Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Literal translations of Biblical names?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calminian View Post
    I may be misunderstanding both positions. I wouldn't argue Adam means dirt anymore than Cain means possession. Rather Adam (mankind) was named after the dirt he was made from and that he will return to.

In your analogy, TEA and ETA have no etymological relationship.
    Exactly my point. Geert is playing with with letters and unrelated words rather than talking about the actual meaning of the words as used by the authors of Genesis. For example, he wants to understand 'adam (אדם) as a combination of the ' (א) from 'ni (אֲנִי), meaning 'I', and the dm (דם) from the verb damah (דָּמָה), meaning 'to be like', but he also wants to use the dm (דם) from the 'adam (אדם) to mean dam or 'blood' (דָּם). Playing with words and letters to introduce different ideas, sometimes even profound ideas, can be fun, but it has nothing to do with trying to understand the words as used by the historical authors.
    βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
    ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

tWebber
    Faith
    Unorthodox Messiah
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by robrecht View Post
    Exactly my point. Geert is playing with with letters and unrelated words rather than talking about the actual meaning of the words as used by the authors of Genesis. For example, he wants to understand 'adam (אדם) as a combination of the ' (א) from 'ni (אֲנִי), meaning 'I', and the dm (דם) from the verb damah (דָּמָה), meaning 'to be like', but he also wants to use the dm (דם) from the 'adam (אדם) to mean dam or 'blood' (דָּם). Playing with words and letters to introduce different ideas, sometimes even profound ideas, can be fun, but it has nothing to do with trying to understand the words as used by the historical authors.

Genesis 5:1,
    In the day that God created Adam, in the likeness of God made he him

in the likeness of God = "bid'mut elohim"

Genesis 5:2,
    He named them Adam on the day they were created.

He named them = "vayikra et shemam"

Which is rather compellling: Adam = "ani domeh"

Ezechiel 19:10 links "dam" , blood, with "d'mut" likeness.

Your mother is like a vine in your likeness

in your likeness = בְּדָמְךָ, "b'damcha" = with your blood = wine (fruit of the vine)

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geert van den Bos View Post
    Genesis 5:1,
    In the day that God created Adam, in the likeness of God made he him

in the likeness of God = "bid'mut elohim"

Genesis 5:2,
    He named them Adam on the day they were created.

He named them = "vayikra et shemam"

Which is rather compellling: Adam = "ani domeh"

Ezechiel 19:10 links "dam" , blood, with "d'mut" likeness.

Your mother is like a vine in your likeness

in your likeness = בְּדָמְךָ, "b'damcha" = with your blood = wine (fruit of the vine)
    Sorry, Geert, but none of this is compelling or even ever so slightly plausible to the least possible extent imaginable.
    βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
    ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

tWebber
    Faith
    Unorthodox Messiah
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Mark 10:45,

καὶ γὰρ ὁ υἱὸς τοῦ ἀνθρώπου οὐκ ἦλθεν διακονηθῆναι ἀλλὰ διακονῆσαι καi δοῦναι τὴν ψυχὴν αὐτοῦ λύτρον ἀντὶ πολλῶν = for also the son of man ( = ben (ha)Adam) didn't come to be served, but to serve and give his soul as ransom for the many.

ψυχή = Hebrew "nefesh" = soul

Blood is the soul of the flesh.

Genesis 9:4,
    But, flesh with its soul, its blood, you shall not eat.

Mark 14:24,
    Τοῦτό ἐστιν τὸ αἷμά μου τῆς διαθήκης τὸ ἐκχυννόμενον ὑπὲρ πολλῶν: -- this is my blood of the covenant that is poured out for many.

tWebber
    Faith
    Unorthodox Messiah
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Genesis 4:9-11

Then the Lord said to Cain, “Where is Abel your brother?” He said, “I do not know; am I my brother's keeper?” And the Lord said, “What have you done? The voice of your brother's blood is crying to me from the ground. And now you are cursed from the ground, which has opened its mouth to receive your brother's blood from your hand.

The voice your brother's blood is crying to me from the ground
    Hebrew קוֹל דְּמֵי אָחִיךָ צֹעֲקִים אֵלַי מִן הָאֲדָמָה, "kol d'mei achicha tzoakim elai min ha-adamah"--

Rashi:
    Your brother’s blood: Heb. דְּמֵי, the plural form. His blood and the blood of his descendants.

cf. Matthew 23:35,
    so that on you may come all the righteous blood shed on earth, from the blood of righteous Abel to the blood of Zechariah the son of Barachiah

On all of them who persist that the name Adam should mean "from the ground" --

like also the manslayer, ἀνθρωποκτόνος, from the beginning (John 8:44)