Bee hive!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bee hive!

Yesterday when I got home from college I was shown a bee hive hanging off a branch on a tree in our garden. The structure seemed to be about 40-50 cm long.

My family told me that during the day a swarm of bees came by, apparently looking for a place to build their new home. After checking some places around the house (and my grandparents's house), they settled there on the tree I was shown. When I saw their hive they looked like they were still working (then again, when don't they?).

When I came out later, the branch had broken from the hive's weight. Now lots of them were moving to a log we had happened to put there supporting the tree. Fast forward today, my grandpa moved the broken branch (with the hive they had built) out from our home. Later he went to see it and they had all left it -- they are all on the log now; apparently the queen moved there.

Now my family is concerned on whether they are dangerous to us (and to our dog), and mostly whether they'll stay here or are just passing by. (Summer is just starting here.) Does anyone know about bee habits to answer this? Is there a way to move them without killing them all, etc.? (Yeah, I'm thinking about Mr. Jed here but everyone is free to share their thoughts.)
    We are therefore Christ's ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore on Christ's behalf: 'Be reconciled to God!!'
    - 2 Corinthians 5:20.
    In deviantArt: ll-bisto-ll.deviantart.com
    Christian art and more: Christians.deviantart.com

We need Jed's advice here.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

A swarm will generally hang around for anywhere from a few hours to a couple of days. They are at their least defensive since they do not have a hive to defend. Unless the queen is injured they will move on as soon as they find a hollow place to build. I don't know about bees in your area, but I would guess you are outside the range of the "killer bees." If there is any concern I am sure that a local beekeeper would be happy to come and collect them for you. Let me know if you have any other, or more specific, questions.
      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
        A swarm will generally hang around for anywhere from a few hours to a couple of days. They are at their least defensive since they do not have a hive to defend. Unless the queen is injured they will move on as soon as they find a hollow place to build. I don't know about bees in your area, but I would guess you are outside the range of the "killer bees." If there is any concern I am sure that a local beekeeper would be happy to come and collect them for you. Let me know if you have any other, or more specific, questions.
        Thank you for your reply!

An aunt called a beekeeper who may come tonight or during the week. So far the bees have been quiet enough, so nothing of note there.
        We are therefore Christ's ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore on Christ's behalf: 'Be reconciled to God!!'

Comment

Originally posted by Bisto View Post
          Thank you for your reply!

An aunt called a beekeeper who may come tonight or during the week. So far the bees have been quiet enough, so nothing of note there.
          Even beekeepers can be delayed by Christmas.
          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Last I checked they were gone, but I missed when and how. Presumably they left :)

Comment

A swarm like that will only stay in one place until they find a new home site. Then it is off they go.

Comment

If the beekeeper moves the swarm is there a guarantee the swarm will stay wherever the keeper puts them?
                Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                  Even beekeepers can be delayed by Christmas.
                  I hear they moonlight as Santa's elves!
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                    If the beekeeper moves the swarm is there a guarantee the swarm will stay wherever the keeper puts them?
                    Depends. I have never had a swarm leave once it was hived. If somehow the queen is missed they will try to go back to her.

Comment