Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

How do you want your body disposed of after you die?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by John Reece View Post
    I like that idea, but I suppose it would be easier to do in the wilderness of Alaska without stinking up a residential or recreational area ― unless you mean having your body buried in the woods, which I would do if the law permitted such, and if I did not already have a cemetery plot for my wife and I bought and paid for in the corner of the cemetery that abuts my woodland homestead.

Our bodies are to be placed there in plain pine coffins. That's as near to natural as local law will allow.
    I like the old Jewish practice of putting a body in a crypt until it is a skeleton. Then the bones would be dealt with.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by hansgeorg View Post
      Christian burial, please!
      What is Christian about burial. It is practices by many different cultures.
      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
        I like the old Jewish practice of putting a body in a crypt until it is a skeleton. Then the bones would be dealt with.
        I think that was only done for a fairly short period of time.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          In my will, I have a request that a preacher do the service and that he preach the gospel to every one there.
          When I am asked to do a funeral for somebody, I always ask if there are objections to me preaching the gospel. If they are opposed to me preaching the gospel, I very politely recommend they find another preacher.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            When I am asked to do a funeral for somebody, I always ask if there are objections to me preaching the gospel. If they are opposed to me preaching the gospel, I very politely recommend they find another preacher.
            yeah what better time to preach the gospel? Most funerals I have attended just remember the deceased and comfort the living. Singing hymns and praying, sure, but not really preaching the gospel. I want a freaking sermon at my funeral, teaching that if they don't have Jesus, then they are lost and that if they want to, come forward right then and there and be saved.

Of course most of my family is already saved, but I have friends who I have been after for years. If they show up at my funeral, I want them preached at one last time!

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
              I think that was only done for a fairly short period of time.
              I still prefer it to most practices. I do not think it is possible in today's world. Space limitations,

Comment

I still prefer it to most practices. I do not think it is possible in today's world. Space limitations,
                IIRC they did it BECAUSE of space limitations.
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                  IIRC they did it BECAUSE of space limitations.
                  Perhaps, but today a crypt large enough to enter, for each dead body, is not a realistic possibility.

Comment

yeah what better time to preach the gospel? Most funerals I have attended just remember the deceased and comfort the living. Singing hymns and praying, sure, but not really preaching the gospel. I want a freaking sermon at my funeral, teaching that if they don't have Jesus, then they are lost and that if they want to, come forward right then and there and be saved.

Of course most of my family is already saved, but I have friends who I have been after for years. If they show up at my funeral, I want them preached at one last time!
                    You could also write a poem or something for the occasion (as a complement, I mean). One last laser-guided reach, from the deepest of our soul.

Perhaps I'll try writing something like that in the future.
                    We are therefore Christ's ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore on Christ's behalf: 'Be reconciled to God!!'
                    - 2 Corinthians 5:20.
                    In deviantArt: ll-bisto-ll.deviantart.com
                    Christian art and more: Christians.deviantart.com

Comment

When my 2nd eldest son died a few months after his 31st birthday, I organised the funeral along the lines I had done for my youngest son's funeral. Except this time I acted as MC. At the end of my short reflection I just spontaneously threw in "My family believes in the resurrection, we have a hope!" Those couple of words seemed to have a major impact. In private people asked questions...

Comment

Originally posted by Bisto View Post
                        You could also write a poem or something for the occasion (as a complement, I mean). One last laser-guided reach, from the deepest of our soul.

Perhaps I'll try writing something like that in the future.
                        I actually thought about recording a "last time I'll be able to speak to you about Jesus" thing to play at my own funeral.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

What is Christian about burial. It is practices by many different cultures.
                          But not always in Christian ways.

For instance, some Pagans burn the body and some even omit the Dies Irae.
                          http://notontimsblogroundhere.blogspot.fr/p/apologetics-section.html

Thanks, Sparko, for telling how I add the link here!

Comment

Originally posted by hansgeorg View Post
                            But not always in Christian ways.

For instance, some Pagans burn the body and some even omit the Dies Irae.
                            Not all Christians are Roman Catholics.

Comment

...sprinkled, just a bit over each banana split...
                              Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                              MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Not all Christians are Roman Catholics.
                                Noted, Orthodox have other parts in their Moelieben than the Dies Irae ... btw, did it surface I meant among other things "not a Protestant burial"?
                                http://notontimsblogroundhere.blogspot.fr/p/apologetics-section.html

Thanks, Sparko, for telling how I add the link here!

Comment