Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Transition species found from birds with teeth to beaked birds.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transition species found from birds with teeth to beaked birds.

A large number of species of bird were found in Xinjiang Province China, indicate a transition species where babies had teeth and lost them as they matured.

Source: http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/22/health/dinosaurs-that-lose-teeth-china-trnd/

(CNN)A group of 13 dinosaurs that died in a mud pit in China has yielded an unprecedented discovery.

Why do birds have beaks and not teeth?

The 154 million-year-old limusaurus had tiny, sharp teeth as a hatchling that it gradually lost as it grew up, according to new research published in the journal Current Biology on Thursday.
    The finding is a first for the fossil record and may shed light on why birds have beaks and not teeth.
    The group ranged from babies to adults and showed a pattern of tooth loss over time. The fossilized skeletons were found in mysterious death pits in Xinjiang in the far west of China.
    "At first we thought they were different dinosaurs -- one with teeth and one without and we started to study them separately," said Wang Shuo, a co-author of the study and an evolutionary biologist at Capital Normal University in Beijing.
    "But they were largely identical and we found solid evidence that teeth were lost. There were empty tooth sockets in their jaw bones," he added.

© Copyright Original Source

Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Are Chinese palaeontological discoveries credible?

Dia-Mat is a state religion over there!
    http://notontimsblogroundhere.blogspot.fr/p/apologetics-section.html

Thanks, Sparko, for telling how I add the link here!

Comment

Originally posted by hansgeorg View Post
      They're more credible than you.
      Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
      MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

If you asked me about this before 2000 I would say that yes academically Chinese Universities were poor at best in paleontology. Since 2000 the Chinese have invested a lot of money in their universities

The paleontological team involved in the excavation of this site is an international team including one American. The work and discoveries are indeed credible. I m a geologist and lived in China 9 years (1998-2006), and visited a number of significant fossil sites such as the extensive dinosaur era sites of Liaoning Province and other areas, and in 2003 through 2006 I met several German and American paleontologists involved with the Chinese universities.

The main problem in China is theft, smuggling to international underground markets. There have been a few cleverly forged sensational fossils in western museums that have been uncovered on closer examination.

The significance of this discovery is the large number of fossils of different age birds and some complete near skeletons.

The old Karl Marx philosophy of Dialectical materialism was discarded in the 1980 through 1990 period of ejection of the Revolution philosophy. They now embrace the western modern academic view of science, which you also reject.

The main problem I have with science in China that is slow to change concerns their interpretation of Chinese archealogical finds and history. This problem is a severe ethnocentric cultural problem and predates The Revolutionary dynasty of Mao Ze Dong.
        Last edited by shunyadragon; 12-23-2016, 06:30 AM.
        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
          The old Karl Marx philosophy of Dialectical materialism was discarded in the 1980 through 1990 period of ejection of the Revolution philosophy. They now embrace the western modern academic view of science, which you also reject.
          And which by now is not very different at its basics from DiaMat.

Thanks for info on the team, though.
          http://notontimsblogroundhere.blogspot.fr/p/apologetics-section.html

Thanks, Sparko, for telling how I add the link here!

Comment

Thanks for info on the team, though.
            It is very different from DiaMet. No one in the whole world of academic science today endorses DiaMat.

Frank

Comment

Historically Chinese science journals have proven to be somewhat unreliable but this was published in Current Biology, which has a good reputation and was conducted by an international team including Americans from George Washington University (a private research university located in the Foggy Bottom neighborhood of Washington, D.C) and a French scientist from Claude Bernard University Lyon 1.

After looking over the entire text of the paper (available here), the research seems solid.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                Historically Chinese science journals have proven to be somewhat unreliable but this was published in Current Biology, which has a good reputation and was conducted by an international team including Americans from George Washington University (a private research university located in the Foggy Bottom neighborhood of Washington, D.C) and a French scientist from Claude Bernard University Lyon 1.

After looking over the entire text of the paper (available here), the research seems solid.
                I appreciate your addition of details, but unfortunately hansgeorg could care less, and rejects modern science of any sort.

Frank

Comment

Oh my.

Comment