Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Conversation about a Dog

Dept. of Redundancy Dept. Cow Poke's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Yeah. Start with a cat. That way if you don't take good care of it, no big deal.

I never liked cats. My theory was, if you don't have rats, you don't need cats.
    Well, when my girls were little, they asked me to come out to the barn to see something. Rats were tearing into the horse feed and eating it.
    My oldest one reminded me "you said if you don't have rats, you don't need cats - and we have rats!"

So, I let them each get a cat, as long as it was an OUTSIDE cat.

Sure enough, over the next few months, I'd occasionally hear some noise on the back porch, and there would be one of the cats with a half-dead rat, mouse, snake, or other vermin. The cat wouldn't kill it until I got to see it, and the cat would kinda bat at the vermin as if to say, "see there? I'm on the job!"

It wasn't long before we seemed to be rid of rats and snakes.

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Well, when my girls were little, they asked me to come out to the barn to see something. Rats were tearing into the horse feed and eating it.
    My oldest one reminded me "you said if you don't have rats, you don't need cats - and we have rats!"

So, I let them each get a cat, as long as it was an OUTSIDE cat.

Sure enough, over the next few months, I'd occasionally hear some noise on the back porch, and there would be one of the cats with a half-dead rat, mouse, snake, or other vermin. The cat wouldn't kill it until I got to see it, and the cat would kinda bat at the vermin as if to say, "see there? I'm on the job!"

It wasn't long before we seemed to be rid of rats and snakes.
    Yeah pretty much, to cats, people are just mild annoyances.

Dept. of Redundancy Dept. Cow Poke's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Yeah pretty much, to cats, people are just mild annoyances.
    People own dogs - cats have staff.

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    People own dogs - cats have staff.
    Dogs look up to you, cats look down at you, pigs see you as equals... Churchill...
    “There is no witness so dreadful, no accuser so terrible as the conscience that dwells in the heart of every man.”

Polybius

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    A few years back I'm standing next to the stove (it was winter) and the two cats we had were standing next to me. A mouse came out of the pantry and walked right in front of us. The cats looked at the mouse, then up at me, then at each other - they didn't move! I think I was feeding them too good.
    “There is no witness so dreadful, no accuser so terrible as the conscience that dwells in the heart of every man.”

Polybius

6. Amen mikewhitney amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paula View Post
    I don't think you should ever buy an animal on impulse or because someone is trying to guilt trip you. It's a big responsibility, especially dogs that will eat up a lot of time and money (cats are much easier). If you don't feel you could put your heart into caring for the animal then I think it would be unfair to the animal to adopt it.
    I agree. One should not buy things on impulse.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    I think you just don't want the responsibility of owning a dog - and it IS a responsibility. If you acquire a pet, that pet is dependent on you for at least sustenance. Too many people like pets and decide to get one without having the responsibility to take care of it properly; that's why there are so many pets at shelters that they often have to be put down to make room for more.
    That's right. I don't want the responsibility of owning a dog.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I guess it is a scaled-down version of not feeling ready for a serious commitment like getting married (despite your liking girls/boys generally) or becoming a parent (despite your liking kids generally).

We have a dog at home, but as far as responsibility goes, he is my grandparents' dog. We used to have another dog who was functionally our own --until she passed away--, but while she was with us we shared the responsibility.Today, I know I personally couldn't take the responsibility of owning a dog by myself either.
    Last edited by Bisto; 01-11-2017 at 11:17 PM.
    We are therefore Christ's ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore on Christ's behalf: 'Be reconciled to God!!'
    - 2 Corinthians 5:20.
    In deviantArt: ll-bisto-ll.deviantart.com
    Christian art and more: Christians.deviantart.com