Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The repeating fast radio burst frb 121102

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The repeating fast radio burst frb 121102

What meaneth this?

THE REPEATING FAST RADIO BURST FRB 121102: MULTI-WAVELENGTH OBSERVATIONS AND ADDITIONAL BURSTS

Is this a biggie? Or is this pretty common.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

space Russians!

Comment

Interesting, but need more information on the possible interpretations of this.
      Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
      Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        What meaneth this?

THE REPEATING FAST RADIO BURST FRB 121102: MULTI-WAVELENGTH OBSERVATIONS AND ADDITIONAL BURSTS

Is this a biggie? Or is this pretty common.
        Fast radio bursts were only discovered relatively recently, and we know almost nothing about their source. Since they didn't appear to ever repeat, and release a tremendous amount of energy, it was initially thought that they were the product of an event that destroyed whatever was bursting. Then we found a couple of repeaters, which means they can't be catastrophic events (at least not all of them), but we still have no idea what they are.

In fact, we don't know why we see them in the radio. There are a number of possible explanations:
        The source preferentially emits in the radio spectrum.
        We just haven't been looking at other wavelengths at the right time.
        The source emits in a broad spectrum, but the local conditions block other wavelengths.
        The source is far enough away that everything is redshifted into the radio spectrum.

So, we need lots of observations to start sorting this out. But they're transient, unpredictable events, which means observations are a matter of luck. So, people have equipment doing regular observation of the site of the repeating bursts, hoping to get better information about the properties of the bursts.

This is a progress report on that effort.
        "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
          Fast radio bursts were only discovered relatively recently, and we know almost nothing about their source. Since they didn't appear to ever repeat, and release a tremendous amount of energy, it was initially thought that they were the product of an event that destroyed whatever was bursting. Then we found a couple of repeaters, which means they can't be catastrophic events (at least not all of them), but we still have no idea what they are.

In fact, we don't know why we see them in the radio. There are a number of possible explanations:
          The source preferentially emits in the radio spectrum.
          We just haven't been looking at other wavelengths at the right time.
          The source emits in a broad spectrum, but the local conditions block other wavelengths.
          The source is far enough away that everything is redshifted into the radio spectrum.

So, we need lots of observations to start sorting this out. But they're transient, unpredictable events, which means observations are a matter of luck. So, people have equipment doing regular observation of the site of the repeating bursts, hoping to get better information about the properties of the bursts.

This is a progress report on that effort.
          From what I've read about this one its is unusual in that is did in fact repeat, and they have been able to localize its source as being an elliptical galaxy some 6 billion LY hence.

Jim
          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Thanks, guys, I just thought this was interesting.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

More information on radio bursts.

Source: http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/04/world/dwarf-galaxy-radio-burst/index.html

Mysterious radio signal traced to dwarf galaxy 3 billion light-years away

Now than an FRB has been traced to its origin, scientists may finally be close to explaining what causes the peculiar signals.

Unfortunately for alien enthusiasts, extraterrestrial intelligence is not near the top of the list of explanations.
              "We think it may be a magnetar -- a newborn neutron star with a huge magnetic field, inside a supernova remnant or a pulsar wind nebula -- somehow producing these prodigious pulses," Chatterjee said.

Neutron stars are incredibly small and dense objects with a mass around twice that of the sun. They are formed by the supernova explosion of a massive star as it reaches the end of its lifespan and detonates its remaining fuel in spectacular fashion.

© Copyright Original Source

But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Interesting thing about the new results is that they've found there's a steady, lower power radio source in the vicinity. ("Vicinity" being defined in galactic terms - the limits are something like 40 kilo parsecs). But we don't have the resolution yet to say whether they're the same object or not. Also, this thing seems to be bursting a lot. You get a decent amount of observing time, and it seems pretty likely you'll be able to see more, which should help with localizing it further.
                "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
                  Interesting thing about the new results is that they've found there's a steady, lower power radio source in the vicinity. ("Vicinity" being defined in galactic terms - the limits are something like 40 kilo parsecs). But we don't have the resolution yet to say whether they're the same object or not. Also, this thing seems to be bursting a lot. You get a decent amount of observing time, and it seems pretty likely you'll be able to see more, which should help with localizing it further.
                  I believe with time the results of the tentative origin will be confirmed.

Frank

Comment