Announcement

Collapse

The Pulpit Guidelines

This is the place for quiet meditations and reflections. No debate is permitted, and we ask that the fact that this is a Christian-owned site be respected in that the majority of the spiritual reflections expressed here will be Christian in perspective. We ask that mediations that are blatantly unorthodox or contrary to Christianity not be posted. Respectful interaction and posting by those of other beliefs is permitted. Moderators are given wide discretion and latitude as to the appropriateness of posts in this area.

Please keep in mind the rules: here
See more
See less

"Saying Grace" in Public...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Saying Grace" in Public...

I have always taken a moment to bow my head and "say grace" for meals, even when eating alone in public. I don't try to be a spectacle, but I don't hide it, either. When I got married, it didn't change. And as children came along, they saw that we "said grace" for meals at home, and in restaurants.

On at least 3 occasions when we were a young family, when it came time for the waitress to give us our check, I was told "your check has already been paid". The first time, I didn't know how or why. The second and third time, the waitress explained that "some gentleman saw you and your family saying grace, and they just wanted to encourage you".

Once, a kind old man came to our table, picked up our check, and said "your prayer before your meal is a testimony to others", and he just smiled and walked to the cash register and paid our bill.

Since then, God has really blessed us, and, every once in a while, I get to be that "kind old man".
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Thanks for the hot tip on how to work the man.
    Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

We always give thanks in restaurants, but no one has ever picked up our check. Not fair.
      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
        We always give thanks in restaurants, but no one has ever picked up our check. Not fair.
        Must be praying to the wrong god.
        Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
          Story time....

This farm family decided to visit the big city, and stopped into a restaurant for their evening meal. After the waitress brought the food, they all bowed their heads, and papa "asked the blessing" on the food.

Some bikers were sitting at a table next to theirs, and one of them laughed out loud and said, "Hey old man - that's cute - does EVERYBODY do that where you come from?"

Without even looking up, he replied, "Nope ... the pigs never do".
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            Story time....

This farm family decided to visit the big city, and stopped into a restaurant for their evening meal. After the waitress brought the food, they all bowed their heads, and papa "asked the blessing" on the food.

Some bikers were sitting at a table next to theirs, and one of them laughed out loud and said, "Hey old man - that's cute - does EVERYBODY do that where you come from?"

Without even looking up, he replied, "Nope ... the pigs never do".
            Never judge a book by its cover!

In the distant past, via female friends who had hooked up with a biker, I have associated with some of the most notorious biker gangs here in Sydney, Australia., and they recognising my devotion to the Christian way were always respectful of me.

I should clarify: for a time my home became a drop in center to individuals bikers & rival groups (my home was respected as neutral territory). The situation just evolved! In effect my association was "forced" upon me. What I discovered over time was that often the most foul mouthed (relatively speaking) and course individuals were the most open to Christian association. Most of the guys I got on with had tough backgrounds and really appreciated unconditional acceptance.

I always keep in mind Jesus' conversation with the societal outcast at John 4. It was because of this conversation that we encounter the first mass conversion reported in the NT (John 4:40-42). It is worth noting that it was these societal outcasts that were the first enmass to confess "that this is indeed the Christ, the Saviour of the world". In contrast, at John 8:30.37 we are told that those in the societal establishment that believed in Jesus, were the very ones that Jesus accused as wanting to kill him! In fact, at John 8:48 these religious blow-hards pilloried Jesus, ranking him as a societal outcast, concluding "and hast a devil".

If your self righteous, judgemental farmer had imitated Jesus and had invited the bikers to give thanksgiving with him for what little enjoyments they could share together, he may have received a reward grander than money...

There is an international organisation of Christian bikers that was founded here in Sydney in the 1960s. Its stated purpose is " to minister among the 'outlaw biker fraternity' and associated groups, where it is an accepted and relevant expression of the Christian Church. Since it's birth, out of the counter culture Jesus movement days of the late 60's it has continued...to devote its efforts amongst those on the fringes of society".

What the point of preaching to the converted? It is the lost that those attempting to walk in Jesus' footsteps must approach...

As for giving thanks before eating: it is habitual with me (if I'm about to eat, I automatically give thanks in private. It worries me that it has become automatic and potentially thoughtless). Even when silent, the give away is a little knod at the end. In restaurants people notice the knod & sometimes attract my attention & smile...
            Last edited by elam; 02-16-2017, 09:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by elam View Post
              If your self righteous, judgemental farmer had imitated Jesus and had invited the bikers to give thanksgiving for what little enjoyments they could share together he may have received a grand reward better than money...
              Elam, first of all, that was just a humorous story, not a real event.
              Second, this is NOT a debate thread.
              Third, you're being self righteous and judgemental yourself by calling this fictitious farmer self righteous and judgemental.

Please don't post in here anymore.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                Elam, first of all, that was just a humorous story, not a real event.
                Second, this is NOT a debate thread.
                Third, you're being self righteous and judgemental yourself by calling this fictitious farmer self righteous and judgemental.

Please don't post in here anymore.

Thanks.
                I realised the story was meant as a joke. But just as the Pharisees were prone to do it typed cast a group and gave a message that was in opposition to Christ's example (there are lots of scripture to demonstrate the point).

I'm not debating! I am making a point blank statement about what Jesus did and said! My story was meant to be upbuilding!!!

Comment

I am embarrassed to say that I rarely give thanks at meals. I was not raised Christian and the only time growing up we said grace was at meals like Thanksgiving or Christmas and Easter, at my Grandpa's (who was a baptist preacher)

so I often forget to do it when I am eating alone. When I do remember, I will say a quick "thank you Lord for this food"

Comment

Originally posted by elam View Post
                    I realised the story was meant as a joke. But just as the Pharisees were prone to do it typed cast a group and gave a message that was in opposition to Christ's example (there are lots of scripture to demonstrate the point).

I'm not debating! I am making a point blank statement about what Jesus did and said! My story was meant to be upbuilding!!!
                    You have been asked not to post here. Second request.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      I am embarrassed to say that I rarely give thanks at meals. I was not raised Christian and the only time growing up we said grace was at meals like Thanksgiving or Christmas and Easter, at my Grandpa's (who was a baptist preacher)

so I often forget to do it when I am eating alone. When I do remember, I will say a quick "thank you Lord for this food"

If you forget to pray before you eat, the appropriate prayer for after you eat is "Bless the Lord, O my soul, and all that is within me".

Comment

Moderated By: Cerebrum123

elam, you are being officially asked to leave this thread in accordance with the OP's wishes.

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
                        Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X