Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

GOP Congress first order of business? Scrap the independence of ethics oversight.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
    Thats right MM, you can't make up the truth.
    Nothing you said was the truth, Jimmy, it's the ravings of a low-info liberal who inadvertently found himself agreeing with Trump and is desperately trying to backpedal.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      Nothing you said was the truth, Jimmy, it's the ravings of a low-info liberal who inadvertently found himself agreeing with Trump and is desperately trying to backpedal.
      Well as usual you'd be wrong Mm. Trump, as I pointed out previously, didn't disagree with the GOP Congress, he disagreed with their timing, not to mention the optics. Remember Trumps quote: "as unfair as it (the independent watchdog)...may be. All Trump said was that there are more important things for them to be working on right now. In other words, don't let the cat out of the bag so quickly and blatantly, they'll be plenty of time for that later.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
        Well as usual you'd be wrong Mm. Trump....
        Jimmy, this "wrong as usual" accusation coming from somebody who can pack more wrong in one post than anybody on Tweb just doesn't hold any water at all.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Well as usual you'd be wrong Mm. Trump, as I pointed out previously, didn't disagree with the GOP Congress, he disagreed with their timing, not to mention the optics. Remember Trumps quote: "as unfair as it (the independent watchdog)...may be. All Trump said was that there are more important things for them to be working on right now. In other words, don't let the cat out of the bag so quickly and blatantly, they'll be plenty of time for that later.
          Of course your biased interpretation couldn't possibly be wrong.

Comment

And this is all predicated on the assumption that criticism of the Office of Congressional Ethics is unwarranted which is a premise I don't accept.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
              It might over tax him . . .
              I see what ya did thar.

Comment

And this is all predicated on the assumption that criticism of the Office of Congressional Ethics is unwarranted which is a premise I don't accept.
                Criticising the Office of Congressional Ethics and taking away their ability, behind closed doors mind you, to act are two different things. The GOP doesn't want independent oversight, thats all it amounts to.

Comment

The GOP doesn't want independent oversight, thats all it amounts to.
                  That's nothing but idle speculation clouded by your rampantly liberal bias.

Comment

I have to agree with the idea that congress, though not just the GOP portion, is lacking on ethics. As long as we have professional politician running things there will be a large surplus of dishonesty. I support a citizen legislature with only a single term for any one in a lifetime, with no perks at all, and certainly no retirement.
                    Like Jury Duty?

Comment

I have to agree with the idea that congress, though not just the GOP portion, is lacking on ethics. As long as we have professional politician running things there will be a large surplus of dishonesty. I support a citizen legislature with only a single term for any one in a lifetime, with no perks at all, and certainly no retirement.
                      I've been saying that for years. The career path of "professional politician" should simply not exist. Someone who is interested in serving the public should actually be expected to serve in a part-time, no perks capacity. I'm not entirely against a reasonable stipend for things like travel expenses, but it would have to be strictly regulated so as not to turn into a full-blown salary.

Comment

I've been saying that for years. The career path of "professional politician" should simply not exist. Someone who is interested in serving the public should actually be expected to serve in a part-time, no perks capacity. I'm not entirely against a reasonable stipend for things like travel expenses, but it would have to be strictly regulated so as not to turn into a full-blown salary.
                        but if they don't get a salary, they will be even more likely to be bribable.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                          Criticising the Office of Congressional Ethics and taking away their ability, behind closed doors mind you, to act are two different things. The GOP doesn't want independent oversight, thats all it amounts to.
                          Trump nipped it in the bud, Jimmy. He saved the day. You should send him a tweet thanking him.
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                            Trump nipped it in the bud, Jimmy. He saved the day. You should send him a tweet thanking him.
                            They HAVE NO EYES MAN!!! NO EYES!!! why is that guy wearing glasses when he has no eyes?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              but if they don't get a salary, they will be even more likely to be bribable.
                              Not really. I don't think a salary would mitigate basic human greed.

Comment

Not really. I don't think a salary would mitigate basic human greed.
                                But lack of one would exacerbate it. You would still have greedy people wanting to get into politics to make money. And they would make money the same way they do now, but selling themselves to the deepest pockets.

Which is why I think Trump is unbuyable. He doesn't need their cash. I think that scares the Capitol Hill cronies and lobbies.

Comment