Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Concealed Carry Reciprocity Bill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concealed Carry Reciprocity Bill

https://hudson.house.gov/press-relea...iprocity-bill/

About time:

“Our Second Amendment right doesn’t disappear when we cross state lines, and this legislation guarantees that. The Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act of 2017 is a common sense solution to a problem too many Americans face. It will provide law-abiding citizens the right to conceal carry and travel freely between states without worrying about conflicting state codes or onerous civil suits. As a member of President-elect Trump’s Second Amendment Coalition, I look forward to working with my colleagues and the administration to get this legislation across the finish line.”
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Interesting - I wonder how this will resolve whatever differences exist between issuing states.

I guess that's addressed here... (OP's cite)

Rep. Hudson’s bill, which is supported by major pro-Second Amendment groups, would allow people with a state-issued concealed carry license or permit to conceal a handgun in any other state that allows concealed carry, as long as the permit holder follows the laws of that state. It also allows residents of Constitutional carry states the ability to carry in other states that recognize their own resident’s right to concealed carry.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Oh, man... While I really, really hope this goes through, I won't be holding my breath.

I live in New Jersey. While the state pays lip-service to permitting concealed carry, in practice, it's very rare for a person to receive such a permit (unless they are retired Law Enforcement). However, even as a non-resident, I could get a Florida concealed carry permit. If reciprocity is passed, I'll finally have a realistic means for concealed carry in my home state.

Again, I won't be holding my breath until it looks like this is more likely to pass, but this could be really good news for 2A supporters in NJ.
      "[Mathematics] is the revealer of every genuine truth, for it knows every hidden secret, and bears the key to every subtlety of letters; whoever, then, has the effrontery to pursue physics while neglecting mathematics should know from the start he will never make his entry through the portals of wisdom."
      --Thomas Bradwardine, De Continuo (c. 1325)

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
        https://hudson.house.gov/press-relea...iprocity-bill/

About time:

“Our Second Amendment right doesn’t disappear when we cross state lines, and this legislation guarantees that. The Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act of 2017 is a common sense solution to a problem too many Americans face. It will provide law-abiding citizens the right to conceal carry and travel freely between states without worrying about conflicting state codes or onerous civil suits. As a member of President-elect Trump’s Second Amendment Coalition, I look forward to working with my colleagues and the administration to get this legislation across the finish line.”
        Amen, about time!
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

So much for states' rights or the 10th Amendment when 'conservatives' control the federal government.
          βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
          ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
            So much for states' rights or the 10th Amendment when 'conservatives' control the federal government.
            That is a completely stupid statement. Should First Amendment rights be different from state to state? Should some states be able to restrict First Amendment rights?
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
              That is a completely stupid statement. Should First Amendment rights be different from state to state? Should some states be able to restrict First Amendment rights?
              Is there a strict constructionist reading of the Second Amendment regarding concealed carry? If I recall correctly, you do not believe that anyone convicted of a crime using a handgun should retain the right to bear arms--that too would contradict such a strict constructionist reading of the 2nd amendment.

You do not feel that the states have a right to govern themselves with respect to this matter?
              Last edited by robrecht; 01-14-2017, 02:24 PM.

Comment

The analogy in the "one pager" is pretty good, actually - that you don't lose your right to drive in Oklahoma, for example, simply because you are licensed to drive in Texas, and happen to cross the state line.

Would you prefer that your state-issued driver's license be honored only in the state in which you reside / it was issued?
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  The analogy in the "one pager" is pretty good, actually - that you don't lose your right to drive in Oklahoma, for example, simply because you are licensed to drive in Texas, and happen to cross the state line.

Would you prefer that your state-issued driver's license be honored only in the state in which you reside / it was issued?
                  No, but I would prefer consistency on the part of those who argue for strict constructionist interpretations and states' rights.

Comment

Is there a strict constructionist reading of the Second Amendment regarding concealed carry? If I recall correctly, you do not believe that anyone convicted of a crime using a handgun should retains the right to bear arms--that too would contradict such a strict constructionist reading of the 2nd amendment.

You do not feel that the states have a right to govern themselves with respect to this matter?
                    The state that issued the carry license, upon notification that the licensee has committed a crime worthy of revocation of the license, would obviously revoke the license, and the reciprocity would be moot - there wouldn't be any.

Comment

No, but I would prefer consistency on the part of those who argue for strict constructionist interpretations and states' rights.
                      This bill appears to seek that consistency with regards to drivers' licenses.

Comment

The state that issued the carry license, upon notification that the licensee has committed a crime worthy of revocation of the license, would obviously revoke the license, and the reciprocity would be moot - there wouldn't be any.
                        So you would allow for states to issue carry licences? Why? If it is an all-pervasive federal right guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment to the US Constitution, why would the states have any right or role whatsoever in the issuance of any licensees?

Comment

This bill appears to seek that consistency with regards to drivers' licenses.
                          There is no provision in the US Consitution or Bill of Rights with respect to driving automobiles so your analogy is flawed.

Comment

So you would allow for states to issue carry licences? Why?
                            Same reason they issue drivers' licenses.

If it is an all-pervasive federal right guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment to the US Constitution, why would the states have any right or role whatsoever in the issuance of any licensees?
                            You may be hitting here on the difference between a privilege and a right, perhaps?

Comment

There is no provision in the US Consitution or Bill of Rights with respect to driving automobiles so your analogy is flawed.
                              Allowing that driving is a privilege and carrying a handgun for self defense is a right, you may have a valid point.

Comment