Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fake news: Memos tie Trump to Russia

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Fake news: Memos tie Trump to Russia

Memos have recently surfaced making outlandish claims that President-Elect Donald Trump has direct ties to Russia. This would be a bombshell revelation if it weren't for one, small problem: none of the claims have been independently verified. In CNN's own report, this startling admission is quietly buried a dozen paragraphs below the headline:

Source: CNN

The memos originated as opposition research, first commissioned by anti-Trump Republicans, and later by Democrats. At this point, CNN is not reporting on details of the memos, as it has not independently corroborated the specific allegations.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/10/politi...report-russia/

© Copyright Original Source

(Emphasis mine)

Apparently this report has been pitched to multiple news organizations over the past six-months, but nobody would touch it because, as CNN said, the allegations could not be independently corroborated. Buzzfeed finally took the plunge last night to publish the memos, and even they admit that the information can't be verified! Buzzfeed's Ben Smith had this to say through Twitter:

Source: @BuzzFeedBen

As you have probably seen, this evening we published a secret dossier making explosive and unverified allegations about Donald Trump and Russia. [...] As we noted in our story, there is serious reason to doubt the allegations.

https://twitter.com/buzzfeedben/stat...78955965464580

(Emphasis mine)

Same admission from one of the hacks at Mother Jones:

Source: @DavidCornDC

For those asking, I didn't publish the full memos from the intelligence operative because I could not confirm the allegations.

https://twitter.com/DavidCornDC/stat...rc=twsrc%5Etfw

Not only can the allegations not be verified, but one of the key claims, that Trump and special counsel Michael Cohen visited a Russian agent in Prague, has been debunked:

Source: Breitbart

The allegations in the Buzzfeed document dump are that Trump had secret financial dealings with Russia, and that Trump’s special counsel Michael Cohen was a main point of contact between these mysterious Russian forces and Team Trump.

The documents allege that Cohen traveled to Russia and Prague to arrange these deals. But Cohen says he has never even been to Prague or Russia.

[...]

Cohen said that on the day that he was supposedly overseas making secret deals for Trump, he was actually visiting the University of Southern California with his son to meet with a baseball coach.

[Rosie Gray, reporter for The Atlantic,] found a USC source that confirmed Cohen was there during the time the documents claim he was in Prague.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...-never-russia/

Of course none of this is stopping liberals from acting like they've really got something here.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Elam in the other thread, gave a link to a reddit post that said it was all a troll based on fanfic.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-0...mp-report-hoax

3. Amen Mountain Man, Cerebrum123, Darth Ovious amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Elam in the other thread, gave a link to a reddit post that said it was all a troll based on fanfic.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-0...mp-report-hoax
    I saw that, but I figured I'd focus the OP on liberal hacks from CNN and Buzzfeed admitting that the information couldn't be verified so as to preempt any of the "usual suspects" from taking issue with the sources.

5. Amen John Reece amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    But since I did quote Breitbart quoting The Atlantic, here's the original source for the sake of completeness:

Source: The Atlantic

Cohen said that during the time the report places him in Prague, he was actually with his son visiting USC and meeting with the baseball coach. A USC baseball source confirmed Tuesday night that Cohen and his son had visited USC on August 29th. Cohen said that he was in Los Angeles from the 23rd through the 29th of August, and that the rest of the month he was in New York. He said that his only trip to an EU country over the summer had been a vacation to Italy in July. In one instance, the dossier places the alleged Prague travel in "August/September 2016." Cohen said he was in New York for the entire month of September.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...-trump/512762/

7. Amen John Reece amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I like how the MSM says "it is not verified" as a way to say "it COULD be true but we just can't confirm it" - instead of just saying "this is so obviously fake, but we want to smear Trump as much as possible so here we go" - basically trying to give it some credibility (which it does not deserve)

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    It's like Dan Rather's "fake but accurate" memo scandal all over again. Back then the news industry still cared enough about journalistic ethics to force him to retire in disgrace, but we're now in the post-Brian Williams era where "journalists" can apparently lie with impunity.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    It's like Dan Rather's "fake but accurate" memo scandal all over again. Back then the news industry still cared enough about journalistic ethics to force him to retire in disgrace, but we're now in the post-Brian Williams era where "journalists" can apparently lie with impunity.
    yeah they are not even trying to pretend to be unbiased or truthful any more.

11. Amen John Reece amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals --- Manya the Holy Szin --- The Quintara Marathon ---

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common --- Stephen R. Donaldson ---

13. Amen John Reece amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Or earlier with charges back in 1980 that the elder George Bush went to Europe to meet with Iranian leaders to schedule an October Surprise (concerning the release of 52 Americans held hostage by Iran). Even after being completely debunked Democrats were still calling for investigations not based on the facts but on the "seriousness" of the charges. Under that guideline someone could say that Trump is really a bunch of Ninja Squirrel Assassins in a human suit and due to the seriousness of such an allegation if true it must be officially investigated.

I'm always still in trouble again

15. Amen John Reece amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    Or earlier with charges back in 1980 that the elder George Bush went to Europe to meet with Iranian leaders to schedule an October Surprise (concerning the release of 52 Americans held hostage by Iran). Even after being completely debunked Democrats were still calling for investigations not based on the facts but on the "seriousness" of the charges. Under that guideline someone could say that Trump is really a bunch of Ninja Squirrel Assassins in a human suit and due to the seriousness of such an allegation if true it must be officially investigated.
    Don't forget that Space Aliens got Bush elected! It was in the news!

17. Amen John Reece, Darth Ovious amen'd this post.