Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Fake news: Memos tie Trump to Russia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Ha! Now MSNBC is trying to prop up its brand by going after Buzzfeed!

Source: Breitbart

During a discussion of BuzzFeed’s story on a dossier regarding Russia and President-Elect Donald Trump on Wednesday’s broadcast of MSNBC’s “MTP Daily,” host Chuck Todd told BuzzFeed Editor-in-Chief Ben Smith “you just published fake news.”

Todd said BuzzFeed’s decision to publish the dossier was an instance where they “would not have made the same decision in the pre-Trump era.”

Smith stated that it was more “the pre-Internet era.” And that there was a time “where we could act as gatekeepers. Where we could say, you know what, crazy people are claiming that Barack Obama’s birth certificate is forged, but we’re not going to write about that, that’s crazy.”

http://www.breitbart.com/video/2017/...hed-fake-news/

© Copyright Original Source

I like how Ben Smith laments that it used to be easier to get away with this sort of thing before the internet.

I suspect Buzzfeed thought they would get a lot more mileage out of this story and that their allies in the media would have their back. Instead the report was immediately debunked, Trump owned today's press conference, and Buzzfeed is being thrown under the bus by their media allies. In short, Ben Smith is having a very bad day.
    Why was anyone taking Buzzfeed seriously in the first place? They are not a news agency. They are a gossip blog. Most of what they "publish" is goofy hollywood scandals and idiot lists. Like "27 Tumblr Posts that will make you laugh at least once, I promise" and "What Percent Stationery Addict Are You?"

Their JOB is fake news and irrelevant nonsense.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      Why was anyone taking Buzzfeed seriously in the first place? They are not a news agency. They are a gossip blog. Most of what they "publish" is goofy hollywood scandals and idiot lists. Like "27 Tumblr Posts that will make you laugh at least once, I promise" and "What Percent Stationery Addict Are You?"

Their JOB is fake news and irrelevant nonsense.
      That didn't stop CNN from treating the story with a sense of gravity. Too bad for them that Trump rubbed their nose in it and said, "Bad news organization! Bad news organization!"
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

A reporter for the Politico proves what a hack he is by defending Buzzfeed's decision to run with the fake news story. He insists that Buzzfeed had no other choice because the memo was part of a government report.

Politico columnist Jack Shafer says he would have done what BuzzFeed did and published the raw, unverified report alleging President-elect Donald Trump engaged in extremely graphic sexual fetishism at the Ritz-Carlton in Moscow.

“If you’re asking if I would have published the raw report if I had been sitting in the editor Ben Smith’s BuzzFeed cockpit, the answer is yes,” Shafer writes in an op-ed piece called, “The Coup Before the Inauguration.”

Once the dodgy claims became part of a government report, “what other choice did they have?” he wrote.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...port-on-trump/

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          Why was anyone taking Buzzfeed seriously in the first place? .
          Tazzy did.
          That's what
          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
            Tazzy did.
            Anyone with a working brain cell?

Comment

Buzz feed is scum.
              sigpic

Comment

And now it takes a darker turn... according to a respected Israeli newspaper, the Obama administration may have used this fake "dossier" to drive a wedge between the Trump administration and Israel.

U.S. intelligence officials warned their Israeli counterparts not to trust President-elect Donald Trump with intelligence secrets, citing alleged fears that Russia held blackmail information over Trump, according to a report today in Israel’s respected Yediot Ahronot daily newspaper.

The alleged blackmail information that U.S. officials reportedly warned Israel about seems to be in part referencing details contained in a debunked document of mysterious origin purporting to be an intelligence report alleging that Russia collected compromising videos and information on Trump.

[...]

Contacted by Breitbart Jerusalem, Bergman said that according to his sources, the meeting between U.S. and Israeli officials took place before the publication of the dossier on Tuesday and that the dossier wasn’t specifically mentioned to the Israelis, only the charge that Russian President Vladimir Putin has some sort of unspecified “leverage” over Trump.

Bergman said that after the dossier was published, he contacted his sources again and they told him that they themselves were speculating that the “leverage” claim could have in part referred to the dossier.

http://www.breitbart.com/jerusalem/2...rusting-trump/

Comment

And now it takes a darker turn... according to a respected Israeli newspaper, the Obama administration may have used this fake "dossier" to drive a wedge between the Trump administration and Israel.

U.S. intelligence officials warned their Israeli counterparts not to trust President-elect Donald Trump with intelligence secrets, citing alleged fears that Russia held blackmail information over Trump, according to a report today in Israel’s respected Yediot Ahronot daily newspaper.

The alleged blackmail information that U.S. officials reportedly warned Israel about seems to be in part referencing details contained in a debunked document of mysterious origin purporting to be an intelligence report alleging that Russia collected compromising videos and information on Trump.

[...]

Contacted by Breitbart Jerusalem, Bergman said that according to his sources, the meeting between U.S. and Israeli officials took place before the publication of the dossier on Tuesday and that the dossier wasn’t specifically mentioned to the Israelis, only the charge that Russian President Vladimir Putin has some sort of unspecified “leverage” over Trump.

Bergman said that after the dossier was published, he contacted his sources again and they told him that they themselves were speculating that the “leverage” claim could have in part referred to the dossier.

http://www.breitbart.com/jerusalem/2...rusting-trump/

I'm pretty sure that, at this point, any suggestions to the Israelis from the Obama administration are going straight to the circular file.
                  Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                    I'm pretty sure that, at this point, any suggestions to the Israelis from the Obama administration are going straight to the circular file.
                    No doubt, but the fact that the Obama admin is actively trying to damage international relations before Trump takes office is pretty bad, maybe even treasonous.

Comment

No doubt, but the fact that the Obama admin is actively trying to damage international relations before Trump takes office is pretty bad, maybe even treasonous.
                      Par for the course for Dems these days. The last time a Republican took the White House, they resorted to petty vandalism. This time, they're escalating.
                      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

0000000000000buzzfd.jpg

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Apparently it's not over... CNN and Buzzfeed are still at each other's throats over this fiasco.

BRIAN STELTER (CNN): ...what you did is irresponsible and that hurts us all.

BEN SMITH (Buzzfeed): I wouldn’t say it was irresponsible to say we have a secret document and we’re not going to share it. I would disagree with that but I think it’s a reasonable thought.

STELTER: It’s not possible to have unity in the press corps if Buzzfeed is acting more like Wikileaks just dumping material on the internet and telling the audience to decide if it’s true or not.

SMITH: I think we reported a very important story —

STELTER: There’s a difference between publishing and reporting.

http://www.breitbart.com/video/2017/...trump-dossier/

Of course the difference between Buzzfeed and WikiLeaks is that WikiLeaks vets everything before they publish it, and they have a perfect track record.
                          Last edited by Mountain Man; 01-15-2017, 02:29 PM.

Comment

McCain seems to be furiously backpedaling:

"The president-elect has a point. This information, this damning information which, by the way, was provided to me, and I made no judgment on it, but handed it over to the FBI. But the fact that this un-validated, to say the least, document was leaked is somebody’s responsibility. So the president-elect does have a point here I mean after all. So I think that that’s something that may be missing in this discussion."

http://www.breitbart.com/video/2017/...totally-wrong/

Comment

OK, this is hilarious:

Source: Bloomberg

Trump is “a grown man, and secondly he’s someone who has been involved with beauty contests for many years and has met the most beautiful women in the world,” Putin said. “I find it hard to believe that he rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world.”

https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/a...utes-in-russia

The article goes on to note that 'Trump wasn’t a politician when he visited Moscow in the past, and Russian officials weren’t aware that he held any political ambitions. It’s “complete nonsense” to believe that Russian security services “chase after every American billionaire,” [Putin] said.'

Comment

McCain seems to be furiously backpedaling:

"The president-elect has a point. This information, this damning information which, by the way, was provided to me, and I made no judgment on it, but handed it over to the FBI. But the fact that this un-validated, to say the least, document was leaked is somebody’s responsibility. So the president-elect does have a point here I mean after all. So I think that that’s something that may be missing in this discussion."

http://www.breitbart.com/video/2017/...totally-wrong/

The "something that may be missing" is McCain's brain.
                                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment