Announcement

Collapse

World History 201 Guidelines

Welcome to World History 201.

Find out if Caesar crossed the Rubicon or threw a dollar across it.

This is the forum where world history, in general, can be discussed. Since the WH201, like the other fora in the World History department, is not limited to participation along lines of theology, all may post here.

Please keep the Campus Decorum in mind when posting here--while 'belief' restrictions are not in place, common decency is.

The Tweb rules are in force . . . we're watching you.
Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Japan Pays Respect at Pearl Harbor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Japan Pays Respect at Pearl Harbor

Japan's Abe pays respects at Hawaii memorials

2016-12-26T233532Z_2_LYNXMPECBP0M6_RTROPTP_2_USA-JAPAN.JPG.cf.jpg

By Emily Stephenson

HONOLULU (Reuters) - Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe on Monday stopped at several memorials in Hawaii, one day before he will visit the site of the 1941 bombing of Pearl Harbor during a trip intended to show a strong alliance between his country and the United States.

Abe made no public remarks and stood in silence before a wreath of flowers at the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific, a memorial to people who died while serving in the U.S. Armed Forces.

Abe, joined by two of his Cabinet members, bowed his head before wreaths of white flowers and greenery laid at the feet of stone monuments at Makiki Cemetery in Honolulu dedicated to Japanese who settled in Hawaii in the 1800s.

The crowning event of the trip comes Tuesday, when Abe and U.S. President Barack Obama will visit Pearl Harbor, the site of the Japanese attack 75 years ago that drew the United States into World War II. Obama, who was born in Hawaii, is spending his winter vacation there.

Abe does not plan to apologize for the 1941 attack but to console the souls of those who died in the war, his aides said this month.

I think Abe is playing this with grace and dignity.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Why would the current Prime Minister of Japan be expected to ever appear at this memorial?
    He wasn't even alive when the bombing occurred - and they've an entirely different government.

I love the idea of learning from the past but I'm a bit tired of people being caught forever in the past.
    They've been our allies for decades - actions which speak much louder than silly ceremonies.
    I'm so tired of everyone running around insisting that people apologize for stuff that happened before anyone was born.

Sheesh.
    Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

In 1965 a couple of Jewish businessmen in Detroit, MI stole money from my grandfather which was equivalent to about $500,000.00 in today's money.
      A great deal of that money didn't belong to just my grandfather but also to several farmers in my home town - all of whom my grandfather was obligated to reimburse over the course of many years.

Those Jewish businessmen directly impacted our family, our reputation, and our well-being.

Oddly enough, a representative from the local synagogue hasn't been by to personally apologize to me nor has the modern State of Israel contacted me for directions to my grandfather's grave so a wreath may be placed. I'm thankful for that because it saves me that awkward moment on my front porch where I have to bust out laughing at a Jew for presupposing he has any standing whatsoever to apologize for what couple of conmen did in Detroit in 1965. I was raised to believe individuals are responsible for their actions, not entire categories of people who weren't even alive when the bad happened.

Just stop already.

Sorry to hate on your thread, Cow Poke.

I know some of my views may not be appreciated; however, I did bother to respond.
      That is more than we can say for your other 'friends'.

We may not always get along but I'm probably the best friend you have right now.

I'm looking for a new friend.
      Trout died - or got drunk and is hiding from the law - whatever.

Moderated By: Littlejoe

Back to back posts are not permitted. You have up to 45 minutes to edit any previous posts. Thanks!

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
      Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

Last edited by Littlejoe; 12-27-2016, 07:03 PM.
      Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

Originally posted by Meh Gerbil
        Sorry to hate on your thread, Cow Poke.
        I have always liked you. I think it's a serious character flaw on my part. Pray for me.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          I have always liked you. I think it's a serious character flaw on my part. Pray for me.
          That's what friends do, buddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
            Why would the current Prime Minister of Japan be expected to ever appear at this memorial?
            He wasn't even alive when the bombing occurred - and they've an entirely different government.

I love the idea of learning from the past but I'm a bit tired of people being caught forever in the past.
            They've been our allies for decades - actions which speak much louder than silly ceremonies.
            I'm so tired of everyone running around insisting that people apologize for stuff that happened before anyone was born.

Sheesh.
            I agree with you but in this case Japan, unlike Germany, has always denied culpability for some of the things they did during WWII often trying to frame themselves as the victim (which infuriates the Chinese, the Koreans, Filipinos and many of their other neighbors) to no end. It is nice to see them taking any steps that would divorce themselves from that position.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              I agree with you but in this case Japan, unlike Germany, has always denied culpability for some of the things they did during WWII often trying to frame themselves as the victim (which infuriates the Chinese, the Koreans, Filipinos and many of their other neighbors) to no end. It is nice to see them taking any steps that would divorce themselves from that position.
              It is a weird impulse to need to hear someone else say something - to acknowledge something that everyone knows is true.
              It is an impulse I try to drive away from myself.

For example, for some reason I'd love to hear Hillary Clinton apologize for being a criminal.
              She wouldn't mean it; it would just be another lie - so why would I want to hear her lie again?
              I cannot figure out what it would do for me.

Comment

I liked the "quiet approach", too... no big speeches or drama.... just a quiet presence to honor the dead.

My Dad, who served in the European Theater in WWII, did his "Honor Flight" to DC some years ago with other WWII vets, and one of the nights there, they had a dinner with Japanese soldiers and sailors who also served. Dad would also tear up when he told about the Japanese officer who came over to him and hugged him and just wept, saying nothing.

For the sarcastically impaired the following is said in jest

Now, if only the Yankees could be so gracious for starting the War of Northern Aggression, and get that behind us, as well!

Comment

Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
                  For example, for some reason I'd love to hear Hillary Clinton apologize for being a criminal.
                  This is different. It's not the Japanese Emperor who ordered the attack on Pearl Harbor apologizing for that act --- it's descendants. It's about people from both sides who were called on by their respective countries to fight for their country, and were "doing the right thing" at the time.

Looking back, you wonder why that had to be.

Comment

It's a very healthy attitude to take. Doing what you suggest weakens people to the point where they become suicidally insane. Just look at Germany, who took the "high road". I don't think any sane person would pick them over Japan if they had a choice in the kind of country they'd end up with.
                    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                      It's a very healthy attitude to take. Doing what you suggest weakens people to the point where they become suicidally insane. Just look at Germany, who took the "high road". I don't think any sane person would pick them over Japan if they had a choice in the kind of country they'd end up with.
                      Maybe the 'high road' isn't a statement about altitude.
                      I'll not have what Germany has been smoking.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X