Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

KitKat’s shocking secret revealed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
    What was in the first batch of Kit-Kats?
    I wondered about that myself. Did a short search but haven't been able to find out.

Kit Kats taste different these days to what I remember as a kid. When I was a little kid in the 1950s they always tasted fatty to me.I presume the original filling would have been some form of emulsifier (butter? coconut oil? palm oil ?), flour?, cocoa, icing sugar?

Wiki gives the original ingredients as "milk chocolate (sugar, milk ingredients, cocoa butter, cocoa mass, whey powder, lactose, soya lecithin, polyglycerol polyricinoleate, natural flavour), wheat flour, sugar, modified palm oil, cocoa, sodium bicarbonate, soya lecithin, yeast, and natural flavour". Apparently, they had different formula for each of their markets (?)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kit_Kat
    Last edited by apostoli; 01-07-2017, 03:03 AM.

Comment

ps: Out of curiosity (and as there is nothing on TV worth watching, I haven't anything better to do this evening) I spent a little time trying to find a clearer answer to your question. No luck! However, it seems a lot of people are asking the same question you asked... and came up empty...

However, I did come across a recipe for a "Homemade Kit Kat Candy Bar" that the author claims "These homemade Kit Kat candy bars taste amazingly like the real thing..." Here is the link
      Last edited by apostoli; 01-07-2017, 02:57 AM.

Comment

This can be understood as the tunneling process in the initial conditions at the moment of nucleation from a pre-geometric state in which all our notions of space, time, energy, entropy, wafers, Kit-Kats, etc, lose their meaning.
        βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
        ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Everything but the filling inside the wafers. They probably figured out the filling later.

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
            This can be understood as the tunneling process in the initial conditions at the moment of nucleation from a pre-geometric state in which all our notions of space, time, energy, entropy, wafers, Kit-Kats, etc, lose their meaning.
            Ah, you've had Vilenkin on the job I see.
            “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

They probably started with wafer cookies mixing layers of chocolate with sweet wafers -- all covered in chocolate. When their experimental phase was over, they saw there was a high rejection rate. So the thought of smashing the bars they had made in the experimental phase in order to make a slightly different candy bar design.

Nowadays they probably make good chocolate filled wafer cookies and smash them up to use as Kit Kat filler.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
                They probably started with wafer cookies mixing layers of chocolate with sweet wafers -- all covered in chocolate. When their experimental phase was over, they saw there was a high rejection rate. So the thought of smashing the bars they had made in the experimental phase in order to make a slightly different candy bar design.

Nowadays they probably make good chocolate filled wafer cookies and smash them up to use as Kit Kat filler.
                Well I think you've solved the Kit-Kat enigma.
                “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

easy. Kit-Kats. They hired me to help out.

sparko time machine.jpg

Comment

Give me a break!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                      Give me a break!
                      ...have a Kit-Kat. <groan>

Comment

How about a crate of Twinkies for the time traveler?

First ~95% white flour, corn syrup and sugar than . . .

Source: http://science.howstuffworks.com/innovation/edible-innovations/twinkie1.htm

Monoglycerides and diglycerides, which replace eggs in the Twinkie recipe, are compounds that act as emulsifiers. They stabilize the cake batter, enhance flavor and extend shelf life [source: Ettlinger]. A very small amount of egg is used to leaven the cake. Polysorbate 60 serves a similar function to the glycerides, keeping the cream filling creamy without the use of real fat. Hydrogenated shortening replaces butter, giving the cake some of its texture and flavor and prolonging shelf life.

Taste tests by flavor experts have revealed that artificial butter flavoring is used in the cake and artificial vanilla flavoring goes into the cream filling [source: Ettlinger]. Both flavorings are chemicals derived from petroleum.

© Copyright Original Source

Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                        Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                          How about a crate of Twinkies for the time traveler?

First ~95% white flour, corn syrup and sugar than . . .

Source: http://science.howstuffworks.com/innovation/edible-innovations/twinkie1.htm

Monoglycerides and diglycerides, which replace eggs in the Twinkie recipe, are compounds that act as emulsifiers. They stabilize the cake batter, enhance flavor and extend shelf life [source: Ettlinger]. A very small amount of egg is used to leaven the cake. Polysorbate 60 serves a similar function to the glycerides, keeping the cream filling creamy without the use of real fat. Hydrogenated shortening replaces butter, giving the cake some of its texture and flavor and prolonging shelf life.

Taste tests by flavor experts have revealed that artificial butter flavoring is used in the cake and artificial vanilla flavoring goes into the cream filling [source: Ettlinger]. Both flavorings are chemicals derived from petroleum.

© Copyright Original Source

After a massive nuclear war, only two things will survive - cockroaches and twinkies.
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I prefer Coffee Crisp, thanks!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              After a massive nuclear war, only two things will survive - cockroaches and twinkies.
                              85f2739a9b0df982ef2cc991fd5f31ce.jpg

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment