Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Fake news: Memos tie Trump to Russia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Meet the new boss, he's not like the old boss!
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

This is getting better and better. After Trump slammed CNN as a fake news organization at the press conference, CNN releases a statement desperately trying to distance themselves from the Buzzfeed memos:

Source: @CNNPR

CNN’s decision to publish carefully sourced reporting about the operations of our government is vastly different than BuzzFeed’s decision to publish unsubstantiated memos. The Trump team knows this. They are using BuzzFeed’s decision to deflect from CNN’s reporting, which has been matched by the other major news organisations. We are fully confident in our reporting. It represents the core of what the First Amendment protects, informing the people of the inner workings of their government; in this case, briefing materials prepared for President Obama and President-elect Trump last week. We made it clear that we were not publishing any of the details of the 35-page document because we have not corroborated the report’s allegations.

https://twitter.com/cnnpr/status/819237300668399616

© Copyright Original Source

They claim to have made it clear that they had "not corroborated the report’s allegations" even though this revelation doesn't appear until a dozen paragraphs into the story. Talk about burying the lead!

And now Buzzfeed is trying to avoid a feud with CNN after the network's harsh criticism of Buzzfeed's ethics...

That's right, Trump actually has the media turning on each other! Amazing!
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

This is getting better and better. After Trump slammed CNN as a fake news organization at the press conference, CNN releases a statement desperately trying to distance themselves from the Buzzfeed memos:

Source: @CNNPR

CNN’s decision to publish carefully sourced reporting about the operations of our government is vastly different than BuzzFeed’s decision to publish unsubstantiated memos. The Trump team knows this. They are using BuzzFeed’s decision to deflect from CNN’s reporting, which has been matched by the other major news organisations. We are fully confident in our reporting. It represents the core of what the First Amendment protects, informing the people of the inner workings of their government; in this case, briefing materials prepared for President Obama and President-elect Trump last week. We made it clear that we were not publishing any of the details of the 35-page document because we have not corroborated the report’s allegations.

https://twitter.com/cnnpr/status/819237300668399616

They claim to have made it clear that they had "not corroborated the report’s allegations" even though this revelation doesn't appear until a dozen paragraphs into the story. Talk about burying the lead!

And now Buzzfeed is trying to avoid a feud with CNN after the network's harsh criticism of Buzzfeed's ethics...

That's right, Trump actually has the media turning on each other! Amazing!
        They are like a bunch of old women gossiping. "Oh Sally! Did you hear about Trump? Why, I heard he had girls pee on the bed Obama slept in! YES! It must be true because Donna's friend, Marsha, her gardener said her friend who works in the hotel saw it with her very own eyes!"

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          They are like a bunch of old women gossiping. "Oh Sally! Did you hear about Trump? Why, I heard he had girls pee on the bed Obama slept in! YES! It must be true because Donna's friend, Marsha, her gardener said her friend who works in the hotel saw it with her very own eyes!"
          Trump's answer to these accusations was awesome. He gave a long explanation about how any time a high profile guest travels anywhere in the world, especially to places like Russia, you just have to assume there are cameras all over your hotel room recording your every move, and that he's constantly telling people he travels with "Don't do anything you don't want to see on TV." After spending several minutes on that answer, he concluded by saying, "Besides, I'm a germaphobe. I really am! I would never do anything like that. It's disgusting." This got a good-natured laugh from the reporters.

Comment

I listened to most of Trump's press conference today, and he handled himself like a pro. Very calm and cool, well-spoken, and he easily shut down every reporter who tried to get any mileage out of the false allegations. And he had fewer "um's" and "ah's" in 20-minutes than Obama has in a single sentence.
            Yeah, Trump is never at a loss for words. Sometimes I think he slips in the occasional outlandish statement just to give the press a rabbit trail to follow (most recently, about the alleged lack of gowns in the DC area).
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

CNN continues to play the "It wasn't us, it was all Buzzfeed's fault!" game. i don't know if I've ever seen them so desperate to salvage their credibility.

Source: Breitbart

During CNN’s coverage of President-Elect Donald Trump’s press conference on Wednesday, anchor Jake Tapper stated that it was “irresponsible” of Buzzfeed “to put uncorroborated information on the Internet. I can understand why President-Elect Trump would be upset about that. I would be upset about it too. It’s why we did not publish it, and why we did not detail any specifics from it, because it was uncorroborated, and that’s not what we do.”

http://www.breitbart.com/video/2017/...ot-publish-it/

Of course anybody who's read the original report knows they reported on the memos earnestly, as if there was a good chance the information was credible. Here are the opening paragraphs from CNN's original report:

Source: CNN.com

Classified documents presented last week to President Obama and President-elect Trump included allegations that Russian operatives claim to have compromising personal and financial information about Mr. Trump, multiple US officials with direct knowledge of the briefings tell CNN.

The allegations were presented in a two-page synopsis that was appended to a report on Russian interference in the 2016 election. The allegations came, in part, from memos compiled by a former British intelligence operative, whose past work US intelligence officials consider credible. The FBI is investigating the credibility and accuracy of these allegations, which are based primarily on information from Russian sources, but has not confirmed many essential details in the memos about Mr. Trump.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/10/politi...report-russia/

Saying that "The FBI is investigating the credibility and accuracy of these allegations" certainly makes it sound like this report is actionable, doesn't it? And saying that they "[have] not confirmed many of the essential details in the memos" makes it sound like other details were confirmed, which is a far cry from the truth that none of the details, essential or otherwise, were confirmed at the time.

And now we're hearing that the Michael Cohen mentioned in the memos is not Trump's attorney but someone from a different country who happened to have the same name.

Comment

CNN continues to play the "It wasn't us, it was all Buzzfeed's fault!" game. i don't know if I've ever seen them so desperate to salvage their credibility.

During CNN’s coverage of President-Elect Donald Trump’s press conference on Wednesday, anchor Jake Tapper stated that it was “irresponsible” of Buzzfeed “to put uncorroborated information on the Internet. I can understand why President-Elect Trump would be upset about that. I would be upset about it too. It’s why we did not publish it, and why we did not detail any specifics from it, because it was uncorroborated, and that’s not what we do.”

http://www.breitbart.com/video/2017/...ot-publish-it/

Of course anybody who's read the original report knows they reported on the memos earnestly, as if there was a good chance the information was credible. Here are the opening paragraphs from CNN's original report:

Source: CNN.com

Classified documents presented last week to President Obama and President-elect Trump included allegations that Russian operatives claim to have compromising personal and financial information about Mr. Trump, multiple US officials with direct knowledge of the briefings tell CNN.

The allegations were presented in a two-page synopsis that was appended to a report on Russian interference in the 2016 election. The allegations came, in part, from memos compiled by a former British intelligence operative, whose past work US intelligence officials consider credible. The FBI is investigating the credibility and accuracy of these allegations, which are based primarily on information from Russian sources, but has not confirmed many essential details in the memos about Mr. Trump.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/10/politi...report-russia/

Saying that "The FBI is investigating the credibility and accuracy of these allegations" certainly makes it sound like this report is actionable, doesn't it? And saying that they "[have] not confirmed many of the essential details in the memos" makes it sound like other details were confirmed, which is a far cry from the truth that none of the details, essential or otherwise, were confirmed at the time.

And now we're hearing that the Michael Cohen mentioned in the memos is not Trump's attorney but someone from a different country who happened to have the same name.
                It's even more irresponsible for CNN to have put that information on their site without checking into it further. So much for them being a source of "real news*".

*I didn't really count them as one anyway, but still.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  (...) Under that guideline someone could say that Trump is really a bunch of Ninja Squirrel Assassins in a human suit and due to the seriousness of such an allegation if true it must be officially investigated.
                  Man. The vote is over. I can't believe you and Sparko went forward with that plan anyway.
                  We are therefore Christ's ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore on Christ's behalf: 'Be reconciled to God!!'
                  - 2 Corinthians 5:20.
                  In deviantArt: ll-bisto-ll.deviantart.com
                  Christian art and more: Christians.deviantart.com

Comment

Hmmm...

The UK Daily Mail on Wednesday reported that Senator John McCain (R-AZ) pushed the dossier full of unverified claims about Donald Trump to the FBI:

Sworn Donald Trump enemy John McCain admitted Wednesday that he passed the dossier of claims of a Russian blackmail plot against the president-elect.

The Arizona senator issued a public statement amid mounting questions of his exact role in the affair – and how a document riddled with errors and unverifiable claims came to be published.

‘Late last year, I received sensitive information that has since been made public,’ he said.

‘Upon examination of the contents, and unable to make a judgment about their accuracy, I delivered the information to the Director of the FBI.

‘That has been the extent of my contact with the FBI or any other government agency regarding this issue.’

But the Daily Mail – which, it should be noted, seems to like McCain about as much as McCain likes Trump – argues that the “2008 Republican loser” might have been “far more intimately involved than that.”

Watergate legend Carl Bernstein is quoted telling CNN that McCain got the dossier from the former British ambassador to Moscow, who in turn got it from that mysterious “former British MI6 agent who was hired from a political opposition research firm in Washington” that we’ve been hearing so much about lately.

Isn’t this precisely the kind of political influence operation our media spent the past few weeks freaking out about, when they thought Russia ran one against Hillary Clinton?

http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...tel-community/

Comment

John McCain is junk. I suspect him of being a traitorous anti American.
                      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Ha! Now MSNBC is trying to prop up its brand by going after Buzzfeed!

During a discussion of BuzzFeed’s story on a dossier regarding Russia and President-Elect Donald Trump on Wednesday’s broadcast of MSNBC’s “MTP Daily,” host Chuck Todd told BuzzFeed Editor-in-Chief Ben Smith “you just published fake news.”

Todd said BuzzFeed’s decision to publish the dossier was an instance where they “would not have made the same decision in the pre-Trump era.”

Smith stated that it was more “the pre-Internet era.” And that there was a time “where we could act as gatekeepers. Where we could say, you know what, crazy people are claiming that Barack Obama’s birth certificate is forged, but we’re not going to write about that, that’s crazy.”

http://www.breitbart.com/video/2017/...hed-fake-news/

I like how Ben Smith laments that it used to be easier to get away with this sort of thing before the internet.

I suspect Buzzfeed thought they would get a lot more mileage out of this story and that their allies in the media would have their back. Instead the report was immediately debunked, Trump owned today's press conference, and Buzzfeed is being thrown under the bus by their media allies. In short, Ben Smith is having a very bad day.
                        Last edited by Mountain Man; 01-11-2017, 08:14 PM.

Comment

Or earlier with charges back in 1980 that the elder George Bush went to Europe to meet with Iranian leaders to schedule an October Surprise (concerning the release of 52 Americans held hostage by Iran). Even after being completely debunked Democrats were still calling for investigations not based on the facts but on the "seriousness" of the charges. Under that guideline someone could say that Trump is really a bunch of Ninja Squirrel Assassins in a human suit and due to the seriousness of such an allegation if true it must be officially investigated.
                          On one of the MSM evening news broadcasts I heard a Congressman make the same sort of argument concerning rumors (which everyone agrees are unsubstantiated), that the Russians have stuff on Trump that they're going to use to blackmail him with, that was made about Bush which was forget the fact that there is no evidence and preliminary investigations found the story to be full of holes, this needs to be investigated because of the seriousness of the allegation.

I'm sure he would have had the same opinion if Hillary won and someone claimed without a shred of evidence that she had Carrie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds knocked off. We need an official investigation because of the seriousness of the charge.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

On one of the MSM evening news broadcasts I heard a Congressman make the same sort of argument concerning rumors (which everyone agrees are unsubstantiated), that the Russians have stuff on Trump that they're going to use to blackmail him with, that was made about Bush which was forget the fact that there is no evidence and preliminary investigations found the story to be full of holes, this needs to be investigated because of the seriousness of the allegation.

I'm sure he would have had the same opinion if Hillary won and someone claimed without a shred of evidence that she had Carrie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds knocked off. We need an official investigation because of the seriousness of the charge.
                            If I was Donald, after the inauguration, I'd wait a week or so and than announce a FBI investigation into unAmerican activities by certain people, even within his own party!

That should shake things up a bit, and Donald could drag the investigation out for the next four years...to keep McCain and Trump's other enemies in check...

It is rumoured (suggested in some reports) that McCain and other anti-Trump Republican's conspired to disseminate the dozier knowing it to be fake and even invented a fictitious background story (MI6 etc) to give the dozier credabiity....

One commentator observed that the debunking of this latest fake news has put the intelligence agencies and news portals on the back foot = their credibility has been totally compromised...
                            Last edited by elam; 01-11-2017, 11:50 PM.

Comment

You can get a glimpse at what the media had planned with this early report from Esquire with its mocking "Haha! We've really got himEdited by a Moderator now!" tone:

http://www.esquire.com/news-politics...ussia-twitter/

I don't think liberals were expecting this story to blow up in their faces, at least not as quickly and with the volatility that it did. This was THE story early yesterday morning. I didn't hear a peep about it this morning on my drive in to work. I think we might be looking at the biggest narrative backfire since Hillary's speechwriter came up with that "basket of deplorables" line.
                              Last edited by Jedidiah; 01-12-2017, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Not sure if the memos link had been listed above:
                                https://www.documentcloud.org/docume...legations.html
                                “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                                “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                                “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment