Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

A New Religion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    Pirate. Gold. duh.
    Which you use to obtain bacon with. Just figured you would cut out the middle man.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Not a new religion by any means.
      Sounds like one I left fifty years ago.
      When I Survey....

Comment

But:
        Definition of God
        1. God is expressed in the words and deeds of human beings.

So do a deed, God. Make me a gold brick. Pirates like gold, ya know. It would be a good deed.
        You’re reading far too much into it. You need to strip away all your preconceptions about God and get back to the pure essence of the idea of God and then let it free. God is unconstrained so long as you pay no attention to ‘Him’. This is the true meaning of communion with God.
        “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
        “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
        “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
          Very similar to the Unitarian Universalist Church, which has existed for many years.
          Similar but this nameless religion embraces no spiritual teaching at all. These are all distractions. It relies instead on God’s wisdom without actually claiming any knowledge of God including whether ‘He’ is actually wise, or anything else.

I am not sure yet whether it is a useful religion but it certainly is unimpeachable on rational grounds.
          “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
          “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
            Perhaps, but it is the core of every religion
            It's not the core of my religion. Nor was it the core of my religion when I was a Christian. It's possible that it's common to some religions, but it's certainly not common to every religion.

The fact that it is the common core tells us that all the other paraphernalia including creeds and holy books are redundant
            In what way does this make creeds and writings redundant? Perhaps you mean "extraneous?"

and even a distraction from the purpose of religion which presumably is communion with God.
            Again, not the purpose of my religion. And mine is certainly not unique in that respect. Even a number of theistic religions don't consider communion with the divine to be their purpose.

The creeds and the holy books and everything else are all accidents of history and therefore we should not be obsessive about them.
            "Accidents of history" is a fair bit too dismissive, even if you reject their content.
            "[Mathematics] is the revealer of every genuine truth, for it knows every hidden secret, and bears the key to every subtlety of letters; whoever, then, has the effrontery to pursue physics while neglecting mathematics should know from the start he will never make his entry through the portals of wisdom."
            --Thomas Bradwardine, De Continuo (c. 1325)

Comment

You’re reading far too much into it. You need to strip away all your preconceptions about God and get back to the pure essence of the idea of God and then let it free. God is unconstrained so long as you pay no attention to ‘Him’. This is the true meaning of communion with God.
              so basically your god is nothing at all much like the content of your posts

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing Pythagoras View Post
                In what way does this make creeds and writings redundant? Perhaps you mean "extraneous?"
                Extraneous is fine with me. We see a great diversity of creeds arranged in a branching structure indicating a lack of direction towards anything real. So, strip out the garbage.

Comment

so basically your god is nothing at all much like the content of your posts
                  It’s just that whatever you know about God, I know a whole lot less. But by knowing nothing about God I do not detract from God but let Him do His thing unhindered by my expectations or petitions.

Comment

It’s just that whatever you know about God, I know a whole lot less. But by knowing nothing about God I do not detract from God but let Him do His thing unhindered by my expectations or petitions.
                    God is going to do "his thing" without your permission. To your regret one day.

Comment

God is going to do "his thing" without your permission. To your regret one day.
                      No permissions, no regrets either. Things like these are humanly devised bolt-ons.

Comment

No permissions, no regrets either. Things like these are humanly devised bolt-ons.
                        If you are right, we will never know. If we are right, you will one day find out.

Comment

If you are right, we will never know. If we are right, you will one day find out.
                          Even Pascal's wager has no purchase in this framework.

Comment

Even Pascal's wager has no purchase in this framework.
                            in your framework of nothing, sure. but in the real world where there is a God who will judge all people, you will be surprised. If you are right and there is no God but what you make up in your head, then when you die, you won't know anything, right or wrong.

Comment

in your framework of nothing, sure. but in the real world where there is a God who will judge all people, you will be surprised. If you are right and there is no God but what you make up in your head, then when you die, you won't know anything, right or wrong.
                              I think you are claiming knowledge you do not have. It seems to me that religions are a response to human desires and human existential questions. Religions are not made by God but by men. The God is hidden behind all that stuff that religions do. This religion is more truthful because it does not compromise by making claims on God's behalf about anything no matter how insignificant.

You might be wrong. I can't be. Why? Because I refuse to say anything that I might be wrong about.

Comment

Doctrine:
                                Definition of God
                                1. God is expressed in the words and deeds of human beings.

God’s Revelation
                                1. None

Liturgy:
                                1. None

Cult:
                                1. None

Statement of Faith
                                1. None

Apologetic:
                                1. This doctrine cannot be justified other than by the common sense view that it is simple and therefore unlikely to offend anyone. It is considered important to avoid adding anything to the various aspects of the religion stated above.

But, is this a useful God?
                                Traditionally, Gods have had to do work in the community they serve in order to attract a degree of devotion. From the definition above we see that such work is exactly expressed by the actions of the devotees. The remaining question is whether this religion is able to attract devotion and mobilise good deeds in the same way that traditional religions have done.

The lack of liturgy, creed and so on seems to be a major drawback because without them there seems to be no reason to gather with other people to worship God – this last point is where most other religions go wrong – this God is ‘worshiped’ by our actions towards other people and other creatures in the world and nothing else.

So, instead of going inward, into our Church to worship God, in this religion we go outwards into the world and by our actions we worship God.

How to Join:
                                This religion has no name, no HQ, no mission, no meetings. Membership is free. All are welcome.

Finally, I am tempted to make the bold claim that so low is the barrier to membership that we are all, in fact, members of this great Church. Welcome fellow parishioners.
                                Too enlightened for most people FF, they need their gods to give life meaning.
                                “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment