Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Favorite Astronomy Pictures.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Astronomy Pictures.

Post all of your pictures of galaxies, star clusters, planets, spaceflight, and other pictures related to astronomy in this thread. This is not meant to be a debate thread, so please don't treat it as one.

M81 - Bodes Galaxy.

Everybody knows this one.

M42 - Orion Nebula.

Comment

Eta Carinae - my leading candidate for "star most likely to have already blown up."
      etacarinaebig.jpg
      "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

Pinwheel Galaxy with type Ia supernova in the inner spiral arm.

Comment

Do you have any pictures of the rings of Saturn -- I remember seeing some pretty amazing ones several years ago.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

IMG00001.jpg
            Got this off the APOD website several years ago.
            When I Survey....

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              Do you have any pictures of the rings of Saturn -- I remember seeing some pretty amazing ones several years ago.
              From the Cassini spacecraft a few years ago. The blue 'star' in the image is actually Earth 900 million miles away. The large gap located about two thirds of the way inward is known as the 'Cassini division', and can be seen with medium powered telescopes.

Comment

Originally posted by Sea of red View Post
                From the Cassini spacecraft a few years ago. The blue 'star' in the image is actually Earth 900 million miles away. The large gap located about two thirds of the way inward is known as the 'Cassini division', and can be seen with medium powered telescopes.
                Thanks, great! Now, I remember something about "bends" or such in the F ring that made it look "braided". Eh?
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Thanks, great! Now, I remember something about "bends" or such in the F ring that made it look "braided". Eh?
                  You must be talking about the strange kinks in the F ring that are caused by the gravity from Prometheus.

Comment

Originally posted by Sea of red View Post
                    You must be talking about the strange kinks in the F ring that are caused by the gravity from Prometheus.
                    Sounds familiar, yes. I found a couple of blurry pictures of an "arc" type line with some dots and bends, but was hoping for a better picture.

Comment

Hubble Deep Field

8U69O0.jpg
                      Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

The earth at night

earthnite-ever-1563178622.jpg
                        Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                        sigpic
                        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Sounds familiar, yes. I found a couple of blurry pictures of an "arc" type line with some dots and bends, but was hoping for a better picture.
                          אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

https://youtu.be/shaa01Ukaps
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
                              Thanks

Comment