Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Favorite Astronomy Pictures.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sea of red View Post
    A little better.

You can find the catalog of all the images from Voyager, New Horizons, Galileo, and Cassini here
    nice. Love the effect of the moon's gravity on the rings.

Jim
    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Whirlpool Galaxy

Comment

This one is an irregular galaxy.

No common name - NGC1427A

Comment

Crab nebula pulsar time lapse: hubble and chandra:

Jim
          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by Yttrium View Post
            Whoa! That's clearly the image of a pouncing squirrel! What does it mean??
            Squirrels are the descendants of Martian refugees who fled to Earth after Galactus consumed their homeworld?
            "When the Western world accepted Christianity, Caesar conquered; and the received text of Western theology was edited by his lawyers…. The brief Galilean vision of humility flickered throughout the ages, uncertainly…. But the deeper idolatry, of the fashioning of God in the image of the Egyptian, Persian, and Roman imperial rulers, was retained. The Church gave unto God the attributes which belonged exclusively to Caesar."

— Alfred North Whitehead

Comment

Originally posted by Sea of red View Post
              Any emission nebula is bound to be beautiful. The ionized gases emit some of the most beautiful color patterns in the universe. ...
              I read somewhere that some (most?, all?) of these stunning astronomical color photographs are colorized. The various colors may correspond to specific wavelengths of radiation but they would not appear with these colors to the naked eye. Any truth to that?
              βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
              ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by Yttrium View Post
                Whoa! That's clearly the image of a pouncing squirrel! What does it mean??

Obviously not a squirrel. I mean...

0000000000000ms.jpg
                Actual picture taken by the Mars rover Curiosity

Er, um, come on you cannot possibly think that is an actual squirrel. I mean it... must be...

facepalm3.gif %$#&@# it Dave. You're really making plausible deniability hard here.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
                  I read somewhere that some (most?, all?) of these stunning astronomical color photographs are colorized. The various colors may correspond to specific wavelengths of radiation but they would not appear with these colors to the naked eye. Any truth to that?
                  There are indeed different techniques and telescopes used for taking different images - depending on what's called for. There are radio- wave telescopes, infrared telescopes, x-ray telescopes, ultraviolet wave telescopes, and telescopes that capture visible-light - which are the images I've posted thus far. Since our atmosphere is opaque, x-ray and infrared telescopes are placed in orbit to enable the telescope to capture those wavelengths.

Visible-light like what you saw are done on long time exposures to absorb as much light as possible, and are sometimes then focus stacked for better clarity.
                  Last edited by Sea of red; 12-22-2016, 02:57 PM.

Comment

An example of Orion Nebula M42 at the visible and infrared spectrum.

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
                      I remember when the local Edmund Scientific in Barrington NJ (now Edmund Optics?) used to caution people when buying telescopes, not to expect to see the same thing they see in all those astronomy pictures. Unlike all those catalog stores that show impressive photos to get people to buy telescopes. I knew somebody who bought a 4" reflector, but couldn't see anything through it. It would help if they had taken the cover off first.
                      When I Survey....

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post
                        I remember when the local Edmund Scientific in Barrington NJ (now Edmund Optics?) used to caution people when buying telescopes, not to expect to see the same thing they see in all those astronomy pictures. Unlike all those catalog stores that show impressive photos to get people to buy telescopes. I knew somebody who bought a 4" reflector, but couldn't see anything through it. It would help if they had taken the cover off first.
                        I've had a few telescopes since I was a kid and bought a nice one for my kids. Unless you're willing to lay down some seriously big bucks, and even if you are, you will always have to manage expectations.
                        Last edited by robrecht; 12-22-2016, 04:22 PM.
                        βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
                        ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Most amateur telescopes have mirrors that are too small to absorb light from deep sky bodies.

Saturn will look something like this in a 4-inch reflector.

Andromeda will look like this in a 6-inch reflector.

Comment

Ring Nebula

Comment

When I was in college there was a 12" reflector which through a friend I had access to. Truly awesome what we could see.
                              Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                                When I was in college there was a 12" reflector which through a friend I had access to. Truly awesome what we could see.
                                We had a "nutty professor" in our neighborhood - a kid named Garth who was totally into science, and had a really neat telescope he would set up in the park for us. I don't remember much about it, except it was absolutely fascinating to see stuff "that far away".

I remember he had it set up for the Apollo Moon Landing in '69. I think us kids were expecting to see men walking around on the moon through that telescope. It was pretty amazing, though, seeing the moon up close through that scope and realizing there really were people up there!

It seems to me that he had it set up for one of the (solar?) eclipses, and when we went running up to ask if we could look through the telescope, he pointed to a white poster board at the rear of the scope and said, "just look right there".
                                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment