the apocalypse, but the purpose of God was certainly beyond that and for our instruction.
          You've made another assumption here.
          The letter is clearly directed to the 7 churches which were literal congregations in existence at that time.
          To add additional meaning to the text is to read something into it that isn't there.
          Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

You're excluding Reagan for entirely subjective reasons.
            You claim he couldn't be it because the naming of the child would be intentional when it is just as likely a fulfillment of prophecy. (1)
            NOTES
            -------------------------------------------------------------
            1: Both claims are idiotic.
            Considering the number of people who have three names of six letters, it is clearly NOT idiotic to claim it is intentional.

And fulfilments of prophecy usually do not come about because people exactly intend to.

You don't have a reason to exclude him other than 'it doesn't fit my preconceived model'.
            Let's see.

Prophecy of Cyrus fulfilled, but parents weren't trying to fulfil it, since they hadn't read Isaiah.

Prophecy of Emanuel fulfilled, but St Joseph didn't literally use that name, so wasn't trying to fulfil it either.

Why should a prophecy about Antichrist be fulfilled by someone obeying the plan of his parents when naming him?

This is what numerologist do - they look through thousands of combinations of numbers to get to the magical '666' and exclude any totals that don't match their preset agenda. The possibilities of getting to that number take the most convoluted and ridiculous routes.
            Where have I done so with ASCII Code?

"We are told that the ancient Chaldeans, during the time of the Babylonian Empire when the prophetic Book of Daniel was written, had a numerological technique that can be applied to the english alphabet today. In that system, each succeeding letter of the alphabet was equal to 6 more than the one before it. In our system A would equal 6, B would equal 12, etc. as shown in the chart below..."

I exclude that system, because unlike Greek gematria and Hebrew gematria, this was not a system used in everyday life for counting by letters of alphabet, and also, unlike ASCII Code in computers, it is not a case of "numbers" (one can nearly say computers "read" ASCII Code as binary numerals) being used to express letters either.

Also, not clear who those Chaldeans would have been, since Babylonians weren't using alphabetic, but cuneiform writing.

Your initial post where you substitute out a 'S' for a 's' and a 'u' out for a 'w' is an embarrassment.
            Tying it all to ASCII is flat out silly - this ranks as one of the saddest attempts at numerology I've seen in quite some time.
            It isn't clever, it isn't creative, it is silly.
            Since distinction between upper and lower case is posterior to the times of St John, and also those between I and J and between U, V and W, this is not so.

I write my first name "Hans" in everyday life. But my passport has it as "HANS" and my handle here as "hans".

Your embarrassment tells me you are not a very great grammarian.

Comment

The New Covenant isn't the same thing as the 'Last Hour'.
              Ver. 18. It is the last hour. That is, according to the common interpretation, the last age of the world, from the coming of Christ to the day of judgment, and the end of the world, which St. Paul calls the end and consummation of ages. (Hebrews ix. 26.)

And as you have heard that antichrist (the great antichrist) cometh, or is to come in this last age: now there are already many antichrists; i.e. as the word signifies, many adversaries to Christ, who are forerunners of the great and last antichrist. (Witham)

Many antichrists; that is, many heretics, enemies of Christ and his Church, and forerunners of the great antichrist. (Challoner)

St. Cyprian says all are called antichrists that have divided themselves from the charity and unity of the Catholic Church. (Ep. lxxvii. ad Magnum.)

Whereby we know that it is the last hour, it being foretold that many false prophets should rise in the latter days. (Matthew xxiv. 11. &c.) (Witham)

http://haydock1859.tripod.com/id276.html

When the church fathers distort the clear meaning of the text then the church fathers are wrong.
              BTW, the church fathers have a history of being wrong about the anti-Christ: http://www.biblelight.net/fathers-on-antichrist.htm
              The Church Fathers have a history of being right.

You've made another assumption here.
              The letter is clearly directed to the 7 churches which were literal congregations in existence at that time.
              To add additional meaning to the text is to read something into it that isn't there.
              I am well aware the letter is by St John directed to the seven Churches. It is just extremely possible that the only mail man who could reach them from Patmos was the Emperor in Rome.

It is not adding additional meaning to the text, it is adding a circumstance about where and when the text was written, which is clearly a good conjecture from what is known about it.

Comment

But unlike that president's name which does not add up to six-HUNDRED six-TY six, it involves, like Greek and Hebrew gematria, a way of obtaining for some names that sum.
                Gematria isn't a valid way to interpret the Scriptures.
                Nobody actually communicates this way - do you talk to your loved ones by putting numerical codes into your sentences?

The reason you have both Greek and Hebrew mentioned is because when one language fails to add up you can switch to another, and if that fails you can switch to ASCII.
                Give me numerology and a dozen languages to choose from and I can come up with any theory you want and prove it.

Go ahead, pick a random person from history and I'll prove he is the anti-Christ using the system you've proposed.

No, but because there is a solid reason to consider it less relevant.
                Only because you've chosen random criteria - criteria that change as the theory requires - creating a system so plastic as to be utterly meaningless.

Besides, I am not trying to be a good numerologist, but to use what knowledge I have or what understanding I have to calculate the number of a name.
                This has been done a thousand times in 2,000 years with a thousand different candidates.
                Each thought he had the answer - each was wrong.

I'm sorry, but slaughtering names to get the alphabet set up so that it matches well against any number of possible computer character models to somehow arrive at 666 is insanity.

The Bible is about Jesus Christ and our need to learn to love Him and be like Him.
                It isn't a secret decoder ring full of ciphers for us to somehow predict the future.

Comment

Problem with that code : you just made it up.
                  so?

I am not making ASCII Code up.
                  someone did.

I think my Pirate Code will become as famous as ASCII one day. You can use it to prove anything or anyone is the Beast or the Anti-Christ. It is amazing! No more hunting around. Just decide who you want to be the antichrist, and use my code to prove it!

Go on, give it a try. Give me a name you want to be equal to 666.

any except "Sparko" that can never be equal to 666. It always adds up to 777.

Comment

I can't believe a serious discussion is being had over ASCII - American Standard Code for Information Interchange - numbers to understand Hebrew and Greek.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

From your link:

"the early church fathers quoted above generally expected the Antichrist to rise to power very soon after the fall of pagan Rome"

Er, no. After the fall of ROME.

As in 1918 or 1917, depending on whether Austria or Russia was most Roman.

And we are after that event now.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        I can't believe a serious discussion is being had over ASCII - American Standard Code for Information Interchange - numbers to understand Hebrew and Greek.
                        It has not occurred to you that there are three different number/letter systems.

The old ones being Hebrew and Greek where each letter stands for a numeral.

The new one being ASCII Code, to begin with certainly meant only for America but now used all over the world for the most common alphabet of all, the Latin one. The one which lacked a numeric system covering typically all letters of a name back then.

Comment

Since distinction between upper and lower case is posterior to the times of St John, and also those between I and J and between U, V and W, this is not so.

I write my first name "Hans" in everyday life. But my passport has it as "HANS" and my handle here as "hans".

Your embarrassment tells me you are not a very great grammarian.
                          Your full name is not Johann? Hans is short for Johann

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            But you are just fiddling with numbers and letters and punctuation till you come up with a code or method that matches your already decided conclusion.

I just made up a code that proves you are the anti-christ. It uses Pirate Code (invented by me!)

h = 600
                            a = 60
                            n = 6
                            s = nothing. zero. nada.
                            Total: 666 in decimal.

Therefore you are the antichrist. I have proven it! Repent, demon!
                            I thought that in your pirate code every letter and number equals "R" and any number of R's translates to "give me your bacon"

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              any except "Sparko" that can never be equal to 666. It always adds up to 777.
                              S Uppercase S = 83 080 3
                              p Lowercase p =112 190 5
                              a Lowercase a = 97 280 12
                              r Lowercase r =114 390 16
                              k Lowercase k =107 490 23
                              o Lowercase o =111 600 24 = 624

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                                Do you remember Blue Triangle? He used numerology to prove I was Beelzebub.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X