Announcement

Collapse

LDS - Mormonism Guidelines

Theists only.

Look! It's a bird, no it's a plane, no it's a bicycle built for two!

This forum is a debate area to discuss issues pertaining to the LDS - Mormons. This forum is generally for theists only, and is generaly not the area for debate between atheists and theists. Non-theists may not post here without first obtaining permission from the moderator of this forum. Granting of such permission is subject to Moderator discretion - and may be revoked if the Moderator feels that the poster is not keeping with the spirit of the World Religions Department.

Due to the sensitive nature of the LDS Temple Ceremonies to our LDS posters, we do not allow posting exact text of the temple rituals, articles describing older versions of the ceremony, or links that provide the same information. However discussion of generalities of the ceremony are not off limits. If in doubt, PM the area mod or an Admin

Non-theists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Mormons Encouraged to Stay Away from Discussion Boards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
    Kevin?
    Kevin Graham was Bloodnut here before the crash. He worked with FARMS/FAIR, and even worked to gather a team of big shot Mormon apologists to answer JP's book The Mormon Defenders. Kevin left the Mormon church because of his findings when studying the Book of Abraham, and specifically the plagiarism Smith did to the Book of Breathing and the facsimiles in the beginning of the BOA.

Some language warnings on this link, but Kevin wrote a few of these articles...

http://www.mormoncurtain.com/topic_k...ianpapers.html
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
      Kevin Graham was Bloodnut here before the crash. He worked with FARMS/FAIR, and even worked to gather a team of big shot Mormon apologists to answer JP's book The Mormon Defenders. Kevin left the Mormon church because of his findings when studying the Book of Abraham, and specifically the plagiarism Smith did to the Book of Breathing and the facsimiles in the beginning of the BOA.

Some language warnings on this link, but Kevin wrote a few of these articles...

http://www.mormoncurtain.com/topic_k...ianpapers.html
      Interesting!
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Other Cheek no longer was a Mormon? I'm confused.
        Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Wrong Kevin. I was talking about Kevin Graham, not Other Cheek. Different people
          That's what
          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

OtherCheek is deceased.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              OtherCheek is deceased.
              I know that. Bill, thanks for clarifying.
              Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by ke7ejx View Post
                OtherCheek
                See all the confusion you caused!

...You've learned well.
                "The Jesus Christ who saves sinners is the same Christ who beckons his followers to serious use of their minds for serious explorations of the world." - Mark Noll

"It cannot be that the people should grow in grace unless they give themselves to reading." - John Wesley

"Wherever men are still theological, there is still some chance of their being logical." - G. K. Chesterton

Comment

Originally posted by JB DoulosChristou View Post
                  See all the confusion you caused!

...You've learned well.
                  She is, after all, the Grand High Priestess of the Order of the Stirring Pot.

Or so it's been said.

Comment

She is, after all, the Grand High Priestess of the Order of the Stirring Pot.

Or so it's been said.
                    I am Punkinhead.

"I have missed you, Oh Grand High Priestess of the Order of the Stirring Pot"

~ Cow Poke aka CP aka Creacher aka ke7ejx's apprentice....

Comment

I wonder how much Kevin's leaving affected them...
                      And Kerry Shirts....

Comment

Originally posted by jpholding View Post
                        And Kerry Shirts....
                        Interesting that Kerry now claims to be an atheist, and lists his reason as:

Having read through many texts by John W. Loftus, George H. Smith, Christopher Hitchins, Richard Dawkins, Victor J. Stenger, Sam Harris, Dan Barker, Hector Avalos, and others, I can plainly see why Christianity doesn't have a chance, biblically, logically, or spiritually.
                        That's what
                        - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Interesting that Kerry now claims to be an atheist, and lists his reason as:

Having read through many texts by John W. Loftus, George H. Smith, Christopher Hitchins, Richard Dawkins, Victor J. Stenger, Sam Harris, Dan Barker, Hector Avalos, and others, I can plainly see why Christianity doesn't have a chance, biblically, logically, or spiritually.

Comment

I miss our Kevin
                            A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                            George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I know I'm resurrecting a months-old thread, but: I don't think the Mormon church has put out anything official about not participating on discussion boards. There have always been murmurings against participating on discussion boards or blogs that could be "faith-destroying," and reading literature that would be "faith-destroying," but that's nothing new.

Originally posted by jpholding View Post
                              These days their formerly leading apologetics org (FARMS) is barely a stain on a sneaker.
                              They're now the Interpreter Foundation. It's hard to say all of the reasons BYU gave the FARMS crowd the boot. Mostly, I think they wanted to do respectable Mormon studies and were embarrassed by some apologists' antics.

Kevin Graham and Kerry Shirts (as Philo Sofee) are both active participants on another Mormon-themed message board if you ever want to look them up.
                              "It seems to me that these women were the head (κεφάλαιον) of the church which was at Philippi." ~ John Chrysostom, Homilies on Philippians 13

Weighted Glory | Christians for Biblical Equality | Worlds Without End: A Mormon Studies Roundtable

Comment

Yeah, I always got a kick out of the big red banners on the LDS pages warning Mormons that "reading further may be damaging to your faith"

Can you imagine a Christian website having that kind of warning?
                                Sounds good - I might try it ....

or, come to think of it

Isn't that what some Churches say about the Bible?
                                1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                                Scripture before Tradition:
                                but that won't prevent others from
                                taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                                of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X