Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Mansplaining?Really?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
    If I were a guy I'd tell her I'm not interested in her life story or her resume and ask her to get to the stupid point.
    "Actually the churches during that period where built so that the harmonics of a choir wou-" She begins. "By the way on the matter of iconostasi of the byzantine churches, isn't the fact that..." Lloyd begins, oblivious to her.

If you cannot handle being called a name then get a job were you don't have to get aggressive.
    What is going on in our Universities where someone thinks they can be involved in making big decisions and not be called names?
    I don't think name calling is good but I think the expectation that it won't happen is ridiculous.
    So far I haven't talked about businesses. Unfortunately not that women had penetrated that deeply into my workspace. It's different in the open-source environment though, we're I've worked on teams with women and I've never considered their contributions to be poor.

Because you are a sexist and you seek to place blame based upon gender.
    I blame it on toxic masculinity. That's not blaming it on gender.

When my daughter complained about men in her physics classes not listening to her I told her to go bite their heads off.
    And that's fine.

Your sexist view of women that holds that they're incapable of winning in a conversation unless men allow for it.
    That's a strawman. I never said anything like that.

People get treated poorly for all sorts of reasons: ugly, attractive, too short, too tall, wrong school, etc. ... Maybe the woman is getting treated poorly for those reasons - but no, thanks to the sexists in our midst is must only ever be a gender problem.
    Conventional standards of beauty, local-patriotism, sexism are all bad reasons that I agree with the feminists are worth dismantling.

You keep setting up this imaginary scenario where some brilliant but shy genius isn't getting air time because they're too shy.
    It's not imaginary. I know these people.

It isn't a sexist thing unless you're a sexist who cannot help but attribute every injustice to gender.
    You're making that claim, not me.

Comment

Originally posted by elam View Post
      Magnetic North Pole vs True North = Geographic North Pole.
      http://gisgeography.com/magnetic-nor...hic-true-pole/
      Ah, ok, got it. Different definitions of "north." Could you get closer by skillful use of a good sextant?
      Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        But men tend to give condescending explanations to other men as well. Why is there no whinny term for that?
        Mmm... Because the "whinny" comes from the other end of the horse?
        Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
          Word games? Really?
          If a woman cannot have the illness of toxic masculinity then you have, in fact, narrowed it to gender.

You're making that claim, not me.
          No, you're a sexist.

Why isn't this topic handled under "how to be polite in a professional environment" or some other gender neutral way?
          Why is there a special word for when men act poorly in this way but not women?
          You'd agree that women can be overly aggressive and do a poor job of listening, not all, but some, so why not handle this in a gender neutral way?

Why are you overlaying the question of politeness with gender?
          Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
            Maybe I just run in different circles, but I can't think of any times I've seen "mansplaining," as described in this thread. I certainly don't do it, and neither does anybody I know, that I can think of.
            Likewise. I've only seen it on TV.

OTOH, I *have* (rarely) seen women who invite it. Whether because of some misguided notion of submissiveness or something, or for some other reason, they affect a rather childlike, naive demeanor around men.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Comment

That's a strawman. I never said anything like that.
              Yes, you did.
              If men have to make special concessions for women because they're women then you're implying women are less capable.

Either women are capable of holding their own in a conversation or they are not capable.
              Pick one.

If you say they're capable then no special concession is needed.
              If you say they're not capable then why on earth would I hire someone who is handicapped in this way?

BTW, I grow weary of you calling out logical flaws that don't actually exist in the text.
              Either look up 'strawman' and learn what it is or stop using it.
              Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                Essentially it is a demand that men act more like women and women getting upset when they don't.

As I said...

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

If a woman cannot have the illness of toxic masculinity then you have, in fact, narrowed it to gender.
                  Toxic masculinity is neither good for women, or men.

Why isn't this topic handled under "how to be polite in a professional environment" or some other gender neutral way?
                  Because its a problem that primarily affects women.
                  Last edited by Leonhard; 01-14-2017, 06:55 PM.

Comment

Yes, you did.
                    If men have to make special concessions for women because they're women then you're implying women are less capable.
                    No, I'm simple implying what I stated, that they already consider her less equipped, or out of bad habit, they simple don't pay attention for speaking cues the way they do with other guys.

Comment

Shouldn't people in general be polite and follow the rules of conversation(e.g. taking turns, not interrupting, being a good listener)?
                      If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Because its a problem that primarily affects women.
                        I don't grant this assumption.
                        I'd wager just as many men feel marginalized in the workplace as do women.

Comment

THERE IS WAY TOO MUCH TESTOSTERONE IN HERE! Hello? Isn't this thread ironic?

Comment

No, I'm simple implying what I stated, that they already consider her less equipped, or out of bad habit, they simple don't pay attention for speaking cues the way they do with other guys.
                            I don't grant that assertion either.
                            It assumes that women are giving appropriate speaking cues.

In fact, this contradicts already established points.
                            If men don't pay attention to speaking cues of women then how do some women manage to thrive in that environment?

Comment

I don't grant that assertion either.
                              It assumes that women are giving appropriate speaking cues.

In fact, this contradicts already established points.
                              If men don't pay attention to speaking cues of women then how do some women manage to thrive in that environment?
                              Maybe they are more tomboyish? They might have grown up with several brothers and learned their communication skills from them? Are you boys going to keep ignoring me?

Comment

I wonder if communication styles differ depending on the country? Denmark and the USA do share an innocent/guilt viewpoint, but they are still different countries. Even here in the states, there are regional differences in how people communicate.

Comment