Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

Anyone Getting a Nintendo Switch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone Getting a Nintendo Switch?

Besides me that is? Luckily my pre-order is good, so I'll for sure have a Switch, and Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild.

sounds intersting but I hear there are not many games for it, yet.

I am not much of a gamer, but when I do play, I prefer PC games. I suck at console controllers.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      sounds intersting but I hear there are not many games for it, yet.

I am not much of a gamer, but when I do play, I prefer PC games. I suck at console controllers.
      Quality is greater than quantity. The motion controls on stuff like the Wii, Wii U, and now the Switch are really intuitive. Even my grandma was able play and enjoy the games on there.

Comment

yeah I could play the wii pretty good. never tried a wii U

Comment

I am interested but it be more likely that it would be for my whole family.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            yeah I could play the wii pretty good. never tried a wii U
            It was compatible with the Wii controllers for most games, and came with a big gamepad with a screen built in that allowed for some interesting things.
            For Christmas I was given Game and Wario, and we've been having a blast with that. Particularly the game "Sketch". It's a lot like Pictionary, except each person has 2 minutes to draw the words given, and the player who guesses correctly gets 1 point, and the person drawing gets 1 point for a correct guess. Up to 5 people can play that game at once. Not a well known title, but it's been great.

Comment

We'll see. but we don't play the Wii or the PS2 that much......
              Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
              1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
              -Ben Witherington III

Comment

After the horrid job that Nintendo did rolling out the NES Classic Mini, I don't think I'm ever buying another Nintendo system again.
                "It seems to me that these women were the head (κεφάλαιον) of the church which was at Philippi." ~ John Chrysostom, Homilies on Philippians 13

Weighted Glory | Christians for Biblical Equality | Worlds Without End: A Mormon Studies Roundtable

Comment

I really want to get one but I think I'll wait.

I am super excited about both the Zelda and Mario games. Both look like they are going to be nonlinear games with a high degree of exploration. Mario hasn't had a truly open world title since Mario 64 (specifically the N64 one, I was disappointed with the remake because the controls weren't very good). And the Zelda one looks to be epic with an even bigger world to explore and surprisingly more of a story.

Originally posted by MsJack View Post
                  After the horrid job that Nintendo did rolling out the NES Classic Mini, I don't think I'm ever buying another Nintendo system again.
                  I don't really know who they were marketing that system to--really hardcore retro gamers will track down the original hardware to play, while less hardcore would be pretty okay with playing it emulated on Wii-U, and frankly I can't see those games appealing to kids who didn't grow up with it. And not just because a lot of games today have a lot of hand-holding but because of the advancements. Remember the era before you could save your game? Remember passwords? Remember the arbitrary difficulty put in to extend game length time? Or the unfathomable amount of grinding in RPGs? I think they put in at least one save state but I don't think that's enough. Or maybe I have the wrong idea about the mini and there are tons of new players all clamoring to get one.

I think, though, that they are doing a better job with the Switch. The problem with the Wii-U is that they didn't market it properly and a lot of people thought it was just another Wii. And it suffered from a lack of games (while the 3DS hasn't, that thing has a massive library of fun games to play which is probably why they are going to continue to support it). I think they are getting greater third party support and have already announced a bunch of new games they are making for it. So I'm optimistic they aren't going to bomb it like they did with the Wii-U.
                  Last edited by Paula; 01-26-2017, 09:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Paula View Post
                    I don't really know who they were marketing that system to
                    Apparently it appealed to a lot of people, or they wouldn't have been sold out for months.

I had to wait in line outside a GameStop for 2 hours on opening day to get mine, and they didn't have any accessories or spare controllers. The basic controller that comes with it is only 30" long, so you practically have to sit on top of it to play. My kids have expressed interest in it, but we still don't have a second controller or longer cords yet. I ordered some 3rd party wireless controllers in late December which turned out to be duds.

I just cannot fathom why Nintendo didn't have more supplies ready to go, or didn't get more sooner once it became clear it was a hot item. I had thought they would at least get more in by Christmas, but they didn't. They could say that they honestly didn't know it would be so popular (they didn't know that they were going to need more than 5-12 units per store on opening day? Really?), but they refused to take pre-orders, which would have eliminated that problem. Just incompetence on their part.

There is a save-state feature that takes care of the old saving problem with a lot of the games.

Anyhow, after that Edited by a Moderator to the fans, I kind of decided I'm done with Nintendo for a while.

Moderated By: rogue06

Please be more careful with veiled profanities & vulgarities in the future. Thanks.

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
                    Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

Last edited by rogue06; 01-27-2017, 10:46 AM.
                    "It seems to me that these women were the head (κεφάλαιον) of the church which was at Philippi." ~ John Chrysostom, Homilies on Philippians 13

Weighted Glory | Christians for Biblical Equality | Worlds Without End: A Mormon Studies Roundtable

Comment

Apparently it appealed to a lot of people, or they wouldn't have been sold out for months.

I had to wait in line outside a GameStop for 2 hours on opening day to get mine, and they didn't have any accessories or spare controllers. The basic controller that comes with it is only 30" long, so you practically have to sit on top of it to play. My kids have expressed interest in it, but we still don't have a second controller or longer cords yet. I ordered some 3rd party wireless controllers in late December which turned out to be duds.

I just cannot fathom why Nintendo didn't have more supplies ready to go, or didn't get more sooner once it became clear it was a hot item. I had thought they would at least get more in by Christmas, but they didn't. They could say that they honestly didn't know it would be so popular (they didn't know that they were going to need more than 5-12 units per store on opening day? Really?), but they refused to take pre-orders, which would have eliminated that problem. Just incompetence on their part.

There is a save-state feature that takes care of the old saving problem with a lot of the games.

Anyhow, after that FU to the fans, I kind of decided I'm done with Nintendo for a while.
                      Yeah good point it was sold out so obviously there are people interested in it. Its a little amazing it did even with the nostalgia factor. I guess more people are interested in retro games. Don't get me wrong, I love a lot of old games myself, but I also understand their flaws.

The same thing happened with Amiibos, leading some to suggest that Nintendo was deliberately sending out too few in order to create scarcity. I don't necessarily buy that (I tend to be pretty skeptical of conspiracy theories) but you still gotta wonder.

I can understand not being thrilled with that, that sounds like a pretty bad experience. It's strange, Nintendo makes some pretty stable systems and great games, but then stuff like this happens and its just a little odd.
                      Last edited by Paula; 01-27-2017, 01:21 AM.

Comment

Anyhow, after that Edited by a Moderator to the fans, I kind of decided I'm done with Nintendo for a while.
                        I think it's an underestimation of how popular it would be, combined with the impending release of the Switch, which they needed to put out as much as possible since that system has a lot more riding on it. You can only do so many things at once, even when you are a major corporation. Man, I remember when the Wii came out, it was hard to get for years despite them constantly making more consoles.
                        Last edited by rogue06; 01-27-2017, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                          I think it's an underestimation of how popular it would be, combined with the impending release of the Switch, which they needed to put out as much as possible since that system has a lot more riding on it. You can only do so many things at once, even when you are a major corporation. Man, I remember when the Wii came out, it was hard to get for years despite them constantly making more consoles.
                          Yeah, but do other console companies ever seem to have supply problems like this? I can't think of any examples myself.

I do get that the Switch is a bigger money-maker than something like this (which, with accessories, doesn't net them more than $100/pop), but it is bizarre.

Anyhow, I hope that everyone who wants a Switch enjoys it. I finally got a second controller and longer cords today and have been enjoying some retro gaming from the comfort of my couch at last.

Comment

Yeah, but do other console companies ever seem to have supply problems like this? I can't think of any examples myself.
                            Yes they do. Sony with the Playstation 2 for example. They had a huge issue with memory cards, which were necessary for every game. PS4 and Xbox One also had shortages, especially around Christmas.

I do get that the Switch is a bigger money-maker than something like this (which, with accessories, doesn't net them more than $100/pop), but it is bizarre.
                            Not really. Nintendo has had two major issues with supply. One with the Nintendo Wii, and more recently the NES Mini Classic. The latter doesn't seem to have lasted nearly as long as an issue as the Wii did. That was years before you could reliably find them in stores, mostly due to the fact that people who never played video games before were buying the Wii due to games like Wii Sports.

Anyhow, I hope that everyone who wants a Switch enjoys it. I finally got a second controller and longer cords today and have been enjoying some retro gaming from the comfort of my couch at last.
                            I know I'm really looking forward to it. Especially Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X