Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

A New Religion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
    it is the core of every religion.
    I have belonged to a few varieties of Christianity. It wasn't the core of any of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Shaver View Post
      I have belonged to a few varieties of Christianity. It wasn't the core of any of them.
      But there is probably a core idea at the heart of any religion like, say, the idea of hidden agency. The rest is accretion, spalling, more accretion, all man made but not deliberate in design.
      “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
      “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
      “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

But there is probably a core idea at the heart of any religion like, say, the idea of hidden agency. The rest is accretion, spalling, more accretion, all man made but not deliberate in design.
        Again, the idea of hidden agency is not at the core of my religion, and I am quite aware of a number of other religions from which this notion is similarly absent.

Your whole inspiration for this post, FF, seems to have been made in error. You are looking for a philosophical thread common through the fabric of all religions. Unfortunately, the one which you chose is not actually common to all religions.
        "[Mathematics] is the revealer of every genuine truth, for it knows every hidden secret, and bears the key to every subtlety of letters; whoever, then, has the effrontery to pursue physics while neglecting mathematics should know from the start he will never make his entry through the portals of wisdom."
        --Thomas Bradwardine, De Continuo (c. 1325)

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing Pythagoras View Post
          Again, the idea of hidden agency is not at the core of my religion, and I am quite aware of a number of other religions from which this notion is similarly absent.

Your whole inspiration for this post, FF, seems to have been made in error. You are looking for a philosophical thread common through the fabric of all religions. Unfortunately, the one which you chose is not actually common to all religions.
          Would you care to suggest a better one?
          “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
          “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Comment

Would you care to suggest a better one?
            I am honestly not aware of any philosophical thread which is common through the fabric of all religions. Nor do I see any real purpose in seeking one out. Even if such a commonality existed, that would not imply that all that which is not common is therefore extraneous.
            "[Mathematics] is the revealer of every genuine truth, for it knows every hidden secret, and bears the key to every subtlety of letters; whoever, then, has the effrontery to pursue physics while neglecting mathematics should know from the start he will never make his entry through the portals of wisdom."

Comment

I think you are claiming knowledge you do not have. It seems to me that religions are a response to human desires and human existential questions. Religions are not made by God but by men. The God is hidden behind all that stuff that religions do. This religion is more truthful because it does not compromise by making claims on God's behalf about anything no matter how insignificant.

You might be wrong. I can't be. Why? Because I refuse to say anything that I might be wrong about.
              You've done a great job in contradicting yourself. So you are wrong about something. You have asserted that religion is made by men. And " It seems to me that religions are a response to human desires and human existential questions." As such, you may be wrongly attributing Christianity to your model of religion. You are "claiming knowledge you do no have."

Comment

But there is probably a core idea at the heart of any religion
                Lexicographers, philosophers, and others who need to define religion have failed to reach a consensus on how to do it. This suggests that they have failed to find a core idea at the heart of all religions. It is possible that you have succeeded, but you haven't shown me a reason to think you have.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Shaver View Post
                  Lexicographers, philosophers, and others who need to define religion have failed to reach a consensus on how to do it. This suggests that they have failed to find a core idea at the heart of all religions. It is possible that you have succeeded, but you haven't shown me a reason to think you have.
                  Perhaps a better word would have been seed. We can imagine a seed with accretion about it that completely obscures the original idea. It is possible to peel backwards to identify that seed by asking why this or that and avoiding circularity.

Comment

Perhaps a better word would have been seed. We can imagine a seed with accretion about it that completely obscures the original idea. It is possible to peel backwards to identify that seed by asking why this or that and avoiding circularity.
                    Changing the word doesn't help if you're still asserting the same erroneous claim. Your OP does not represent a common core about which all religions formed, nor a central seed around which all religious tradition accreted. Your entire focus in this thread seems, at best, misguided.

Comment

Perhaps a better word would have been seed. We can imagine a seed with accretion about it that completely obscures the original idea.
                      We can imagine anything. And, once in a while, our imaginations provide good ideas. But we never know how good they are until until we test them.

Comment

Doctrine:
                        Definition of God
                        1. God is expressed in the words and deeds of human beings.
                        If I may, I would rephrase it as--- worship/piety = right intentions that lead to right actions.
                        if so, then an important component is missing---"Right belief" (which may or may not have "God")
                        In order for this philosophy to be of benefit to humanity (both in terms of physical survival as well as spiritual progress) Right belief (paradigm/world-view) is necessary.
                        ...the formula would then be --- Right belief that promotes right intentions that lead to right actions for the benefit of all of (God's) creation = worship/piety.

Belief(paradigm) is a set of presumptions (meta-narrative) that a group gives assent to and from which flow other principles and values.

Belief systems may be various, but there is an element that can identify if a particular system leans towards benefit or not. It is an element that promotes the right degree of altruism. Human nature needs two characteristics to survive one is self-interest and the other is altruism---but both in extreme lead to destruction. There is not much need for any belief system to promote self-interest as human beings instinctively follow it for self-preservation. So, the element that successful and beneficial belief systems promotes is balanced altruism. This is the concept of Unity/Oneness. In Islam this element is expressed as Tawheed (Unity/One God). Other philosophies use other terms/concepts to express this element which makes up "Right" belief.

A balanced mix of competition and co-operation inter/intra group is best for human progress. A paradigm that encourages such an environment while also preventing/minimizing harm is one that can successfully promote benefit for all humanity.

here is one perspective:-

https://www.ted.com/talks/robert_wri...mism#t-1081627

Comment

Originally posted by siam View Post
                          If I may, I would rephrase it as--- worship/piety = right intentions that lead to right actions.
                          if so, then an important component is missing---"Right belief" (which may or may not have "God")
                          In order for this philosophy to be of benefit to humanity (both in terms of physical survival as well as spiritual progress) Right belief (paradigm/world-view) is necessary.
                          ...the formula would then be --- Right belief that promotes right intentions that lead to right actions for the benefit of all of (God's) creation = worship/piety.

Belief(paradigm) is a set of presumptions (meta-narrative) that a group gives assent to and from which flow other principles and values.

Belief systems may be various, but there is an element that can identify if a particular system leans towards benefit or not. It is an element that promotes the right degree of altruism. Human nature needs two characteristics to survive one is self-interest and the other is altruism---but both in extreme lead to destruction. There is not much need for any belief system to promote self-interest as human beings instinctively follow it for self-preservation. So, the element that successful and beneficial belief systems promotes is balanced altruism. This is the concept of Unity/Oneness. In Islam this element is expressed as Tawheed (Unity/One God). Other philosophies use other terms/concepts to express this element which makes up "Right" belief.

A balanced mix of competition and co-operation inter/intra group is best for human progress. A paradigm that encourages such an environment while also preventing/minimizing harm is one that can successfully promote benefit for all humanity.

here is one perspective:-

https://www.ted.com/talks/robert_wri...mism#t-1081627
                          The reality of what you propose above better represents the Baha'i Faith, including the ted talk cited.

Islam is too inconsistent as it is expressed in the modern world to provide guidance for today's changing world.
                          Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                          Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                          But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                            The reality of what you propose above better represents the Baha'i Faith, including the ted talk cited.

Islam is too inconsistent as it is expressed in the modern world to provide guidance for today's changing world.
                            Its not about labels---its about the characteristics of systems/philosophies that have the potential for benefit or the potential for harm. Belief systems that promote fragmentation/divisions instead of Unity have the potential to cause discord and therefore to harm. Diversity itself is essential for human survival and progress---Physically we need a diverse gene pool and spiritually we need diverse ways of understanding reality in order to remain dynamic and adaptable. But fragmentation/division caused by Tribalism (superior/inferior) has the potential to lead to zero-sum outcomes---the idea that "we" are entitled but "they" are not because we are superior to them. The Muslim Philosopher Al Gazali called this the "Iblisi Logic" and it comes from a story in the Quran about Iblis who refused to bow to Adam (pbuh) on the pretext that he was a superior creation. The reason why Iblisi logic has the potential to lead to harm is simple---its because it is unbalanced towards prioritizing self-interest. This leads to self-destruction because at the end of the line in terms of degrees of self-interest is individual self-interest and the laws of nature are simply not favorable to lone survival. So, in zero-sum, even if we win--we actually lose. Humans can only flourish in co-operative groups.

Comment

Originally posted by siam View Post
                              Its not about labels---its about the characteristics of systems/philosophies that have the potential for benefit or the potential for harm. Belief systems that promote fragmentation/divisions instead of Unity have the potential to cause discord and therefore to harm.
                              We are not talking about labels. We are talking about the facts about the state of affairs ot today's world. At present the ancient religions and their fractured divisions like, Judaism, Christianity and Islam not only have the potential for harm, but do cause harm and violence in today's world.

Diversity itself is essential for human survival and progress---Physically we need a diverse gene pool and spiritually we need diverse ways of understanding reality in order to remain dynamic and adaptable. But fragmentation/division caused by Tribalism (superior/inferior) has the potential to lead to zero-sum outcomes---the idea that "we" are entitled but "they" are not because we are superior to them. The Muslim Philosopher Al Gazali called this the "Iblisi Logic" and it comes from a story in the Quran about Iblis who refused to bow to Adam (pbuh) on the pretext that he was a superior creation. The reason why Iblisi logic has the potential to lead to harm is simple---its because it is unbalanced towards prioritizing self-interest. This leads to self-destruction because at the end of the line in terms of degrees of self-interest is individual self-interest and the laws of nature are simply not favorable to lone survival. So, in zero-sum, even if we win--we actually lose. Humans can only flourish in co-operative groups.
                              All well and good, but very naive, considered the fractured, adversarial nature of ancient religions they do not offer the guidance necessary for humans to flourish in co-operative groups between those that believe differently, and we loose.
                              Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                              Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                              But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

You’re reading far too much into it. You need to strip away all your preconceptions about God and get back to the pure essence of the idea of God and then let it free. God is unconstrained so long as you pay no attention to ‘Him’. This is the true meaning of communion with God.
                                So - atheism is theism ?

Comment