Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Split from Economics thread - Abortion Discussions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JimL View Post
    The legal distinction as to when life begins is not a philosophical judgement such as is the religious distinction. The legal distinction is based on the science which in this case isn't conclusive since science can not make that determination conclusively. What the ancients may have thought is irrelevant.
    So, heck, let's just kill the baby until we can prove otherwise. I sure hope that sounded a lot better bouncing around in your big empty head.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

The legal distinction as to when life begins is not a philosophical judgement such as is the religious distinction. The legal distinction is based on the science which in this case isn't conclusive since science can not make that determination conclusively. What the ancients may have thought is irrelevant.
      The legal distinction currently allows for termination as long as a toenail is inside the mother. It is based purely on convenience. Science has zip to do with it. Even YOU don't think that science is conclusive here - so why bring it up?
      Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        The legal distinction currently allows for termination as long as a toenail is inside the mother. It is based purely on convenience. Science has zip to do with it. Even YOU don't think that science is conclusive here - so why bring it up?
        Nobody actually does that though. >90% happens in the first trimester. Less than 100 happens in the third trimester every year and those are all health of the mother emergencies.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaecp View Post
          Nobody actually does that though. >90% happens in the first trimester.
          What does this have to do with the legal distinction JimL brought up?
          Less than 100 happens in the third trimester every year and those are all health of the mother emergencies.
          I rather doubt this. In the third trimester the fetus is generally sufficiently well-developed to survive outside of the womb - and with a partial-birth abortion, the baby is already half-way born anyway.
          Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            So, heck, let's just kill the baby until we can prove otherwise. I sure hope that sounded a lot better bouncing around in your big empty head.
            ECREE!! I've always pictured him as a pinhead.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

What does this have to do with the legal distinction JimL brought up?

I rather doubt this. In the third trimester the fetus is generally sufficiently well-developed to survive outside of the womb - and with a partial-birth abortion, the baby is already half-way born anyway.
              Why doubt me on basic facts? We disagree on interpretation, but how often have you known me and how often do I get my basic research wrong?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/2003/06...tatistics.html

"91 percent are performed during the first trimester (12 or fewer weeks' gestation); 9 percent are performed in the second trimester (24 or fewer weeks' gestation); and only about 100 are performed in the third trimester (more than 24 weeks' gestation), approximately .01 percent"

Apologies for the sloppy formatting, I'm on my phone and honestly didn't expect you to doubt me on something so basic

It's not like those 100 a year are people deciding to abort on a whim. There are medical conditions that can kill women, many of which also mean the fetus is a goner, but through abortion saves the mothers life.

Oh, and also some proportion is cases where the lungs or something failed to develop.

See, you're right. Most are sufficiently developed at that point. That's why there are only 100 per year in the 3rd trimester. Every single one of those 100 women wanted to bring their baby to term, but fate didn't agree.

Comment

You can pretend all you want, Tazzy, and hide behind your technical legal definitions, but it's clear to anybody with a functioning brain that a fetus is a stage of development of the human being, there being no human beings on the planet that did not start out as a fetus.
                And to call me dishonest merely for stating my logical opinion on the matter is quite gutless of you.

Comment

Your confusing the argument. I was refering to the legal distinction made by the courts as to when life begins, and at which point abortion becomes illegal, not the legal reasons under which abortions are allowed to be performed after that point due to health risks to the mother. I don't know exactly, and I doubt you know either, exactly what the law states concerning third trimester abortions, and under what circumstances they are allowed. If the law is vague, I suppose that is because the court concluded that the medical professionals themselves are better suited to determine what the health risks to the mother are.

But science does have to do with those decisions, it determines the onset of brain activity, and the onset of brain activity is the point at which the courts determined actual personhood to begin. So, the determination of when life begins isn't made by science, but it is determined by the courts based on the science.

Comment

Ah, I see what you did there... once again, transitioning to "person" so you can go on your "personhood" kick.

You're quite the slippery one, Tazzy.

Spare me the mock outrage.
                    There is no "mock outrage" you drama queen.

Because that "insensate fetus" has a very high degree of probability of progressing one day to adulthood.

The latter is not tolerated in any society on earth (religious or secular), whereas the former is a minority position usually (not always) based on religious grounds.
                    Because I believe life is precious, Tazzy. Even yours.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                      In meaningful terms
                      Meaning let's skip the biology and go to philosophy, and hope no one notices...

the brain brain function IS the human being.
                      In your philosophical opinion. I'm not talking philosophy. I am talking biology.

When it ceases you die
                      The same can be said of the heart when it fails to restart. And did you know the body continues living up to 8 seconds after decapitation?

and before it develops there is no "you".
                      Depends on how you define "you". Biologically, as long as you are on the path of human growth and development, you are an individual living member of our species.

To say more than this is to argue from a philosophical/theological perspective, which you're entitled to do. But you are NOT entitled to impose your view on those who think differently.
                      Sorry, but it's you who is delving into the realm of philosophy with your "you aren't you" argument.
                      That's what
                      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

The science is only inconclusive in a very brief period of time between fertilization and implantation. There is no scientific disagreement after that stage, only philosophical.
                        That's what
                        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Jaecp View Post
                          Why doubt me on basic facts? We disagree on interpretation, but how often have you known me and how often do I get my basic research wrong?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/2003/06...tatistics.html

"91 percent are performed during the first trimester (12 or fewer weeks' gestation); 9 percent are performed in the second trimester (24 or fewer weeks' gestation); and only about 100 are performed in the third trimester (more than 24 weeks' gestation), approximately .01 percent"

Apologies for the sloppy formatting, I'm on my phone and honestly didn't expect you to doubt me on something so basic
                          Um, I wasn't disputing any of that.
                          It's not like those 100 a year are people deciding to abort on a whim. There are medical conditions that can kill women, many of which also mean the fetus is a goner, but through abortion saves the mothers life.
                          I'm aware of that, thanks.
                          Oh, and also some proportion is cases where the lungs or something failed to develop.
                          Hrm. I'm not inclined to disagree with this possibility, but it's sort of vague, and I'd think that these sort of failures would tend to end in miscarriage.
                          See, you're right. Most are sufficiently developed at that point. That's why there are only 100 per year in the 3rd trimester. Every single one of those 100 women wanted to bring their baby to term, but fate didn't agree.
                          Here is where I get rather skeptical - especially when I know of people who survived in spite of an attempt to abort them.

If the life of the mother is at stake, and abortion is the only way to prevent the loss of both lives, I'm willing to countenance it. However, the vast majority of abortions don't pass that criterion.
                          Last edited by One Bad Pig; 01-01-2017, 09:37 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

Ah, I see what you did there... once again, transitioning to "person" so you can go on your "personhood" kick.
                            You're quite the slippery one, Tazzy.
                            Because that "insensate fetus" has a very high degree of probability of progressing one day to adulthood.
                            potential to be a conscious, self-aware being is not the actuality of it.

Because I believe life is precious, Tazzy. Even yours.
                            Last edited by Tassman; 01-02-2017, 01:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                              Meaning let's skip the biology and go to philosophy, and hope no one notices...
                              In your philosophical opinion. I'm not talking philosophy. I am talking biology.
                              Depends on how you define "you". Biologically, as long as you are on the path of human growth and development, you are an individual living member of our species.
                              Before the brain pattern develops there is no "you".

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                                This is why we switch off life-support machines when there is no possible chance of restoring consciousness.
                                For the sarcastically impaired the following is said in jest

And only abort fetuses who have no possible chance of developing a consciousness.

Comment