Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Mansplaining?Really?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Trout View Post
    Having facilitated a business meeting every Wednesday for seventeen years I have found it quite the opposite. The wimmen folk have zero trouble holding the floor/getting their point across. This whole mansplaning idea is yet another attempt at feminizing the American male.
    That's because you were the hiring manager and you hired women as opposed to hiring girls.
    Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
      Maybe they are more tomboyish? They might have grown up with several brothers and learned their communication skills from them? Are you boys going to keep ignoring me?
      What would you like to discuss? I pretty much agree with your assessment that it's all about manners of an individual rather than gender.
      “I didn’t go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of Port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don’t recommend Christianity.” - C.S. Lewis

Comment

Could you males please respond to me? Y'all keep ignoring me!!!!
        That's because everyone apart from Leohnard agrees with you and Leohnard is probably just too polite to tell you he disagrees with you. Afterall he wouldn't want to mansplain to you why he thinks you are wrong.
        “I didn’t go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of Port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don’t recommend Christianity.” - C.S. Lewis

Comment

I think this issue has lots of dimensions and, indeed, to narrow it down to gender is having an incomplete picture.

I've seen women who do the detailed explaining to men so they absolutely cannot say they didn't understand what was said. Men too.

I've seen men be condescending jerks to both men and women. When I get the condescended end, I choose to not reply or maybe ridicule them myself. I do know that if I've made my opinion to be respected on some topic, then when and if I intervene, I'll be heard on the merits of what I say and not the jerkness or lack thereof I use to say it.

And if I see in some conversation it's just been the most outspoken people who have been talking most of the time, I'll actively seek to make the more shy people on the group voice their opinion, whether male or female. We all know the other guys' views well enough by then, so the benefit of continuing to hear them is marginal at best.
          We are therefore Christ's ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore on Christ's behalf: 'Be reconciled to God!!'
          - 2 Corinthians 5:20.
          In deviantArt: ll-bisto-ll.deviantart.com
          Christian art and more: Christians.deviantart.com

Comment

This thread is silly. So, this is yet another case of humans all being unique and not perfect stereotypes? And you boys are arguing about nothing since most of you agree that the problem is reallly that some people can be jerks but there are ways to deal with it other than crying about it?
            If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Stereotypes are stupid.
              Usually, but not always.

For instance, if you're walking down a dark street and spot a couple teenage to twenty-something young men who appear to be following you while trying to stick to the shadows, is it stupid to stereotype them as very likely being up to no good and a potential threat? Or are you just using common sense?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                Usually, but not always.

For instance, if you're walking down a dark street and spot a couple teenage to twenty-something young men who appear to be following you while trying to stick to the shadows, is it stupid to stereotype them as very likely being up to no good and a potential threat? Or are you just using common sense?
                No. Even if they think they are playing hide and seek(yeah right), that is typical mugger behavior. I've heard they are a superstitious and cowardly lot. They may have a phobia of bats if they are from a certain fictional universe.

Comment

This thread is silly. So, this is yet another case of humans all being unique and not perfect stereotypes? And you boys are arguing about nothing since most of you agree that the problem is reallly that some people can be jerks but there are ways to deal with it other than crying about it?
                  sexist.gif

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]20468[/ATTACH]

I'm the only girl on the thread at the moment. Oh, I meant LADY!

Comment

I'm the only girl on the thread at the moment. Oh, I meant LADY!
                      Excuuuuuuuse me, but did you just ASSUME OUR GENDER?!?!?
                      "The Jesus Christ who saves sinners is the same Christ who beckons his followers to serious use of their minds for serious explorations of the world." - Mark Noll

"It cannot be that the people should grow in grace unless they give themselves to reading." - John Wesley

"Wherever men are still theological, there is still some chance of their being logical." - G. K. Chesterton

Comment

Originally posted by JB DoulosChristou View Post
                        Excuuuuuuuse me, but did you just ASSUME OUR GENDER?!?!?
                        Well, everyone but me in this thread has male under their name...

Comment

I'm pretty sure most of the posters on this thread are older gentlemen and only a handful of us can still be described as "boys"

But yeah, this thread could use more female opinions.
                          Where is the bearer of the Rolling Pin(TM)?
                          We are therefore Christ's ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore on Christ's behalf: 'Be reconciled to God!!'
                          - 2 Corinthians 5:20.
                          In deviantArt: ll-bisto-ll.deviantart.com
                          Christian art and more: Christians.deviantart.com

Comment

Originally posted by Bisto View Post
                            I'm pretty sure most of the posters on this thread are older gentlemen and only a handful of us can still be described as "boys"

But yeah, this thread could use more female opinions.
                            Where is the bearer of the Rolling Pin(TM)?
                            Fine, male human! And I am a female human!

Comment

Originally posted by Bisto View Post
                              Soon to be 26 year old here. I'm definitely still a boy.

Comment

I'd like to take this opportunity to explain my vitriolic response to what appears to be a sane request on the part of those who embrace terms like 'Mansplaining'.
                                I've several objections to the term and the philosophy that is behind it.

1: While I embrace the notion of treating all people equitably, and in fact, recognize that it is a Christian's duty to treat others with love, the liberal approach to fulfilling this mandate is decidedly anti-Christ. The Christian mandate is to be applied to oneself and it is most certainly not to be forced onto other people. Liberalism pretends to be about love (help the poor, be fair and just, etc) but it is perversion of love in that it seeks to force others into righteous behavior through the law. This is the first failing of liberalism: The inability to distinguish the importance of internal change vs. external forced change.

2: As the father of two daughters I resent social engineering that leaves my daughters in a weakened condition. I don't want a competing physicist to view my daughter and think, "She's a skirt so I'd better listen to what she says or she'll run off to HR and I'll end up spending another 3 days in 'Mansplaining' training.", rather, I want him to think, "The last time I opposed her in a meeting she ripped off my head." I don't want her to be allowed to participate, I want her to earn it. This is another classic failing of liberalism: The inability to comprehend the importance of given vs. earned. (See the inner cities for a portrait of the learned helplessness of entire generations of minorities - now dependent upon the state)

3: Feminism based upon hatred of masculinity leaves no way to win.
                                If a guy explains too much he's 'mansplaining'.
                                If a guy explains too little he's being uncooperative.
                                It is impossible to placate a woman who wants to view all problems as a masculinity problem. We've a whole generation that has been taught to view problems through one of three possible templates: sexism, racism, homophobia. That is why so many liberals couldn't comprehend this most recent election. They keep trying to shoehorn problems into one of these three templates and the problem of "I don't have a job it moved to Mexico" cannot be explained rationally by any of those three templates. That is why liberals have looked absolutely foolish this election season - they lost the vocabulary to describe what is happening.
                                Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment