Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Keystone XL, Dakota Access Pipelines back!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seer View Post
    I have no idea if you are or aren't.
    I'm not.
    אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

smoking-pipe-repair-instructions.jpg

Comment

I tried smoking a pipe in college for a short while, in imatation of one of my engineering professors. My Dad mentioned to me that he would never hire a person who smoked a pipe. I, of course, wanted to know the reason for his prejudice against pipe smokers. "They already have a job ... trying to keep the damned thing lit."

Comment

Comment

Yeah, it's their own version, but I thought I'd throw it out as red meat.

https://daplpipelinefacts.com/

Dakota-Access-Pipeline_Path.jpg
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              Yeah, it's their own version, but I thought I'd throw it out as red meat.

https://daplpipelinefacts.com/

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20535[/ATTACH]
              I do like my ribeyes very rare, but with respect to this image, is the implication that the deeper the pipeline is, the less chance of potential negative environmental impacts? Do you know about how issues like various kinds of aquifers may affect potential environmental impacts? I don't, but that might be something worth knowing about.

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
                I do like my ribeyes very rare, but with respect to this image, is the implication that the deeper the pipeline is, the less chance of potential negative environmental impacts? Do you know about how issues like various kinds of aquifers may affect potential environmental impacts? I don't, but that might be something worth knowing about.
                I think that is part of the implication, the other is that there are several other pipelines already crossing the lake, which are much more likely to leak, and nobody is complaining about having them removed.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  I think that is part of the implication, the other is that there are several other pipelines already crossing the lake, which are much more likely to leak, and nobody is complaining about having them removed.
                  The implication that those who are concerned are hypocritical or insincere should be tempered with a question if that is even a legal possibility or realistic issue to be discussed. But that is quite another matter than the question posed, namely, whether or not it would be good to know about how issues like various kinds of aquifers may affect potential environmental impacts.

Comment

The implication that those who are concerned are hypocritical or insincere should be tempered with a question if that is even a legal possibility or realistic issue to be discussed. But that is quite another matter than the question posed, namely, whether or not it would be good to know about how issues like various kinds of aquifers may affect potential environmental impacts.
                    If this pipeline poses a risk, then why don't the other ones already there, which are much shallower? Why isn't anyone trying to get them removed? How did they get there in the first place? Why didn't the Indians stop them then? Why only this pipeline? I think those are valid questions.

Comment

If this pipeline poses a risk, then why don't the other ones already there, which are much shallower? Why isn't anyone trying to get them removed? How did they get there in the first place? Why didn't the Indians stop them then? Why only this pipeline? I think those are valid questions.
                      They are, as was mine. Is shallower always worse when considering the specifics of various types of aquifers? Isn't this the type of thing that would be addressed in an environmental impact study?

Comment

They are, as was mine. Is shallower always worse when considering the specifics of various types of aquifers? Isn't this the type of thing that would be addressed in an environmental impact study?
                        What makes you think there wasn't one?

Comment

What makes you think there wasn't one?
                          Because the Army Corps of Engineers said one should be done.

Comment

Because the Army Corps of Engineers said one should be done.
                            From 2014. Already done:

http://apps.washingtonpost.com/g/pag...statement/789/

Comment

I've only asked about and have only been discussing DAP, not Keystone.

Comment

I've only asked about and have only been discussing DAP, not Keystone.
                                here:

https://www.fws.gov/uploadedFiles/DAPL%20FONSI.pdf

Comment