Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Fake news: Memos tie Trump to Russia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fake news: Memos tie Trump to Russia

Memos have recently surfaced making outlandish claims that President-Elect Donald Trump has direct ties to Russia. This would be a bombshell revelation if it weren't for one, small problem: none of the claims have been independently verified. In CNN's own report, this startling admission is quietly buried a dozen paragraphs below the headline:

Source: CNN

The memos originated as opposition research, first commissioned by anti-Trump Republicans, and later by Democrats. At this point, CNN is not reporting on details of the memos, as it has not independently corroborated the specific allegations.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/10/politi...report-russia/

© Copyright Original Source

(Emphasis mine)

Apparently this report has been pitched to multiple news organizations over the past six-months, but nobody would touch it because, as CNN said, the allegations could not be independently corroborated. Buzzfeed finally took the plunge last night to publish the memos, and even they admit that the information can't be verified! Buzzfeed's Ben Smith had this to say through Twitter:

Source: @BuzzFeedBen

As you have probably seen, this evening we published a secret dossier making explosive and unverified allegations about Donald Trump and Russia. [...] As we noted in our story, there is serious reason to doubt the allegations.

https://twitter.com/buzzfeedben/stat...78955965464580

(Emphasis mine)

Same admission from one of the hacks at Mother Jones:

Source: @DavidCornDC

For those asking, I didn't publish the full memos from the intelligence operative because I could not confirm the allegations.

https://twitter.com/DavidCornDC/stat...rc=twsrc%5Etfw

Not only can the allegations not be verified, but one of the key claims, that Trump and special counsel Michael Cohen visited a Russian agent in Prague, has been debunked:

Source: Breitbart

The allegations in the Buzzfeed document dump are that Trump had secret financial dealings with Russia, and that Trump’s special counsel Michael Cohen was a main point of contact between these mysterious Russian forces and Team Trump.

The documents allege that Cohen traveled to Russia and Prague to arrange these deals. But Cohen says he has never even been to Prague or Russia.

[...]

Cohen said that on the day that he was supposedly overseas making secret deals for Trump, he was actually visiting the University of Southern California with his son to meet with a baseball coach.

[Rosie Gray, reporter for The Atlantic,] found a USC source that confirmed Cohen was there during the time the documents claim he was in Prague.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...-never-russia/

Of course none of this is stopping liberals from acting like they've really got something here.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Elam in the other thread, gave a link to a reddit post that said it was all a troll based on fanfic.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-0...mp-report-hoax

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      Elam in the other thread, gave a link to a reddit post that said it was all a troll based on fanfic.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-0...mp-report-hoax
      I saw that, but I figured I'd focus the OP on liberal hacks from CNN and Buzzfeed admitting that the information couldn't be verified so as to preempt any of the "usual suspects" from taking issue with the sources.

Comment

But since I did quote Breitbart quoting The Atlantic, here's the original source for the sake of completeness:

Source: The Atlantic

Cohen said that during the time the report places him in Prague, he was actually with his son visiting USC and meeting with the baseball coach. A USC baseball source confirmed Tuesday night that Cohen and his son had visited USC on August 29th. Cohen said that he was in Los Angeles from the 23rd through the 29th of August, and that the rest of the month he was in New York. He said that his only trip to an EU country over the summer had been a vacation to Italy in July. In one instance, the dossier places the alleged Prague travel in "August/September 2016." Cohen said he was in New York for the entire month of September.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...-trump/512762/

Comment

I like how the MSM says "it is not verified" as a way to say "it COULD be true but we just can't confirm it" - instead of just saying "this is so obviously fake, but we want to smear Trump as much as possible so here we go" - basically trying to give it some credibility (which it does not deserve)

Comment

It's like Dan Rather's "fake but accurate" memo scandal all over again. Back then the news industry still cared enough about journalistic ethics to force him to retire in disgrace, but we're now in the post-Brian Williams era where "journalists" can apparently lie with impunity.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              It's like Dan Rather's "fake but accurate" memo scandal all over again. Back then the news industry still cared enough about journalistic ethics to force him to retire in disgrace, but we're now in the post-Brian Williams era where "journalists" can apparently lie with impunity.
              yeah they are not even trying to pretend to be unbiased or truthful any more.

Comment

31229699c7e90a398e014c2d4ad38c6d.jpg
                That's what
                - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Or earlier with charges back in 1980 that the elder George Bush went to Europe to meet with Iranian leaders to schedule an October Surprise (concerning the release of 52 Americans held hostage by Iran). Even after being completely debunked Democrats were still calling for investigations not based on the facts but on the "seriousness" of the charges. Under that guideline someone could say that Trump is really a bunch of Ninja Squirrel Assassins in a human suit and due to the seriousness of such an allegation if true it must be officially investigated.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    Or earlier with charges back in 1980 that the elder George Bush went to Europe to meet with Iranian leaders to schedule an October Surprise (concerning the release of 52 Americans held hostage by Iran). Even after being completely debunked Democrats were still calling for investigations not based on the facts but on the "seriousness" of the charges. Under that guideline someone could say that Trump is really a bunch of Ninja Squirrel Assassins in a human suit and due to the seriousness of such an allegation if true it must be officially investigated.
                    Don't forget that Space Aliens got Bush elected! It was in the news!

Comment

I listened to most of Trump's press conference today, and he handled himself like a pro. Very calm and cool, well-spoken, and he easily shut down every reporter who tried to get any mileage out of the false allegations. And he had fewer "um's" and "ah's" in 20-minutes than Obama has in a single sentence.

Comment

Looks like another major claim has been debunked: Trump was not briefed on these salacious memos -- they were only brought along to show Trump what "unvetted disinformation" looked like, but he was never actually briefed on them -- and furthermore, intelligence officials say there is zero evidence that the allegations are true.

Source: Breitbart

Quoting MSNBC, "[A] senior US intelligence official who was involved in the preparation for the meeting tells NBC that the president-elect was not briefed on this so-called two-page addendum of these allegations against him, that it was part of the briefing materials available to the briefers, but it was not included because they believed it to be true, it was included for a different reason. It was included should they feel they needed to explain to Mr. Trump the difference between analyzed intelligence, and what they’re calling unvetted disinformation, that it was available for that purpose, and that it never came up. Importantly, documents were never presented to Mr. Trump or his team. This was an oral briefing. One reason is that Trump’s — at Trump Tower there’s no place to contain top-secret documents. This was an oral briefing, and we’re told definitively that this was not told to Mr. Trump at the time. And I just want to say one other thing, according to a high-ranking senior US intelligence official, and I’m quoting, ‘Intel and law enforcement officials agree that none of the investigations have found any conclusive or direct link between Mr. Trump and the Russian government, period.'

http://www.breitbart.com/video/2017/...isinformation/

Again, emphasis mine.

Gee, why haven't any of the "usual suspects" responded to this thread? You guys know who you are.

Comment

"Hello Democrat Comrade!

I am Vladimir Putins, the Russian President. Recently I came into many, many emails that prove Trump is Russian Spy and has mutant sex slaves in Chernobyl.

Due to being in Kremlin, I not able to release emails directly to wikileaks. KGB is watching me like hawk! Trump not to be trusted with Nuclear Footballs! So to save America and Russia, I need help. From only YOU comrade!
                          Please contact me immediately so I can transfers damning emails to you and you can release to public! I would send for free, but unfortunately they are being held hostage by dropbox because I not pay my bill. So to save world, please send me $10,000 so I can pay dropbox and get emails to send to you.

Fate of free world is in your hands!

Your friend
                          VP"

Comment

I hope Trump provided a safe space with puppies and crayons for the "journalists" after that press conference beat-down.

Meet the new boss, he's not like the old boss!

Comment

I listened to most of Trump's press conference today, and he handled himself like a pro. Very calm and cool, well-spoken, and he easily shut down every reporter who tried to get any mileage out of the false allegations. And he had fewer "um's" and "ah's" in 20-minutes than Obama has in a single sentence.
                              He did an excellent job, I loved when he called out the CNN reporter and said he was "fake news." The liberal press just doesn't know what to do with this guy!
                              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment