Gas Station Fish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas Station Fish

The Gas Station around the corner from the house we're temporarily renting in a NEIGHBORHOOD has some of the best fried fish I've ever had.

And you don't have to buy a whole "fish dinner", you can just order a "snack", which is one good sized filet and a 'side' of your choice.

Every once in a while, I'll get a gas station hot dog - especially the jalapeno sausage one - cause it's quick and convenient, and really good in a "bad for you" kind of way.

What's your favorite gas station food? (chewin' tobakki don't count)
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Maybe those Hostess pies that were advertised in Marvel Comics a long time ago. Or does that not count as "Gas station food".

Comment

One convenient store (no gas) near where I used to live had some pretty good breakfast burritos. But now all of the convenient stores and gas stations near me only have those nasty hotdogs that have been sitting under a heat lamp all day and look more like beef jerky than hotdogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
        Maybe those Hostess pies that were advertised in Marvel Comics a long time ago. Or does that not count as "Gas station food".
        I was thinking more of the various pizza, chicken strips, hot dogs.... hot food that's ready to eat. But, yeah, I love those apple and cherry pies.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Just the idea of eating fish out of a gas station makes me feel a little green around the gills. Speedway here sells some cheap breakfast sandwiches that are...ok. A large pizza is 5 bucks, but like the Little Caesars next door, it's got the consistency (and taste) of corrugated cardboard. The best thing I get from there is their 44 oz. Coke Zero from the soda machine, but I cut way back on soda, so there's not much to get there anymore.

Now, there's a truck stop/gas station the next village over, and they have giant burritos there that are pretty good, but I haven't had one in awhile. We have two in this town now, so there's no good reason to go out of town for one.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
            Just the idea of eating fish out of a gas station makes me feel a little green around the gills....
            Yeah, that's what I thought, too, at first. But it looked consistently good, and one day I decided to try some.

The owner is a hoot -- he's an Egyptian Christian who fled the chaos and started a business in the US. He always has Christian music playing in the background. One day I was in the store getting a coke, and some guy said, rather loudly, to the cashier, "do you always have to play that damn religious music"? The owner - the Egyptian Christian - was in his office right behind the counter, and he stepped out and gently nudged the cashier aside. He, smiling, told the customer, "Sir, this is my business, and I can play whatever music I want -- you are free to shop elsewhere if you do not enjoy it".

You can't imagine (well, maybe you can) how much I enjoyed that!

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              Yeah, that's what I thought, too, at first. But it looked consistently good, and one day I decided to try some.

The owner is a hoot -- he's an Egyptian Christian who fled the chaos and started a business in the US. He always has Christian music playing in the background. One day I was in the store getting a coke, and some guy said, rather loudly, to the cashier, "do you always have to play that damn religious music"? The owner - the Egyptian Christian - was in his office right behind the counter, and he stepped out and gently nudged the cashier aside. He, smiling, told the customer, "Sir, this is my business, and I can play whatever music I want -- you are free to shop elsewhere if you do not enjoy it".

You can't imagine (well, maybe you can) how much I enjoyed that!
              How the heck do you find these people? You always seem to meet the most interesting people.

I have to stop at a gas station/convenient store on the way home today. If there is anything interesting there (read "looks edible") I will try it and report back. I might even take a photo or two.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                How the heck do you find these people? You always seem to meet the most interesting people.
                I always try to be a part of the community I live in - to visit the shops, to meet people.... When I lived in Huntsville (just posted about that in another thread) I was a full time staff member of a fairly large church, and one day I realized that the only people I actually knew or interacted with were Christians. I didn't really come into contact with many lost people at all. So, I decided I was going to drastically change that. I started a long stretch of only serving in Churches that couldn't afford a full time pastor, making my living mainly from computer consulting or "outside activities". (I was even a chimney sweep in my youth! ) So, I actively seek out people with whom I wouldn't otherwise come into contact.

I have to stop at a gas station/convenient store on the way home today. If there is anything interesting there (read "looks edible") I will try it and report back. I might even take a photo or two.
                I don't know about other parts of the country, but it seems like there are entire "brands" that develop to serve gas station / convenience store 'hot foods' needs. Chester Fried Chicken comes to mind, and several different pizzas.... Naturally, a lot of these gas stations are incorporating mini McDonald's or Burger Kings or Subway...

Comment

The Gas Station around the corner from the house we're temporarily renting in a NEIGHBORHOOD has some of the best fried fish I've ever had.

And you don't have to buy a whole "fish dinner", you can just order a "snack", which is one good sized filet and a 'side' of your choice.

Every once in a while, I'll get a gas station hot dog - especially the jalapeno sausage one - cause it's quick and convenient, and really good in a "bad for you" kind of way.

What's your favorite gas station food? (chewin' tobakki don't count)
                  I'm guessing that you had fried fish for lunch.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    I'm guessing that you had fried fish for lunch.
                    And I shared it with Jake -- he absolutely loves it.

Comment

...The owner - the Egyptian Christian - was in his office right behind the counter, and he stepped out and gently nudged the cashier aside. He, smiling, told the customer, "Sir, this is my business, and I can play whatever music I want -- you are free to shop elsewhere if you do not enjoy it"...
                      The really fun part of this is that, when you look at this guy, you might accidentally profile him as a terrorist -- he's a big guy, big mustache, obviously middle-eastern, and rather scary looking. Til he smiles. Then he looks like a big teddy bear.

Comment

Waving a hook in people's faces is no way to make friends, Sparko.

Comment

But he's been working hard at saying "Ahoy, Mateys!" while doing so instead of just saying "Arrrrrr!"

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

why not? Are people prejudiced against the handicapped?

Comment

why not? Are people prejudiced against the handicapped?
                              The handicap thing is okay, it's the looting, burning down property, and salting their crops that's getting on people's nerves.

Comment