Announcement

Collapse

Memorial Garden Guidelines

This forum is to remember all friends and family who passed from this earth. We were lucky to know them, let us encourage one another with their memories.
This is not a debate area, nor a place to speak ill of the dead.

Please keep in mind the rules: here
See more
See less

Joseph Fitzmyer, S.J.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joseph Fitzmyer, S.J.

Joseph Fitzmyer died on Christmas Eve at the age of 96. He was one of the greatest Catholic Biblical scholars ever. With Raymond Brown and a few others, he was crucial to bringing Catholic scholarship into the 20th century.

http://www.americamagazine.org/conte...ph-fitzmyer-sj

3 For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, 4 that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures --1 Corinthians 15:3-4 (borrowed with gratitude from 37818's sig)

Comment

Originally posted by psstein View Post
      Joseph Fitzmyer died on Christmas Eve at the age of 96. He was one of the greatest Catholic Biblical scholars ever. With Raymond Brown and a few others, he was crucial to bringing Catholic scholarship into the 20th century.

http://www.americamagazine.org/conte...ph-fitzmyer-sj
      I think Joseph Fitzmyer, Raymond Brown, and Frans Neirynck were perhaps the three greatest New Testament scholars of the 2nd half of the 20th century. Not sure if that category is or should be relevant any longer because their success in embracing and supporting the scholarly consensus on important issues largely brought Catholic scripture studies out of the ghetto of Catholic scholarship and into the scholarly world at large. There were others and there will continue to be other great Catholic scripture scholars, of course, for example Daniel Harrington, Ray Collins, John Meier, Reimund Bieringer, to name a few, but I don't expect them to retreat to any ghettos.
      βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
      ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
        I think Joseph Fitzmyer, Raymond Brown, and Frans Neirynck were perhaps the three greatest New Testament scholars of the 2nd half of the 20th century. Not sure if that category is or should be relevant any longer because their success in embracing and supporting the scholarly consensus on important issues largely brought Catholic scripture studies out of the ghetto of Catholic scholarship and into the scholarly world at large. There were others and there will continue to be other great Catholic scripture scholars, of course, for example Daniel Harrington, Ray Collins, John Meier, Reimund Bieringer, to name a few, but I don't expect them to retreat to any ghettos.
        I would add E.P. Sanders to that list. You raise an interesting point about whether or not it's necessary to delineate between Catholic and non-Catholic scholarship, largely because they're so interrelated these days.

Comment

Originally posted by psstein View Post
          I would add E.P. Sanders to that list. You raise an interesting point about whether or not it's necessary to delineate between Catholic and non-Catholic scholarship, largely because they're so interrelated these days.
          Sure, my list was not intended to be exhaustive, and I left out many other very deserving Catholic NT scholars, eg, Jan Lambrecht, Joachim Gnilka, Rudolf Pesch. E.P. Sanders, who had his own ecclectic approach to synoptic question, is particularly interesting to the the ghetto question insofar as this was largely a matter of a quasi-doctrinal objection to the two-source theory.
          βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
          ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X