Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Concealed Carry Reciprocity Bill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Same reason they issue drivers' licenses.
    Again, there is no provision in the US Consitution or Bill of Rights with respect to driving automobiles so your analogy is flawed.

You may be hitting here on the difference between a privilege and a right, perhaps?
    More than that, I am speaking of states' rights and the 10 Amendment.
    βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
    ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Allowing that driving is a privilege and carrying a handgun for self defense is a right, you may have a valid point.
      Of course I have a valid point. Why would you doubt that in the first place? Because you think I am a dishonest fraud?

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
        More than that, I am speaking of states' rights and the 10 Amendment.
        For clarification, let's look at the actual text of the 10th amendment....

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

How does that deal with the fact that states issue gun licenses? The right to keep and bear arms is "to the people". The second amendment doesn't "give" the right to the people - it prevents the federal government from infringing upon it.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Of course I have a valid point. Why would you doubt that in the first place? Because you think I am a dishonest fraud?
          Wow... I was taking another run at having a polite conversation with you.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Is there a particular reason for concealed carry?

I'm an ignorant dane about this stuff as most weapons are illegal for citizens to use outside of a law enforcement or military role.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
              Is there a particular reason for concealed carry?
              Other than the fact that, in most US jurisdictions, it is otherwise illegal?

Comment

Other than the fact that, in most US jurisdictions, it is otherwise illegal?
                Oh so its just removing a law, that you can't hide a gun on you etc..?

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                  Oh so its just removing a law, that you can't hide a gun on you etc..?
                  No, not "removing a law", but rather making an exception to it.

Comment

For clarification, let's look at the actual text of the 10th amendment....

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

How does that deal with the fact that states issue gun licenses? The right to keep and bear arms is "to the people". The second amendment doesn't "give" the right to the people - it prevents the federal government from infringing upon it.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
                    So is it your position that the 2nd Amendment does not allow the states to have any role whatsoever in the regulation of the right to bear arms? That, again, is the point of my question. Look again at the 2nd Amendment, it does not merely speak of the rights of the people, but also justifies it with respect to a well regulated Militia being necessary to the security of a free State.

Comment

So is it your position....
                      It is my position that I made a tactical error in trying to have a civil discussion with you. Please address your discourse to somebody who wants to respond.

Thanks

Comment

Wow... I was taking another run at having a polite conversation with you.
                        I hope you will succeed. But perhaps not by merely hoping that I will forget your past insults.

Comment

I hope you will succeed. But perhaps not by merely hoping that I will forget your past insults.
                          Please take this to the psycho ward.

Comment

Please take this to the psycho ward.
                            I have no authority or desire to move threads.

Comment

I have no authority or desire to move threads.
                              If you want to rehash old battles, you could start a thread about it, Rob.... I have no desire to do that all over again. I believed you were insincere in actually wanting civil dialogue, and it appears you're at it again. I'm not playing.

Comment

No, not "removing a law", but rather making an exception to it.

Comment