Christianity as a crutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hansgeorg View Post
    If you'll call God become Man a "wise man" ...? (Not that He was foolish, except that thing of dying for us, but it sounds like the litothesis of the year).
    He was wise (Wisdom in person) and He was a man, wasn't He?

Besides, to my eyes, CBW was making a second passing biblical reference here -- quoting Jesus in a broadly similar way to how "somewhere it is said" was used to quote the OT (I don't remember if this was the exact phrase or WHO exactly said that, but I'm sure it was a NT author).
    We are therefore Christ's ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore on Christ's behalf: 'Be reconciled to God!!'
    - 2 Corinthians 5:20.
    In deviantArt: ll-bisto-ll.deviantart.com
    Christian art and more: Christians.deviantart.com

Comment

Originally posted by Bisto View Post
      He was wise (Wisdom in person) and He was a man, wasn't He?

Besides, to my eyes, CBW was making a second passing biblical reference here -- quoting Jesus in a broadly similar way to how "somewhere it is said" was used to quote the OT (I don't remember if this was the exact phrase or WHO exactly said that, but I'm sure it was a NT author).
      Jesus used the expression "You have heard it was said..." during the Sermon on the Mount referring to the Law.

Also while your characterization of Jesus is correct, I wonder what is gained in the conversation by make an oblique reference to Him? I suppose in a secular discussion board, it might be effective but on a Christian board - not so much.
      "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by hansgeorg View Post
        If you'll call God become Man a "wise man" ...? (Not that He was foolish, except that thing of dying for us, but it sounds like the litothesis of the year).
        She was just being playful - she knew full well that the quote came from Jesus, and who is wiser than He?
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
          Jesus used the expression "You have heard it was said..." during the Sermon on the Mount referring to the Law.
          True! I checked and I was thinking of Hebrews 2:6, quoting more or less the same way. I can't believe I forgot Jesus's though.

Also while your characterization of Jesus is correct, I wonder what is gained in the conversation by make an oblique reference to Him? I suppose in a secular discussion board, it might be effective but on a Christian board - not so much.
          I don't know about that. I thought it was common practice. At least we do it in my family and in our Bible study group at college -- when being playful, like CP says
          We are therefore Christ's ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore on Christ's behalf: 'Be reconciled to God!!'
          - 2 Corinthians 5:20.
          In deviantArt: ll-bisto-ll.deviantart.com
          Christian art and more: Christians.deviantart.com

Comment