Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Cortana: Yes or No?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cortana: Yes or No?

Does anyone like or use the Cortana feature in Windows 10?

If you use it, what do you use it for? If you avoid it, why?

I don't see any need to fool with it - I want windows to stay out of my way.

I use Classic Shell to make my computer look and work like Win7.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I never use it on my surface pro.

I used to hate Clippy too.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Do you remember Bob?

bobboot1.png
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post

I don't use it as it doesn't work if your language settings are NZ English.
          Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
          1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
          -Ben Witherington III

Comment

It is a waste of processing power.
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              Do you remember Bob?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20421[/ATTACH]
              barely.

These "personal assistants" just add more frustration to the mix. They never do what you want or understand what you ask. Although my brother has an Amazon Echo, and it works pretty well for playing music, getting weather, and playing games via voice.

I got a Raspberry Pi for Christmas and one of the projects I am thinking of is building my own Hal 9000 computer based on Amazon's Alexa system (which they allow you to use)

Comment

One of the problems I have with Cortana is that it will search the internet for stuff. If I use Windows for a search, it is for finding stuff on the computer itself. I have something called a Web Browser that I use if I want to look on the internet.

Comment

One of the problems I have with Cortana is that it will search the internet for stuff. If I use Windows for a search, it is for finding stuff on the computer itself. I have something called a Web Browser that I use if I want to look on the internet.
                  Under Cortana settings there is a switch you can turn off to tell it not to search online. It may affect all windows searches and not just Cortana searches though (the searches from the task bar).

Comment

Oh. Now I remember Clippy.

There also was a web-page object that could be called up. It was a wizard (and some other possible images) which would pop up sometimes. I sort of liked the idea. Interestingly this wizard guy could be programmed to say something -- but he also wasn't tied to the frame of the web browser. Anyhow, these have pretty much be useless gimmicks. I think Microsoft is trying to avoid being left behind. But they shouldn't resolve this by adding features to a desktop or laptop operating system -- especially when it just gets in the way of using the computer.

I think the only reason that you can't disable it is because they know that people will just do that.

Comment

Oh. Now I remember Clippy.

There also was a web-page object that could be called up. It was a wizard (and some other possible images) which would pop up sometimes. I sort of liked the idea. Interestingly this wizard guy could be programmed to say something -- but he also wasn't tied to the frame of the web browser. Anyhow, these have pretty much be useless gimmicks. I think Microsoft is trying to avoid being left behind. But they shouldn't resolve this by adding features to a desktop or laptop operating system -- especially when it just gets in the way of using the computer.

I think the only reason that you can't disable it is because they know that people will just do that.
                      actually you can disable Cortana. Again, in the cortana settings, there is a switch to turn it off.

Comment

actually you can disable Cortana. Again, in the cortana settings, there is a switch to turn it off.
                        What if you never turn it on?
                        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                          What if you never turn it on?
                          I think it is enabled by default. But you don't have to use it. You can just ignore it.

Comment

if Cortana is turned off it just becomes the regular old Windows Search. (mine has never been enabled because my Language Settings is NZ English, and it can't do that).
                            Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                            1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                            -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
                              if Cortana is turned off it just becomes the regular old Windows Search. (mine has never been enabled because my Language Settings is NZ English, and it can't do that).
                              so you are admitting that New Zealanders don't speak English then?

Comment