Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

KitKat’s shocking secret revealed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KitKat’s shocking secret revealed

With all that is going on in the world the Murdoch press is ensuring we have insights into what is really important...

The Sun drew our attention with the alarmist headline "KitKat’s shocking secret revealed — what’s really between the wafer layers?". It is almost a Trumpian headline worthy of the Washington Post.

"Ever wondered what the tasty filling is in between the crunchy wafers [of a Kit-Kat]?"

According to the report: "You may be surprised to hear, then, that the “chocolayer” is actually smashed-up KitKats. Mind blown".

STOP the MADNESS!
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Why that's like cannibalism!

Comment

That's sort of like how they make hotdogs, where all the rejected bits get ground up into an unidentifiable paste and re-purposed as "food".
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          That's sort of like how they make hotdogs, where all the rejected bits get ground up into an unidentifiable paste and re-purposed as "food".
          For some reason, that still sounds a whole lot less appetizing with meat than it does with chocolate and sugar....
          I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
            For some reason, that still sounds a whole lot less appetizing with meat than it does with chocolate and sugar....
            I can't imagine why.
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

They will probably have another article saying that spam is made up small bits of spam

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
                They will probably have another article saying that spam is made up small bits of spam
                I love self-reference.
                I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

In Pennsylvania - Scrapple or the German Panhaas, or Kreppies. Most definitely no Kosher.

My father's favorite, and I grew up eating it and did not know what it was made of.
                  Last edited by shunyadragon; 01-06-2017, 07:31 PM.
                  Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                  Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                  But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                    In Pennsylvania - Scrapple or the German Panhaas, or Kreppies. Most definitely no Kosher.

My father's favorite, and I grew up eating it and did not know what it was made of.
                    Are they anything like candied, pickled goats brains. When I was a kid and in hospital the old Albanian man in the bed next to mne had a large jar of them. Look like pepermint bull's eyes (the candy not the offal). Really nice and I had a few. Then he told me what they were...

ps: I just found out what Scrapple / Panhaas is but couldn't find anything about Kreppies. What are they?
                    Last edited by elam; 01-06-2017, 08:45 PM.

Comment

My dad was big on feeding us stuff that was cheap which came from parts most people wouldn't eat - scrapple, chicken gizzards, cow tongue, liver, middlings.... It took me a while to figure out that liverwurst was made from liver, because my dad always called it Braunschweiger (which is a brand of liverwurst).

I like scrapple and cow tongue (and liverwurst, though I don't like liver).
                      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

As much as I like Weiners,/Franfurters I've always been too scared to ask: What is in them?

Here in Oz we call the sausage "Frankfurters" if they are long and "Weiners" or "cocktail frankfurts" if they are small (I prefer the little ones wrapped in fresh white bread, placed on a bed of shredded iceberg lettuce, cut open & filled with tomato sauce, & shredded cheese).

When I was a kid it was an occasional Saturday lunch treat, served on fresh sliced bread and lots of tomato sauce. My mum considered it rubbish food. Honestly, one tires of fish, salad & chips or some like permutation.

I didn't encounter "hotdogs" until I was an adult and went clubbing. On Friday & Saturday night street-carts roamed the city (often waiting outside the clubs at closing time). Nothing better to round out a night on the town

Don't see the carts around anymore. Assume Macca's & Burger King (Hungry Jack's) 24hr restaurants put them out of business.

These days, if the craving hits me, the best I can do in Sydney is go to the supermarket & DIY, Else find a "Wendy's" outlet.
                        Last edited by elam; 01-06-2017, 09:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                          My dad was big on feeding us stuff that was cheap which came from parts most people wouldn't eat - scrapple, chicken gizzards, cow tongue, liver, middlings.... It took me a while to figure out that liverwurst was made from liver, because my dad always called it Braunschweiger (which is a brand of liverwurst).

I like scrapple and cow tongue (and liverwurst, though I don't like liver).
                          We have a myriad of Cooking shows on Oz TV, but two home grown competitions that have gone international stand out. The most popular is My Kitchen Rules (MKR).which only runs for a limited season at the beginning of the year. Anyway, there have been contestants that have cooked up bits of animals that were once considered beneath the average Australian such as brains, pig cheeks, tripe, shanks and so on, and now these items are ridiculously expensive (especially pig cheeks & lamb shanks).

In days of old (actually not that long ago), you had to ask the butcher to remove the shank from a leg of lamb if you didn't want it (most people). The shank was already cut so you could fold it to fit the whole leg into the pan. It remained attached to the leg by a bit of meat. When we were kids, my sister treasured the joint. There was a bone there that she'd dry out, paint and use to play Jacks (Knucklebones) with her friends. I liked chewing on the shank, the meat was sweet and I liked to chew on the bone and suck out the marrow (not allowed to do that as an adult, people look at you weirdly if you do).

Back in the 1950s, 60s & early 70s chickens came with their giblets. These days they are sold separately. My snake neck tortoise loved chicken liver (had him for over 30 years and then he disappeared).

We never had liver or offal in our household. The only time I've had liver is if I've gone bush and ordered a "Stockman's Breakfast" (huge plate of different grilled meats, chips & salad/vegies). If you don't know what you are eating you become less discerning (Cafes in the bush call liver lamb's fry. No one likes Liver in the bush if it is called Liver).

I've had kidney in a steak & kidney pie. Seems to be a British thing. I've never seen it in the shops, only at private dinners.

I've had bulls testicles at a Miss Uruguay Australia contest I was invited to. Was served a huge plate of meat from every part of a steer (no vegetables whatsoever). The testes tasted like egg yolk to me. I asked what they were and got the reply "prairie oysters" then the penny dropped. After that I didn't ask about anything I couldn't immediately identify, or the taste was unfamiliar.

As usual I'm raving. But your remark made me think on what I may have missed out on in my life because of being finicky about food...
                          Last edited by elam; 01-06-2017, 10:41 PM.

Comment

Scrapple... Brings me back to my childhood too.
                            "The Jesus Christ who saves sinners is the same Christ who beckons his followers to serious use of their minds for serious explorations of the world." - Mark Noll

"It cannot be that the people should grow in grace unless they give themselves to reading." - John Wesley

"Wherever men are still theological, there is still some chance of their being logical." - G. K. Chesterton

Comment

Originally posted by elam View Post
                              With all that is going on in the world the Murdoch press is ensuring we have insights into what is really important...

The Sun drew our attention with the alarmist headline "KitKat’s shocking secret revealed — what’s really between the wafer layers?". It is almost a Trumpian headline worthy of the Washington Post.

"Ever wondered what the tasty filling is in between the crunchy wafers [of a Kit-Kat]?"

According to the report: "You may be surprised to hear, then, that the “chocolayer” is actually smashed-up KitKats. Mind blown".
                              What was in the first batch of Kit-Kats?
                              “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment