Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Childrens guide to radiation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Childrens guide to radiation

Many years ago, I made a children's guide to radiation for a school assignment. I used animal pictures to represent the parts of an atom and different types of atoms. So, how accurate is my middle school(or high school, I don't know when I did it) version of radiation?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Christianbookworm; 01-22-2017, 04:49 PM.
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

The dog explaining half lives was very accurate, even if his example was not so realistic.

The problem is, how many goats were there to start with?
    http://notontimsblogroundhere.blogspot.fr/p/apologetics-section.html

Thanks, Sparko, for telling how I add the link here!

Comment

Chain reaction seems to be less accurate.

U falls into two atoms of x (Pb?) + a neutron. The chain part is not each atom of x falling into two atoms of even light y, but the neutron attacking the next U to make it fall apart into two x + a neutron.

By the way, thank you for saying that neutrons go through six inches of lead before being stopped by it. That kills off one theory of what could be wrong about Uranium or Thorium related dating* (leaving, obviously, the possibility of chain reactions hastening normal half life or of Pb being there which never was U or Th).

* My theory being that Geiger tickers measure too few decay events since U like lead would stopp radioactivity from getting out. OK, if six inches thick, perhaps ...

Comment

"It can be used to see how old something is" is of course a debated position.

U-Pb dating : how much Pb was never U?
        Ka-Ar : how much Ar was never Ka?
        C14 : what was the level of C14 when starting the decay in organic thing x? For last c. 2000 years or 2500 years, no big problem, since reliable checks are there in history.

What do you do when sth has 2% of what a normal recent item has of C14? 2% = 32,300 years, but how much in actual decay and how much in lower original content?

I go with a Flood c. 5000 years ago (54.616% left since then) having occurred in an atmosphere which had for some reason just reached 3.9% of present level of C14. And with a rapid rise after Flood, evening out.

Comment

This is a thread to discuss an old school assignment. I didn't think I needed to mention that this wasn't a discussion on radiodating. Please leave.

Comment

Sorry hans, you can post as long as you stay on topic and don't mention radiodating.

Comment

Thanks.

I think all I did not specifically mention was correct, but that is as far as I can judge.

Comment

It is supposed to be a general guideline for children.

Comment

Expect the question "how do you know how many goats there were to begin with".

But when it comes to "for children", I'd say skip the animal picture language, do a straight on thing with the original terms of the disciplines, obviously explaining each, perhaps with occasional picture language, but not an allegory of animals running along it all of the way.

At least that is what worked for me.

Comment

It's creative and factually accurate (as far as I can tell), but I found radiation easier to learn by going straight to learning about the atoms and molecules themselves, and I don't think the animals make it any easier to learn.
                    Find my speling strange? I'm trying this out: Simplified Speling. Feel free to join me.

"Nature has placed mankind under the governance of two sovereign masters, pain and pleasure. It is for them alone to point out what we ought to do, as well as to determine what we shall do."-Jeremy Bentham

"We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question."-Orson Scott Card

Comment

Originally posted by stfoskey15 View Post
                      It's creative and factually accurate (as far as I can tell), but I found radiation easier to learn by going straight to learning about the atoms and molecules themselves, and I don't think the animals make it any easier to learn.
                      I know. I just wanted it to be more creative than just having boring atoms and molecules. I really don't know what younger me was thinking other than it was supposed to be creative.

Comment