Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Humans Caused Extinction of Australia’s Prehistoric Giant Animals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humans Caused Extinction of Australia’s Prehistoric Giant Animals

Ut is becoming more apparent that humans are more responsible for the extinction of the large mammals.

Source: http://www.sci-news.com/paleontology/humans-extinction-megafauna-04554.html

“The Australian collection of megafauna some 50,000 years ago included 1,000-pound kangaroos, 2-ton wombats, 25-foot-long lizards, 400-pound flightless birds, 300-pound marsupial lions and Volkswagen-sized tortoises,” said University of Colorado Boulder Professor Gifford Miller, lead co-author on the study.

“More than 85% of Australia’s mammals, birds and reptiles weighing over 100 pounds went extinct shortly after the arrival of the first humans.”

“Whether humans were responsible for the demise of the Pleistocene megafauna across Australia has been debated for many years,” said lead co-author Dr. Sander van der Kaars, a researcher at Monash University, Australia.

“Our study found that the demise of the megafauna in southwest Australia took place from 45,000 to 43,100 years ago and was not linked to major changes in climate, vegetation or biomass burning but is consistent with extinction being driven by ‘imperceptible overkill’ by humans.”

The researchers analyzed a continuous and precisely dated sediment core collected offshore southwest Australia that captures the last 150,000 years in high resolution.

Environmental proxies preserved in the sediments track environmental change and the abundance of megafauna.

© Copyright Original Source

Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Evolution at it's finest!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
      Perhaps Shuny would prefer that the 'Prehistoric Giant Animals' had caused the extinction of humans.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Perhaps Shuny would prefer that the 'Prehistoric Giant Animals' had caused the extinction of humans.
        Most evolutionists probably prefer that. Animals are always more valuable than humans, don'tcha know?

But, survival of the fittest!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Evolution, yes. Value judgements about the functioning of nature are irrelevant.
          “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Most evolutionists probably prefer that. Animals are always more valuable than humans, don'tcha know?

But, survival of the fittest!
            facepalm3.gif

As silly as saying that Christians prefer it because we believe all humans are sinners.

And survival of the fittest deals with who leaves the most offspring

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
              Source: http://www.sci-news.com/paleontology/humans-extinction-megafauna-04554.html

“The Australian collection of megafauna some 50,000 years ago included 1,000-pound kangaroos, 2-ton wombats, 25-foot-long lizards, 400-pound flightless birds, 300-pound marsupial lions and Volkswagen-sized tortoises,” said University of Colorado Boulder Professor Gifford Miller, lead co-author on the study. ...

© Copyright Original Source

50,000 years ago - carbon dated?

If so, this would be remains from the Flood of Noah.
              http://notontimsblogroundhere.blogspot.fr/p/apologetics-section.html

Thanks, Sparko, for telling how I add the link here!

Comment

Originally posted by hansgeorg View Post
                50,000 years ago - carbon dated?
                Not likely. The dating is likely by K-Ar for the bones, and dating strata where the bones were found, comparing this with dating the related coastal strata.

If so, this would be remains from the Flood of Noah.
                No objective physical evidence for the flood. The strata in the sediment cores is too uniform and fine textured to caused by a flood. Some of the layers are layers of fine textured loess (wind blown silt). Many fine textured deposits are varved clay deposits of ancient lakes with seasonal annual deposits we can observe forming today.
                Last edited by shunyadragon; 01-24-2017, 05:41 AM.
                Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

36F727AD00000578-0-image-a-77_1470576604643.jpg

You're welcome, mate!

Put another Monsterroo on the barby!

Comment

The strata in the sediment cores is too uniform and fine textured to caused by a flood. Some of the layers are layers of fine textured loess (wind blown silt). Many fine textured deposits are varved clay deposits of ancient lakes with seasonal annual deposits we can observe forming today.
                    OK, and where do you get it from that the fine texture of loess cannot have been there during Flood?

Comment

Not likely. The dating is likely by K-Ar for the bones, and dating strata where the bones were found, comparing this with dating the related coastal strata.
                      I checked:

The scientists used radiocarbon and uranium thorium techniques to date the bone as about 50,000 years old, coinciding with the arrival of Australia’s first human inhabitants.

“The new monitor fossil is, minimally, 30,000 years younger than the previous youngest reliably dated record for giant lizards in Australia and for the first time, demonstrates that on a continental scale, humans and giant lizards overlapped in time,” they said.
                      http://www.sci-news.com/paleontology...rds-03267.html

Now, 20,000 to 50,000 carbon years (and with or without U-Pb/Th-Pb carbon seems to be 50,000) is the carbon range for Flood, according to creationists.

Other check:

The two specimens, Simosthenurus occidentalis and Protemnodon anak, have been radiocarbon dated to approximately 45,000 years ago.
                      http://www.sci-news.com/genetics/sci...aby-02403.html
                      Last edited by hansgeorg; 01-24-2017, 08:00 AM. Reason: addition

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]20519[/ATTACH]

As silly as saying that Christians prefer it because we believe all humans are sinners.

And survival of the fittest deals with who leaves the most offspring

You know I'm being facetious, right?

And, frankly, who cares that there are no longer 1000 pound roos bouncing about? Are we really supposed to feel ashamed for something that supposedly happened 50,000 years ago?

Comment

You know I'm being facetious, right?

And, frankly, who cares that there are no longer 1000 pound roos bouncing about? Are we really supposed to feel ashamed for something that supposedly happened 50,000 years ago?
                          Hey for once they can't blame the white folks.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            Hey for once they can't blame the white folks.

Wanna bet?

Comment

I don't feel ashamed, just disappointed i'll never get to see them.

I'm more disappointed about the moas, though - just a few hundred years off.
                              "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment