Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Inaguration crowd size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    Yeah the whole "controversy" seems petty.
    That was pretty much the point. Trump was so obsessed about crowd size, and the entire thing was petty. I mean really...the president calls the parks people to ream them out about crowd-size statements? Really?

Trump always has to be the biggest, baddest, best, at everything. He had the greatest landslide in history (despite ranking 46th out of 56 elections), he had the biggest crowds (despite demonstrably not), he is presiding over the first time GDP is higher than unemployment in 100 years (despite 64 quarters in that 100 years when it did exactly that). The list of his boast, brags, and outright fabrications just goes on and on and on....

...and most on the right nod, and smile, and defend...

..it's amazing... actually... and a little sad.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
      That was pretty much the point. Trump was so obsessed about crowd size, and the entire thing was petty. I mean really...the president calls the parks people to ream them out about crowd-size statements? Really?

Trump always has to be the biggest, baddest, best, at everything. He had the greatest landslide in history (despite ranking 46th out of 56 elections), he had the biggest crowds (despite demonstrably not), he is presiding over the first time GDP is higher than unemployment in 100 years (despite 64 quarters in that 100 years when it did exactly that). The list of his boast, brags, and outright fabrications just goes on and on and on....

Not me! And I really wonder about your "most on the right".
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Not me! And I really wonder about your "most on the right".
        I have not seen heard a single person I know, in any venue, who leans right, do anything but defend Trump when he makes these outrageously false statements. Not one. Here on TWeb, the norm is "defend, explain, or dismiss." Or I get whataboutisms.

It's actually fairly predictable. And it's amazing.
        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

I have not seen heard a single person I know, in any venue, who leans right, do anything but defend Trump when he makes these outrageously false statements. Not one. Here on TWeb, the norm is "defend, explain, or dismiss." Or I get whataboutisms.

You need to widen your circle of acquaintances beyond just that one crazy uncle.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            You need to widen your circle of acquaintances beyond just that one crazy uncle.
            It's actually pretty wide - and I intentionally made it wider after Trump was elected (hence my presence here). I don't know if conservatives talk differently among themselves, but when a moderate or liberal is in the room...crickets (or defense/denial/justification/whataboutism).

Comment

I really, really wish Trump would be less cavalier with his statements. On the other hand, I find it amusing how zealous y'all suddenly are to ferret out possible mis-statements from POTUS. Would that the former occupant had gotten 1/10th the scrutiny.
              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                I really, really wish Trump would be less cavalier with his statements. On the other hand, I find it amusing how zealous y'all suddenly are to ferret out possible mis-statements from POTUS. Would that the former occupant had gotten 1/10th the scrutiny.
                whataboutism

Comment

I mean, I can either get upset about every dumb thing Trump says, which sounds like it would be really bad for my health considering the frequency with which he says such things, or I can just shrug and say "yep, that was kind of dumb" and move on.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    it's a 360-degree megapixel photo with no cropping. You can see all the way back and up into the sky if you want. Did you even look?
                    Yes I looked. The gaps towards the Washington monument are there. How big they would look from on top of the monument I've not tried to figure out.

The only way to correctly evaluate this is to look at time tagged photos from both events and multiple perspectives covering the entire day.

Jim
                    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
                      I mean, I can either get upset about every dumb thing Trump says, which sounds like it would be really bad for my health considering the frequency with which he says such things, or I can just shrug and say "yep, that was kind of dumb" and move on.
                      And take him seriously but not literally?

Comment

It is amazing. Most of the same people hearing anyone else say these sorts of things would be asking anyone defending the statements what drugs they were on. But if Trump says it, they somehow feel they must defend him. I know superficially its because if they don't they feel an ideology they are opposed to will win. But what I can't figure out is how it can be ok to accept the sort of dictator wanna-be that is Trump over 'the opposition'. I mean I understand what they are opposed to, I find much of it hard to stomach myself. I just can't figure out how who and what Trump is can be valued as 'better'.

Jim
                        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

It's probably because nobody has seen a single person on any venue, who leans left, do anything but go apoplectic with rage trying to turn the tiniest of molehills into Mount Everest-sized controversies. What you're getting as a result can be expressed by Brum recently
                          Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

At this point I'm beginning to change my mind about Trump due to the insane reactions he's getting which are very often over nothing, or outright lies about him.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                            Not a lie at all. The combined audience was the largest in history.
                            It was a lie. "It was the first self-inflicted crisis of Trump’s presidency, when his White House falsely claimed he had attracted the biggest ever inauguration audience".

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-photos-edited

What else would you expect from a notorious compulsive liar like Trump?

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                            Trump's statement was obviously referring to the combined audience.
                            He wasn't. He was specifically referring to the "YUGE" crowd in front of him at the National Mall as he stood on the podium.
                            Last edited by Tassman; 09-11-2018, 02:34 AM.
                            “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                              It was a lie. "It was the first self-inflicted crisis of Trump’s presidency, when his White House falsely claimed he had attracted the biggest ever inauguration audience".
                              The fact that anyone would characterize this as some sort of "crisis" says it all. The whole "go[ing] apoplectic with rage trying to turn the tiniest of molehills into Mount Everest-sized controversies."

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                                We don't have to "ferret them out" OBP. We just have to wait for him to open his mouth or tweet. There's a lie in most of them.

I was also sensitive to any misleading statements or outright lies by 44 (e.g., you can keep your plan/doctor). There simply were FAR fewer of them.

Comment