Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

A question for atheists . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 37818 View Post
    Why are there more counterfites claiming to be Christianity than any other faith system? If you were to explain the gospel, what could you explain?
    The Apostle Paul claims the reason people are lost is the lack of the gospel. It is being hidden. see reference 2 Corinthians 4:3-4.
    So I am asking you, if you were to explain the gospel, what could you explain?

How does anyone know anything? How do you know anything? How does one know someone else? Again, the Apostle Paul wrote about everyone having knowledge of God. see reference Romans 1:18-22. Ironically an atheist unwittingly wrote a book explaining one aspect of this.
    How do you know any of that? Concepts and ideas do
    exist
    The question is how do you know, you are the one who claims to know God, so explain how it is that you know God rather than asking questions of me. If your answer is the Bible, then you don't know, you believe.

Comment

Why are there more counterfites claiming to be Christianity than any other faith system?
      I don't know that there are. Where are the data on which you base that claim?

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
        You're the one who claimed to know that god exists, that you're god exists. . . .
        I am not just one. I am one of many. Are you just one agnostic? A mere denial of a view does not refute it. Merely dismissing arguments does not refute them. Do I need to repeat the arguments I have given? I guess I do.

Argument 1. There is an uncaused existence. I personally identify God to be that uncaused existence.

Argument 2. The universe is evidence. All evidence is finite and temporal. All finite and temporal things are caused. An infinite regress of cause and effect has no first cause. Such a regess requires cause for not having a first cause. It still needs an uncaused cause. All causes are finite and temporal. But the cause of an infinite regress would also be infinite having no beginning, being uncaused. being uncaused requires an uncaused existence. An uncaused cause is both eternal and temporal, both infinite and finite.

Argument 3. The Hebrews worshiped their God whom they called the [self] Existent one. Which identifies the God I believe in with the God of the Hebrews.

Argument 4. God has made Himself knowable. One such claim is found in John 7:17. Who has refuted it?

Belief in biblical proclamations is not knowledge of the truth of those proclamations, so your knowledge of gods existence doesn't come from the bible. So I guess the question is, what actual knowledge do you have, and how did you come by it?
        Again, see the above.
        And no one is refusing to understand it, what we are asking you, is to tell us what it is. What is it that you say god provides to the converted in the way of evidence, or knowledge, of his existence?
        Again, see the above.
        . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

I am not just one. I am one of many.
          The fact that many people make similar claims does not imply that the claim is therefore correct.

Argument 1. There is an uncaused existence. I personally identify God to be that uncaused existence.
          This is not an argument. This is a bald assertion.

Argument 2. The universe is evidence. All evidence is finite and temporal. All finite and temporal things are caused. An infinite regress of cause and effect has no first cause. Such a regess requires cause for not having a first cause. It still needs an uncaused cause. All causes are finite and temporal. But the cause of an infinite regress would also be infinite having no beginning, being uncaused. being uncaused requires an uncaused existence. An uncaused cause is both eternal and temporal, both infinite and finite.
          This is an argument, but it's an invalid one built upon non sequitur and concluding incoherently.

Argument 3. The Hebrews worshiped their God whom they called the [self] Existent one. Which identifies the God I believe in with the God of the Hebrews.

Argument 4. God has made Himself knowable. One such claim is found in John 7:17. Who has refuted it?
          "[Mathematics] is the revealer of every genuine truth, for it knows every hidden secret, and bears the key to every subtlety of letters; whoever, then, has the effrontery to pursue physics while neglecting mathematics should know from the start he will never make his entry through the portals of wisdom."
          --Thomas Bradwardine, De Continuo (c. 1325)

Comment

I am not just one. I am one of many. Are you just one agnostic? A mere denial of a view does not refute it. Merely dismissing arguments does not refute them. Do I need to repeat the arguments I have given? I guess I do.
            No, you don't. You need to address the criticisms of those arguments.

For example:
            Argument 5: Winnie-the-Pooh has made Himself knowable. One such claim is found in The House at Pooh Corner. Who has refuted it?
            Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
            MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
              Evidence.

Not assertions.
              Not bait-and-switch.
              Not logical fallacies.

Evidence.
              If you disallow assertions. No evidence of any kind can be affirmed. < and that is also an assertion.

The thing you keep claiming to have, but then back down whenever you are asked to provide it.Those things are in evidence, but they are not evidence for the Christian god.I'm not refusing to understand it, you are refusing to provide anything that I could understand.
              Are you unable to understand the following claim ascribed to Jesus: ". . . If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, . . ?" See John 7:17. Who has ever refuted it? Here is an opportunity.

You said you had evidence available to anyone. But when pushed, you admit your 'evidence' is only available to those who already believe.
              No, not only to those who believe, but also to those willing to believe. Now the question becomes to believe specifically what? God sent His Son to die as the substitute for everyone so they can obtain complete forgiveness (Jeremiah 31:31-34; Isaiah 53:6,10-12). John 3:16-21. And also the claim Christ's bodily resurrection that this was done (Romans 1:4; Romans 4:25). Note what is from the OT.

Reality is what doesn't go away when you stop believing in it. . . .
              Agreed.
              If the evidence for your god is only available if you already believe in it, then your god is not real.
              No. The evidence for God and personally knowing God are two distinct things. And both evidences are avialable to everyone.
              . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Do you actually believe intelligence comes from non-intelligence?
                We don't know how or why intelligence happened. Best guess is that it was an ordinary process of evolution.

Comment

Again, see the above.
                  Again, see the above.
                  No, your assertion was that you know God, not that you have evidence or arguments that you believe is proof of a Gods existence, but that you have personal knowledge of God, that it is the Christian god. So my question to you was how do you know that this particular god of yours exists. If your argument is simply that something is eternal and some other things are temporal then we can debate that concept as well, but again the question is how do you know the eternal is distinct in substance from the temporal and that that distinct substance is known by you on a personal level.

Comment

• Originally posted by Doug Shaver
                    Yes, that is your claim. Why should I believe it?
                    Originally posted by 37818 View Post
                    How do you recognize what you accept as to be true?
                    I recognize it as true when I become aware of sufficient evidence to believe it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aractus View Post
                      We don't know how or why intelligence happened. Best guess is that it was an ordinary process of evolution.
                      ...yes, and that it had survival advantage.
                      “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                        That the Bible presumes, doesn't make the presumption true, . . .
                        A mere presumption of truth does not make anything true.
                        . . . and beyond that, believing it to be true is not knowing it to be true. . . .
                        The act of believing does not make a thing true.

. . . Your claim was that you KNOW, and the question is how do you KNOW, not why do you believe.
                        Unless what is true is believed, it is not yet one's knowlede. The question becomes how does one know anything is true?

As an agnostic you have a real problem recognizing what is true. Only what is recognized as being true should be believed. Only when something true is believed can it be said to be one's knowledge.

Comment

That is distinct problem with the assertions of your argument.

Unless what is true is believed, it is not yet one's knowledge. The question becomes how does one know anything is true?
                          Good question! You have yet to support your claim of what you know beyond your claim that what you know is true.

As an agnostic you have a real problem recognizing what is true. Only what is recognized as being true should be believed. Only when something true is believed can it be said to be one's knowledge.
                          This is a problem, because too many people claim to believe what is true with too many conflicting different 'truths.'
                          Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                          Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                          But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post

This is a problem, because too many people claim to believe what is true with too many conflicting different 'truths.'
                            Yes, and there can be no way to resolve conflicts about conflicting different 'truths' when members of competing religious traditions hold absolute beliefs which are mutually exclusive.
                            “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aractus View Post
                              Science in the gaps ... that makes us all feel better.
                              The last Christian left at tweb

Comment

Unless what is true is believed, it is not yet one's knowlede. The question becomes how does one know anything is true?

You're avoiding the question regarding your assertion of knowing God, knowing the christian god. The question is how do you know this God, not why do you believe a god exists?

Comment