Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Definition of Anti-Semite : Someone Who Hates Jewish People

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by elam View Post
    Heh, "tainted" is totally inoffensive to all Christians - original sin is core to our central doctrines. My Jewish friends introduced the term to me to explain to me why each Jewish individual perceives that they have been "marked" by HaShem for suffering. I'll doubt any Jew would contest the term when used in the context I have previously given.

I'm not interested in the sensibilities of some delicate petals who will find offense at words rather than than the injustices they regularly see on TV.

One of the definitions you provided for "tainted" does fit my Jewish friends context...

* affect with a bad or undesirable quality.
    "his existence was tainted by suffering".
    You're playing games. When Christians use the term in describing original sin, they are speaking of a universal condition of all humanity, perhaps even all creation, and it clearly has a most negative connotation. You, on the other hand, are using the term specifically for anyone that has Jewish ancestry. That you do not believe any Jews would contest the term is untested. You then make a false dichotomy between those who find offense at words and those who are offended by injustices regularly seen on TV.
    βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
    ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

I said with what he's said so far it's trending towards the latter. It's not a stretch when someone makes distasteful remarks* about a certain group, repeatedly, doesn't like said group.

*"tainted", "final solution", and another term I've never heard from anyone that wasn't anti-Semitic "Jewry".
      You are a great laugh. The word "Jewry" is the term used by Jewish publications to refer to the Jews of the world. Have a look at the following from the Jewish Virtual Library...
      http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/...sm/jewpop.html

If the word is good enough for the Jews, it is good enough for me!

To find umbrage with words that even Jews use regularly, gives me the feeling you have something on your conscious, some prejudice that you are suppressing (?)

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
        You're playing games. When Christians use the term in describing original sin, they are speaking of a universal condition of all humanity, perhaps even all creation, and it clearly has a most negative connotation. You, on the other hand, are using the term specifically for anyone that has Jewish ancestry. That you do not believe any Jews would contest the term is untested. You then make a false dichotomy between those who find offense at words and those who are offended by injustices regularly seen on TV.
        No false dichotomy. Were you offended by Russia's action in East Aleppo? If you answer yes then I have to ask whether you were offended by Israel's bombing of defenseless civilians in Lebanon? And/or were you offended by Israel's unprovoked attack on civilians in Syria just a day or so ago?

As for word games. I used a definition you yourself provided and provided an application of the term.

Earlier I remarked that in my understanding the Jews saw themselves as cursed = their existence has been tainted by suffering. They suffer not because of religion but because of their ethnicity = their bloodline carries the curse of HaShem.

Why have the Jews been persecuted for centuries according to you?
        Last edited by elam; 01-14-2017, 12:12 PM.

Comment

No false dichotomy. Were you offended by Russia's action in East Aleppo? If you answer yeas then I have to ask whether you were offended by Israel's attack on defenseless civilians in Lebanon?
          Yes, and yes. Therefore false dichotomy.

As for word games. I used a definition you yourself provided and provided an application of the term.

Earlier I remarked that in my understanding the Jews saw themselves as cursed = their existence has been tainted by suffering. They suffer not because of religion but because of their ethnicity = their bloodline carries the curse of HaShem.

Why have the Jews been persecuted for centuries according to you?
          Largely because of various forms of anti-semitism. I do not blame God evil deeds and actions of humans.

Comment

Yes, and yes. Therefore false dichotomy
            Sorry I can't see it in my original prose = "I'm not interested in the sensibilities of some delicate petals who will find offense at words rather than than the injustices they regularly see on TV".

That you find both the Russian & Israeli actions offensive is a good sign. But aren't you therefore criticising Israel for what they see as defensive actions, and if so, in the eyes of Israel, you are denying their right to exist. Therefore you must be anti-semitic. That is the typical Israeli argument. Do you agree with it?

Largely because of various forms of anti-semitism. I do not blame God evil deeds and actions of humans.
            According to the Jewish scriptures it is HaShem (God) that delivers all calamity to whomever he wills. Do you deny them this testimony often repeated in the OT. If so you must be anti-semitic.

See how silly the anti-semitic card can get.

Comment

You are a great laugh. The word "Jewry" is the term used by Jewish publications to refer to the Jews of the world. Have a look at the following from the Jewish Virtual Library...
              http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/...sm/jewpop.html

If the word is good enough for the Jews, it is good enough for me!

To find umbrage with words that even Jews use regularly, gives me the feeling you have something on your conscious, some prejudice that you are suppressing (?)
              Okay, then I'm wrong about the terms general usage. Doesn't mean that my experience hasn't been otherwise.

Comment

Sorry I can't see it in my original prose = "I'm not interested in the sensibilities of some delicate petals who will find offense at words rather than than the injustices they regularly see on TV".
                Simple. There are those who can rightly be offended at words (without or without being 'delicate petals', by the way) who are also offended by injustices they regularly see on TV.

That you find both the Russian & Israeli actions offensive is a good sign. But aren't you therefore criticising Israel for what they see as defensive actions, and if so, in the eyes of Israel, you are denying their right to exist. Therefore you must be anti-semitic. That is the typical Israeli argument. Do you agree with it?
                Of course not, regardless of whether or not you are correct in characterizing what you perceived to be 'the typical Israeli argument'. Nor do I agree with your portrayal of what some see as necessary defensive actions on the part of Israel defensive forces and policies as Israel supposedly trying to impose a Nazi-like 'final solution' on the Palestinians.

According to the Jewish scriptures it is HaShem (God) that delivers all calamity to whomever he wills. Do you deny them this testimony often repeated in the OT. If so you must be anti-semitic.
                Nonsense. I simply agree with St Paul's understanding of God's final solution for all Israel rather than with your interpretations.

See how silly the anti-semitic card can get.
                Which is why I am cautioning you about your irresponsible use of language, which at times does seem to skirt toward anti-semitic tropes and other times is simply ignorant or inconsistent. I do not claim to know what is in your heart, whether your attitudes toward Jews or Israel are genuinely just or correct or not, nor do I have an in depth understanding of all the political realities on the ground in Israel. I tend to agree with many criticisms of the the state of Israel, from the little I do know of the local politics, but I do not elevate my current level of understanding with being able to speak for God with what you consider to be his final solution for Israel.

Comment

Originally posted by John Reece View Post
                  It is enlightening to compare the curriculua of Israeli schools for children with that of Palestinian schools for children...
                  Are Muslim and Christian Palestinians going to same schools?

It is even more enlightening to compare the Israel schools provided to Ashkenazi Jews and those provided to the other Jewish ethnicities and those provided to Israeli-Palestinians...
                  Are all schools in both Israel and Palestinian authority region state provided?

Is homeschooling allowed? Are private schools allowed?
                  http://notontimsblogroundhere.blogspot.fr/p/apologetics-section.html

Thanks, Sparko, for telling how I add the link here!

Comment

There is an israeli (Jewish) advocacy group who are pushing for a secular Israeli state - the single state solution where Palestinians are allowed to return to there tradition lands and (in theory) live harmoniously with the Jews. I can't see it happening while the Zionists (as opposed to Jews) demand recognition of a Jews only state...
                    I recognize the right of various branches of Judaism to define Jewish identity in various manners. For example, Karaite and Reform Judaism do recognize a role of patrilineal descent in determining who is and who is not a Jew in their views. You have not determined anyone's bloodline, but you have attempted to exclude anyone who supports some form(s) of zionism from being Jews--is that not correct?
                    I know there are religious Jews who not only reject Israel but also excommunicate from their synagogues whoever accepts Zionism.

Comment

From the late 19th century Jews were persecuted in most European states, it started in Russia and then spread to Poland, France, Germany etc.
                      How exactly were Jews persecuted in France or Germany from late 19th C?

One ancestress of mine - who became a Christian when marrying - fled from a pogrom in Palestine (then Turkish mandate) to Paris in the time of Napoleon III.

That Antisemitism existed is true, but it was as much a fringe position in III:rd Republic as Antimasonism. It was not a serious immediate threat of persecution, much less a persecution, of Jews any more than Antimasonism had any realistic hopes of banning freemasonry.

If you mean low intensity below the radar of authorities, that might be another thing.

Comment

In Bavaria and Austria, Jews may have been fairly impopular due to Prussian / Jewish interests so much coinciding up to 1916.

Comment