Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Mansplaining?Really?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
    Umm... I've never heard this. Can you clarify?
    Magnetic North Pole vs True North = Geographic North Pole.
    http://gisgeography.com/magnetic-nor...hic-true-pole/

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
      I have to fight the urge to excessively nerdsplain things like Silver Age superheroes.
      I just learnt something new.
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_Age_of_Comic_Books

Stuart from the CBS says "Hi!"

Comment

When a guy condescendingly explains to a woman what her problems are, rather than listening to her, it's just as dumb as when Starlight explains to Christians what it's like to be a Christan and what our problems are.

Expect equal amounts of eyerolling in both cases.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
          When a guy condescendingly explains to a woman what her problems are, rather than listening to her, it's just as dumb as when Starlight explains to Christians what it's like to be a Christan and what our problems are.

Expect equal amounts of eyerolling in both cases.
          There's no need to coin a sexist term like mansplaining for behaviour that is common to both genders.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
            There's no need to coin a sexist term like mansplaining for behaviour that is common to both genders.
            There is when the problem is asymmetric. While women can be condescending, and I've certainly experienced my share of that, there's more going the other way.

I don't think we have be politically correct and pretend both sides have it equally tough.

Comment

There is when the problem is asymmetric. While women can be condescending, and I've certainly experienced my share of that, there's more going the other way.

I don't think we have be politically correct and pretend both sides have it equally tough.
              But men tend to give condescending explanations to other men as well. Why is there no whinny term for that?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                But men tend to give condescending explanations to other men as well. Why is there no whinny term for that?
                I think you're missing the point. Which is the same point missed by seer, elam, et. al. And that isn't the matter of condescending explanations. It's that women are complaining that they're not being listened to in social circles. Heck I've heard of a professor who was discussing a matter with someone, who proceeded to launch into a grand explanation for her. Not realizing she had studied the matter for nearly a decade, nor really letting her talk.

It's guys basically being the one to blah blah to a lady in front of them, expecting her to shut up and listen. And maybe, once he's done talking, she can opine a bit.

That's what I hear from my friends on it and they're pretty much tired of it.

I also don't dismiss their testimony as being without credibility.

That feminists are saying it is a good thing. Christians can have common ground with them on at least that.

Comment

Yeah, womenfeminists have it much easier. They can just shut down the discussion and silence you by accusing you of mansplaining. There's no retort you can use against it.

Not that I'd ever want to associate with anyone who would use the term "mansplaining" unironically.

Comment

I think you're missing the point. Which is the same point missed by seer, elam, et. al. And that isn't the matter of condescending explanations. It's that women are complaining that they're not being listened to in social circles. Heck I've heard of a professor who was discussing a matter with someone, who proceeded to launch into a grand explanation for her. Not realizing she had studied the matter for nearly a decade, nor really letting her talk.

It's guys basically being the one to blah blah to a lady in front of them, expecting her to shut up and listen. And maybe, once he's done talking, she can opine a bit.
                    Again, men tend to do that to other men as well. Why is there no whinny term for that?

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                      Yeah, womenfeminists have it much easier. They can just shut down the discussion and silence you by accusing you of mansplaining. There's no retort you can use against it.
                      I don't think I've ever seen a discussion, other than dumb, politically flamed once that had long stopped being discussions and turned into two protesters confronting eachother where something like that occured. I've only ever encountered it in discussions problems that women count for themselves.

In general the cure isn't that bad. Treat the woman in front of you as just as smart as yourself, give her a chance at talking before opening your own mouth. I don't see what's so difficult about it.

Not that I'd ever want to associate with anyone who would use the term "mansplaining" unironically.
                      I don't mind associating with people I disagree with. I'll speak cordially to you if you return the favor, that's about it.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        Again, men tend to do that to other men as well. Why is there no whinny term for that?
                        You're free to dismiss their experience, or claim that its perfectly egalitarian. I just don't buy it.

Comment

You're free to dismiss their experience, or claim that its perfectly egalitarian. I just don't buy it.
                          I'm not dismissing that it happens but merely pointing out the fact that men do the exact same thing to other men. That it is not something directed uniquely toward women. And yet there is no whinny term for it when men do it to other men.

Comment

That feminists are saying it is a good thing. Christians can have common ground with them on at least that.
                            Do you not understand the inherent sexism one must accept to adopt a term like 'mansplaining'?

Can a woman not interrupt a man and insist he stop explaining something she already understands?
                            Can a woman not get attention at a meeting and hold the floor?
                            Can a woman not lead a conversation without everyone else intentionally stepping aside?
                            What is different about a woman that she cannot compete in a conversation like a man?

So I'm supposed to sit in a meeting where a heated discussion about some topic of import is occurring and at some point hold up my hand and ask everyone to be quiet so we can give the wilting flower in the back of the room a moment to make her case heard?

All the women I know have no problem making their voices heard.
                            Maybe some of these people need to hang out with a better class of woman.
                            Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

I don't mind associating with people I disagree with. I'll speak cordially to you if you return the favor, that's about it.
                              Well, more power to you, I guess.

Comment

. . . snip . . .
                                Accusing someone of mansplaining is not cordial or polite. It is offensive language. Where is my safe space?
                                Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment