Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

U.S. in 'beginning stages' of talks on Jerusalem embassy move

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Starlight View Post
    Did Obama's 38 billion dollars not do the job?
    The dagger he firmly shoved in their back at the U.N. in his waning days sort of over rode that.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
      While I occasionally criticize the over zealous actions of Israel, and some of its actions, I still think we should be their allies. However, even in the light of that, I fail to see why this move is good enough to warrant it. It would only mean support of a nation already allied with the US and the west, at the cost of further inflammation of the other relations.

It looks cool, but I don't think it is wise.
      The article specifically talks about "beginning stages". Perhaps this is just to put the Iranians on notice that they can provoke such action. It could simply be a bargaining chip. I don't know.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        This could prove to be very interesting.
        Or very dangerous...
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Surely the location of the US Embassy in Israel is a matter for America and Israel to decide? It's really no one else's business where it is.

Yes, I know the Arabs will get all upset, but why should we run around appeasing militant Islam? They don't ever respond positively to appeasement, do they, so perhaps it's time to adopt more firm tactics.
          ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
            While I occasionally criticize the over zealous actions of Israel, and some of its actions, I still think we should be their allies. However, even in the light of that, I fail to see why this move is good enough to warrant it. It would only mean support of a nation already allied with the US and the west, at the cost of further inflammation of the other relations.

It looks cool, but I don't think it is wise.
            Agreed! It's not wise. It would be the death knell of the Two State Solution, which in turn would alienate Muslims in the Middle East and around the world even further than they're already alienated, which is not good. Nor is it necessary.
            “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
              Agreed! It's not wise. It would be the death knell of the Two State Solution, which in turn would alienate Muslims in the Middle East and around the world even further than they're already alienated, which is not good. Nor is it necessary.
              The two state solution was dead long before talks of moving the embassy started.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
                Surely the location of the US Embassy in Israel is a matter for America and Israel to decide? It's really no one else's business where it is.
                It shouldn't be, but 'Jerusalem as the capital of Israel' is a highly inflammatory point with the Arabs, who also claim Jerusalem as their capital.

Yes, I know the Arabs will get all upset, but why should we run around appeasing militant Islam? They don't ever respond positively to appeasement, do they, so perhaps it's time to adopt more firm tactics.
                I don't think we should appease them, but I don't think we should purposely provoke them without a clear purpose. And putting our Embassy in Jerusalem could drastically increase our security risks, and the lives of the diplomats who will serve there.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

And when that is done maybe we should put an embassy in the capital city of the Republic of China.
                  When I Survey....

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                      The two state solution never was a viable option.
                      Fixed that for you.
                      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                        Fixed that for you.
                        I am technically right, and that's the best kind of right.

Comment

I am technically right, and that's the best kind of right.
                          You're not married, are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                            You're not married, are you?

How did you know?

Comment

How did you know?

Comment

The two state solution was dead long before talks of moving the embassy started.
                                You may well be right but it's been the official policy as set out in UN resolutions going back over 40 years and any bilateral action by the US and Israel will open a can of worms.
                                “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment