Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Inaguration crowd size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    Example please...

Like what?
    I think you missed it Bill.

Please list some examples of pathology.
    So, I'm not a psychologist. I am not trying to make any sort of official case for pathology in the clinical sense. I'm using the word in the non-clinical sense => He just can't seem to control himself.

Nevertheless, he does meet the requirements at least as defined in wikipedia ...

Source: wikipedia

Pathological lying
    Synonyms pseudologia fantastica, mythomania,
    Classification and external resources
    Specialty Psychiatry
    [edit on Wikidata]
    Pathological lying (also called pseudologia fantastica and mythomania) is a behavior of habitual or compulsive lying.[1][2] It was first described in the medical literature in 1891 by Anton Delbrueck.[2] Although it is a controversial topic,[2] pathological lying has been defined as "falsification entirely disproportionate to any discernible end in view, may be extensive and very complicated, and may manifest over a period of years or even a lifetime".[1]

Characteristics
    Defining characteristics of pathological lying include

A definitely internal, not an external, motive for the behavior can be discerned clinically: e.g., long-lasting extortion or habitual spousal battery might cause a person to lie repeatedly, without the lying being a pathological symptom.[2]
    The stories told tend toward presenting the liar favorably. The liar "decorates their own person"[3] by telling stories that present them as the hero or the victim. For example, the person might be presented as being fantastically brave, as knowing or being related to many famous people, or as having great power, position, or wealth.

© Copyright Original Source

Sound like anyone you know? (with the obvious exception that he does in fact know many famous people etc - that part clearly does not apply - excepting the fact he does appear to 'make up' people that support something he would like people to be saying)

The man lies about everything, even when he doesn't need to lie. It's absurd, embarrassing (for the country), sad.

Do you not remember when he said it wasn't him on the Access Hollywood tape? Do you not remember when he said he didn't know about the Stormy Daniels payment before when we were all listening to the tape of him talking about it with his lawyer before he made the payment.

Of course - it could be he's not pathological and his lying is far more sinister than that. That is, he is trying to create an environment where he can say anything he wants anytime he wants and no-one will care. But I was going for the less evil conclusion - he's just mentally ill.

Here is list compiled in an opinion piece and the NYT of the lies and falsehoods Trump had told to the point of writing.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...umps-lies.html

Because all you have done is made sweeping generalizations and emotional pleas. What in particular are you most troubled about? What specific "lies" make you believe he is pathological and in need of a shrink any more than you or me?
    I already answered all that above. Do you lie that much? Maybe you do and that is why it seems normal to you. That I suppose is one possible explanation.

Nah. You are oversimplifying something for the sole purpose of shoehorning it elsewhere.
    And you would be wrong. Were you not one of the ones complaining about me 'judging' people ... ooops.

Jim
    Last edited by oxmixmudd; 09-11-2018, 05:37 PM.
    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmuddle View Post
      Project much?
      Good example of irony.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
        I cannot stand Trump, but you're level of histrionics, alongside others is seriously making me reconsider my position.
        That is sad. Do you really think the points I've made are 'histrionics'? That the president of the United States would lie nearly each and every day about something? That he once tried to claim it wasn't his voice on the Access Hollywood tape? That he kept trying to deny prior knowledge of the Stormy Daniels tape when we had a tape with him discussing how the payment should be made? That he in this case simply would not believe the truth about the audience size of his inauguration relative to Obama's, to the point that his staff and those around him would believe they needed to create cropped pictures so he would think the crowd was bigger than it was?

These are all just 'nothing'?

Jim
        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          Translation: "It's everybody else's fault!"

Your lack of introspection and self-awareness is noted.
          You need some help with translations. You're not even close...
          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            \
            trying to claim any answer to your accusations is "whataboutism" is an even weaker debate strategy.

Maybe you should start numbering arguments again, that worked so well.
            Since I haven't...

Whataboutism is a very specific phenomenon: attempting to derail a discussion about person X by pointing out that person Y did it too. It's a debate strategy, nothing more. And anyone who has ever been in a debate club knows that debates are not about truth - they're just about perception and making the opposition look as bad as possible.

So I doubt that anyone is going to abandon this tactic. After all...it often works!
            The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
              I love it. Put the blame fully on the poor island nation for it's failure to recover quickly from a CAT 5 hurricane with 175 mile per hour winds!

The fact is Puerto Rico, while not a state, is one of our own. We did not do what needed to be done there.

And there is a good deal of the blame for that which sits squarely on Trump's shoulders.

Jim
              How long was it known that Puerto Rico’s power grid was in a sorry state and would totally fail when the next major Hurricane hit? What steps did Obama take to repair this 20 year old problem? What steps did Puerto Rico’s government take to repair this decades old problem? You know what I like, people so filled with hate they don’t think before they make stupid arguments. The reality is the power grid was a failure that had the buck passed around until it fell on someone you hated. Reality is Obama nor Clinton would have done better because the power grid had pretty much failed in a speculator fashion. Like the Titanic disaster kind of failure. Have you rebuilt a power grid from scratch? Please let the linemen that worked on doing so how they could have done it faster. I’m sure they would love your expert opinion on building and engineering a power grid.
              "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                Considering there's only been 43 men to sit in the office, and I'd wager you don't know much about more than a handful of their personal lives, your claim that Trump is one of the most immoral to sit in the office is pretty laughable.
                Considering the stuff written in LBJ’s reciently published biographies that show what a terrible person he was, such a claim is well... made by someone with zero historical understanding.
                "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  That is what I mean by doubling down. After you just finished admitting and realizing that I don't think the crowd was any smaller than Obamas you ask me again about "Trump's unwillingness to face the truth"
                  This is hard to fathom Sparko. Please take a look at the pictures in this link, which discuss the time frames of the photos. Especially that there are pictures from both 11:30 and 12:00. The pictures show Trump on the monitors. There is no comparison between the Obama crowd and the Trump crowd. How can you say "I don't think the crowd was any smaller than Obama's"?

https://www.pri.org/stories/2017-01-...uration-obamas

And I still don't get what the crowd size has to do with Puerto Rico, where CONGRESS and FEMA would have more to do with things than Trump. And as Rogue pointed out, PR's mess was mostly due to poor planning on their own parts and graft regarding their grid.
                  Trump is lying about the response, the effectiveness of the response. Here is it again tonight. Trump praising his response when 3000 died. Do you not remember how much was made of how bad the Katrina response when 'only' 1800 died, yet here Trump PRAISES the response without any sense of responsibility. And indeed, issues of mental health are again being raised. And again issues of his incapacity to be truthful.

Maybe you can outline with sources what you think Trump did wrong in PR instead of just asserting it?
                  Tell you what Sparko. You look over those photos in the article I linked to above. Tell me if you still think Trump's inauguration crowd was 'almost as big' as Obama's. I just need to know if reality can break through in this simple case before I spend any more time on this.

Jim
                  Last edited by oxmixmudd; 09-11-2018, 06:41 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                    Perhaps you might consider using it, Jim. You've been arguing wholly from emotion regarding Trump, and it's not pretty.
                    Not true. Most of my arguments about Trump are fact based. Where the emotion comes into play is the exasperation which comes from dealing with the illogical responses and evasions I keep getting from the peanut gallery here. But I'm working on that element of it. I just need to lower my expectations.

Jim

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmuddle View Post
                      Here is list compiled in an opinion piece and the NYT of the lies and falsehoods Trump had told to the point of writing.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...umps-lies.html
                      And you actually fall for this nonsense?

I've seen those lists making the rounds pretty much since the left got spooked by the idea that Trump could actually end up beating Hillary, and they're a joke. They don't distinguish between genuine lies, and honest mistakes, approximations, exaggeration, jokes, hyperbole, differences of opinion, and so on. The fact that you uncritically swallow this anti-Trump drivel tells us quite a lot about your mindset.

Comment

And you actually fall for this nonsense?

I've seen those lists making the rounds pretty much since the left got spooked by the idea that Trump could actually end up beating Hillary, and they're a joke. They don't distinguish between genuine lies, and honest mistakes, approximations, exaggeration, jokes, hyperbole, differences of opinion, and so on. The fact that you uncritically swallow this anti-Trump drivel tells us quite a lot about your mindset.
                        "Fall for this". I have ears. I've been watching the news the last 2 years. I REMEMBER a good many of them and the circumstances around them.

Where have you been?

As for the link - they call them lies and falsehoods. Not just lies. Could the falsehoods be honest mistakes? I suppose so. Does that help that the commander in chief would have such a low grasp of the facts?

Jim
                        Last edited by oxmixmudd; 09-11-2018, 07:16 PM.

Comment

This is hard to fathom Sparko. Please take a look at the pictures in this link, which discuss the time frames of the photos. Especially that there are pictures from both 11:30 and 12:00. The pictures show Trump on the monitors. There is no comparison between the Obama crowd and the Trump crowd. How can you say "I don't think the crowd was any smaller than Obama's"?

https://www.pri.org/stories/2017-01-...uration-obamas
                          Another story using the deceptive image taken at least an hour before the ceremony.

Again, what they're showing doesn't square with CNN's Gigapixel image:

01.jpg

02.jpg

Comment

Another story using the deceptive image taken at least an hour before the ceremony.

Again, what they're showing doesn't square with CNN's Gigapixel image:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30924[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30925[/ATTACH]

Source: Wikipedia perspective distortion

Compression, long-lens, or telephoto distortion can be seen in images shot from a distance using a long focus lens or the more common telephoto sub-type (with an angle of view narrower than a normal lens). Distant objects look approximately the same size – closer objects are abnormally small, and more distant objects are abnormally large, and hence the viewer cannot discern relative distances between distant objects – distances are compressed.

© Copyright Original Source

The two photos show approximately the same thing, to a person that understands what happens when you use a telephoto lens and a little trigonometry. The exact same thing happens when you enlarge the deep field area of a normal photograph (see also "inverse square law")

Jim

Comment

• Yeah, we've been over that before, kiddo. Compression from a long lens doesn't magically turn an empty space into a full one. Despite the different perspectives, you can clearly see that the crowd was much more dense during the ceremony than it was an hour before when the infamous overhead shot was taken, despite your source blatantly lying and claiming that it was taken at 12:01PM. Sorry, but it's the exact same picture that was posted to Twitter nearly an hour before.

Comment

Not true. Most of my arguments about Trump are fact based.
                                At best, partially true; they are heavily colored by your interpretation of the same, which interpretation appears to be governed far more by emotion than reason.
                                Where the emotion comes into play is the exasperation which comes from dealing with the illogical responses and evasions I keep getting from the peanut gallery here.
                                You are deluding yourself. You've been heavily emoting regarding Trump from the get-go, before you got any responses. Such responses are viewed through the lens of your emotions, which is why they seem illogical.
                                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                                sigpic
                                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment