Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The first images from the new weather satellite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The first images from the new weather satellite

The first images from the new weather satellite

This looks like it could be pretty cool stuff. I'm particularly impressed by the ability to see and report lightning strikes so quickly...
    The other weather instrument, the Global Lightning Mapper, will continuously track and transmit all lightning strikes across North America and its surrounding oceans. Developed by Lockheed, it can detect the changes in light on Earth and thus the rate and intensity of lightning in thunderstorms and hurricanes.

The satellite formerly known as GOES-R (so Prince, right?) has transmitted its first images back to Earth, and they are flooring. From the details on the face of the moon to the incredible resolution of cumulus over the Caribbean, these first pixels portend a sunny future for NOAA’s new GOES-16 satellite.

Meteorologists are drooling. This release coincides with the first day of the American Meteorological Society’s annual meeting. There are thousands of weather geeks in Seattle this week, and — at least on Monday — they’re all looking at this next-gen satellite imagery.

As we’ve written before, GOES-R satellite has six instruments, two of which are weather-related. The Advanced Baseline Imager, developed by Harris Corp., is the “camera” that looks down on Earth. The pictures it sends back will be clearer and more detailed than what’s created by the current satellites.

The ABI can scan half the Earth — or the “full disk” — in five minutes. If forecasters want to home in on an area of severe weather, it can scan that region every 30 seconds. Weather radars can’t even scan faster than six minutes.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Obviously FAKE NEWS!!!! The earth is flat!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      Obviously FAKE NEWS!!!! The earth is flat!!!
      The earth being flat is just an alternative fact.
      "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
        Good to see you, sir.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
          well if that video is to be believed, not only is it flat, but it is two-dimensional. I looked at the back of my monitor while it was playing and I didn't see the earth.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            Good to see you, sir.
            Oh, i'm always around. My job just makes it easier or harder to make my presence known.

Hope all in the Lone Star State is treating you well.
            "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment