• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should Christians Watch Jesus Movies?

Is it idolatry to portray Jesus?

The link can be found here.

------

Is it idolatry to have Jesus in a movie? Let's plunge into the Deeper Waters and find out.

My wife was recently troubled to come across some people who were telling her a movie like Alison's Choice

You could add manger scenes to that issue.
    When I Survey....

Comment

Well Nick, I really don't understand why you make a thread about this. You basically covered everything with logic and reason...what is there left to discuss?

On a more serious note, I think that you analysis is spot on.

Comment

I had someone disagree on my Facebook. That led to a long discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
          I had someone disagree on my Facebook. That led to a long discussion.
          Seriously? Do they think action figures are idols of fictional characters? Please never introduce them to the English teacher/ movie producer that insists on seeing Christ parallels with any heroic protagonist(I find such things annoying. Just because a character is a good guy that can do stuff we can't do does not mean we should make comparisons to Jesus). On second thought, that might be fun to watch. Just for the picture of one person accusing the other of breaking the first and/or second commandment due to implying that a fictional character is divine.
          If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

We were watching Risen the other night and, being a good parent, I checked the parental guide on Comcast. Violence, sex, drugs, etc, all seemed pretty tame, but for Positive Role Models, they only gave it 2 out of 5 stars.
            אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

You could make a case that Deuteronomy 4:15-18 forbids all artistic depiction of humans or animals (Islam actually has a similar prohibition, which is why Islamic art ends up mainly dealing with geometrical patterns), so it's surprising that people would only take it to prohibit such things as Jesus movies and go no further.
              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
                Of course, such an actor needs to treat the position with full seriousness and reverence.

Comment

I don't think anybody seriously thinks History of the World or Life of Brian are Christian movies.
                  "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                    I don't think anybody seriously thinks History of the World or Life of Brian are Christian movies.
                    As a Christian, I find them hilarious. The Life of Brian is a parody of then-recent Jesus films.
                    Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment