Announcement

Collapse

World History 201 Guidelines

Welcome to World History 201.

Find out if Caesar crossed the Rubicon or threw a dollar across it.

This is the forum where world history, in general, can be discussed. Since the WH201, like the other fora in the World History department, is not limited to participation along lines of theology, all may post here.

Please keep the Campus Decorum in mind when posting here--while 'belief' restrictions are not in place, common decency is.

The Tweb rules are in force . . . we're watching you.
Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The End Is Near?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The End Is Near?

"Nasa-funded study: industrial civilisation headed for 'irreversible collapse'?

Natural and social scientists develop new model of how 'perfect storm' of crises could unravel global system."

http://www.theguardian.com/environme...udy-scientists
    βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
    ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

What does a space agency know about history and collapse of civilization? Seems out of their area pf expertise.

Comment

A few things I have a strong disagreement with. The clear advocacy toward "equal distribution of resources" to "solve the problem" It lends one to believe that someone has a problem with society in the first place. Secondly there are clear implications that one has to "raise per capita income" What I'm seeing here is that this is very anti-Capitalism and strictly a left leaning agenda of "if we don't do what the liberal agenda says, we'll kill ourselves off." Something tells me that this is REALLY fishy to begin with and has no "science" to begin with. Considering that science isn't politics.
      A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
      George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Civilization developed and has always existed in a state of unequal resources - why would equalizing them save the planet now? Wouldn't that logically mean diverting resources from the places that have infrastructure to develop them to places that can't utilize the resource? Ship crude to the Congo and wonder why they can't turn it into gas?

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

So the consensus here seems to be that the end is not necessarily near. Whew, that's a relief! Otherwise, I might be regretting all those mortgage payments.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            What does a space agency know about history and collapse of civilization? Seems out of their area pf expertise.
            I think NASA only funded the report, not sure why 'though. Is it a push to generate more $$$ for NASA to fund space colonization development projects?

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
              I think NASA only funded the report, not sure why 'though. Is it a push to generate more $$$ for NASA to fund space colonization development projects?
              I don't want to sound like Truthseeker and be a conspiracy nut, but I think that NASA is very desperate for funding, so they are the plaything of politicians who want to shove their agenda on the public. They will bend over and kiss butt all day long to get a few dollars to keep running the space program.

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
                A few things I have a strong disagreement with. The clear advocacy toward "equal distribution of resources" to "solve the problem" It lends one to believe that someone has a problem with society in the first place. Secondly there are clear implications that one has to "raise per capita income" What I'm seeing here is that this is very anti-Capitalism and strictly a left leaning agenda of "if we don't do what the liberal agenda says, we'll kill ourselves off." Something tells me that this is REALLY fishy to begin with and has no "science" to begin with. Considering that science isn't politics.
                Unfortunately, science has become politicized along with everything else, even Christianity. As discussed in this thread:
                http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...itics-as-usual

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                  Civilization developed and has always existed in a state of unequal resources - why would equalizing them save the planet now? Wouldn't that logically mean diverting resources from the places that have infrastructure to develop them to places that can't utilize the resource? Ship crude to the Congo and wonder why they can't turn it into gas?

I don't know, it seemed to work well for the future of humanity on Star Trek, the Gospel According to Gene Roddenberry.

Comment

I don't know, it seemed to work well for the future of humanity on Star Trek, the Gospel According to Gene Roddenberry.

Then why did they have so many emergency missions to go fetch rare Weirdnamedillium from whatever backwater planet actually had it and run it to some other backwater planet that needed it before they all croaked? Why not just apply whatever it was that eliminated poverty for humanity? Hmmmm?
                    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Then why did they have so many emergency missions to go fetch rare Weirdnamedillium from whatever backwater planet actually had it and run it to some other backwater planet that needed it before they all croaked? Why not just apply whatever it was that eliminated poverty for humanity? Hmmmm?
                      Don't confuse Earth's and Vulcan's idyllic state with the mission of the Federation and Starfleet. There will always be a need for Captain Kirk to come to the rescue to meet the initial need or solve the current conflict, but eventually these problematic other worlds will join or be better integrated into the Federation and then everything will be fine.

Comment

Translation: Don't pay any attention to that man behind the curtain...

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          I don't want to sound like Truthseeker and be a conspiracy nut, but I think that NASA is very desperate for funding, so they are the plaything of politicians who want to shove their agenda on the public. They will bend over and kiss butt all day long to get a few dollars to keep running the space program.
                          This is why Starfleet Command is strictly subservient to the Federation High Council. They never seem to need funding, probably because money has become obsolete.

Comment

Translation: Don't pay any attention to that man behind the curtain...
                            Interesting comment. The Wizard of Oz has the opposite worldview to that of Star Trek. Rather than space exploration, there's no place like home. The wizard is a very good man, just not a very good wizard.

Comment

This is why Starfleet Command is strictly subservient to the Federation High Council. They never seem to need funding, probably because money has become obsolete.
                              So, what are credits then, huh?

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X