Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

solipsism - Is this a justifiable charge against atheists?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• solipsism - Is this a justifiable charge against atheists?

In another thread Leonard accused atheists of being slopsists here; http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...ight=solipsism

Originally posted by Leonard
    I would rather call it a choice, as I don't like the implication that beliefs can't be based on evidence. It is, in the end, a choice. Though for the life of me I can't see why anyone would choose solipsism.
    I asked the question;

I believe solipsism is the belief that; "I am the only mind which exists," or "My mental states are the only mental states." I believe the view of the atheists and maybe strong agnostics is that "All minds and mental states that exist are naturally the result of physical brains, and no other 'minds' nor 'mental states' exist."

The only thing I could conclude is that this is indirectly a challenge to 'Philosophical Naturalism.'

Please clarify how 'solipsism' applies here, and how it is a problem with atheism.

I believe accusing atheists as solipsists is a fallacy, but which fallacy?
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

The fallacy of shunyadragon trying to understand Leonhard. I call this fallacy: brainfart.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      The fallacy of shunyadragon trying to understand Leonhard. I call this fallacy: brainfart.
      I don't even understand what he is asking. Do you?
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
        I don't even understand what he is asking. Do you?
        Leonhard and you were talking about Tassman and JimL's views of reality and freewill. Shuny could not follow along and is wondering why Leonhard thinks atheists believe that only they are real.

Comment

Leonhard and you were talking about Tassman and JimL's views of reality and freewill. Shuny could not follow along and is wondering why Leonhard thinks atheists believe that only they are real.
          LOL, that was not at all what Leonhard was getting at!
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

LOL, that was not at all what Leonhard was getting at!
            I know. It only took me two minutes to read back through the thread a page and figure it out. I had not even been reading the thread before.

Comment

I know. It only took me two minutes to read back through the thread a page and figure it out. I had not even been reading the thread before.
              So far no coherent response. Actually I do not consider solipsism to to be a viable belief from any perspective, and especially any form of atheism nor agnosticism.
              Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
              Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
              But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

My name was mentioned so much in this thread, I took Shunya off ignore for a bit to see what on Earth he was rambling about now.

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                In another thread Leonard accused atheists of being slopsists here; http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...ight=solipsism
                Shunya, you're burning a strawman. I didn't accuse atheists of being solipsists. I said that that were only two rational choices: solipsism or empiricism. This was in response to seer's skeptical threat arguments to JimL. We make a choice between those two positions.

That's really all I said.

I believe solipsism is the belief that; "I am the only mind which exists," or "My mental states are the only mental states." I believe the view of the atheists and maybe strong agnostics is that "All minds and mental states that exist are naturally the result of physical brains, and no other 'minds' nor 'mental states' exist."
                It can also more softly be the position that nothing except one's own thoughts are knowable. Or even that knowledge, in general, is completely impossible. Though this is usually called 'Radical Skepticism'

The only thing I could conclude is that this is indirectly a challenge to 'Philosophical Naturalism.'
                It was no challenge. Just a clarification to seer.

Please clarify how 'solipsism' applies here, and how it is a problem with atheism.
                It's not anymore a problem for 'atheists' than it is for 'theists', it's about what sort of commitments you have. There's no rational argument you could in principle use to argue a committed solipsist out of solipsism. It's a choice that person has made. If you discount all external sensory perceptions or even the validity of your thought process, no argument could avail you.

For a hilarious example of this, see this scene from the old indie movie Darkstar, where a crew tries to convince a sentient bomb not to explode.

I believe accusing atheists as solipsists is a fallacy, but which fallacy?
                Most atheists aren't solipsists, so I wouldn't accuse them of being it. I have read the writings of a few radical postmodernists who were soft solipsists (they believed knowledge was impossible), and as far as I know, they were atheists.

Very few people (I doubt any) are solipsistic. It's more of a curious intellectual problem in regards to how we know what we know, and what we can trust given that our senses can be fooled, and our thoughts can err. Solipsism is perfect self-consistent and infinitely simpler than actually trying to deal with this whole thing we call Reality.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                  So far no coherent response. Actually I do not consider solipsism to to be a viable belief from any perspective, and especially any form of atheism nor agnosticism.
                  The point shuny is that Leonhard never said what you claimed. And the reason why solipsism is attractive is that it is logically consistent. You can not logically (i.e. deductively) demonstrate that what goes on in your mind corresponds to reality. That is a leap of faith, or as Leonhard said, a chosen commitment, and this is done without logical justification.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                    There it is in a nut shell!

Comment

There it is in a nut shell!
                      Dark Star is awesome.
                      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                        Dark Star is awesome.
                        I have no idea what Dark Star is, but that was a good clip.

Comment

Wait. so how do I know that there are actually other people typing posts into this thread and not just some spambots?

Comment

Wait. so how do I know that there are actually other people typing posts into this thread and not just some spambots?
                            That's preposterous. Of course, we're real! Now, about that Nigerian Prince who wants to give you money...
                            "[Mathematics] is the revealer of every genuine truth, for it knows every hidden secret, and bears the key to every subtlety of letters; whoever, then, has the effrontery to pursue physics while neglecting mathematics should know from the start he will never make his entry through the portals of wisdom."
                            --Thomas Bradwardine, De Continuo (c. 1325)

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing Pythagoras View Post
                              That's preposterous. Of course, we're real! Now, about that Nigerian Prince who wants to give you money...
                              But I can't take your word for it! You could be a spambot!

Comment