Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

New telephone scam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Remember the 'fax warnings' about not flashing your lights at cars without their lights on at night? Cause that was a gang initiation, and they would kill you!
    Yep. I remember my aunt was pretty paranoid about that one.

Comment

Just FYI if this proves to be real its actually a recycling of a very very old scam where credit card companies, magazine sales, etc would call you and ask for some information. They would wait for a "yes" then sign you up and send a credit card or a book order, magazine subscription etc.
      Its really important according to the FTC to have good phone etiquette such as "May I ask who is calling?" "Speaking" "Could you please state your business identification?" Would you mind sending the terms of this over email or through the regular mail so I can look this over and make a decision. That way you avoid yes and no statements as well as phishing and giving someone you have not done business with accidental permission to check your credit, sensitive information, or other information you want to remain private.
      A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
      George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Then there are those despicable scams that prey on the weak and vulnerable. Like that scam going around Canada (might be going around the States too but I haven't heard anything about it) where the basic gist of the scam is they'd call you up, state they were Canada Revenue, tell you that you owe money to the government, to pay up or the police are going to come there and arrest you, and then tell you to go get a bunch of iTunes cards.

http://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/exclusive-o...ards-1.2959291

The smart and sensible thing is to screen your calls or if you do answer for whatever reason to not respond and just hang up. Basically this scam works based on fear of authority, because the people in question are afraid of getting in trouble. Anyone can make up a badge number or sound official.

Unfortunately there is a growing trend of scamming and even those of us who are suspicious and cynical can be taken by surprise.

Comment

Most scams are pretty obvious. I'm getting hit by a pretty heavy one now though. I just bought a car, and the warranty is up, and there's this company that sends tons of letters and phone calls pretending to be some official warranter, as though they worked with the dealership or the manufacturer. Basically they're trying to bilk you into extending your warranty with them, with no intention of paying out if something goes wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
            Most scams are pretty obvious. I'm getting hit by a pretty heavy one now though. I just bought a car, and the warranty is up, and there's this company that sends tons of letters and phone calls pretending to be some official warranter, as though they worked with the dealership or the manufacturer. Basically they're trying to bilk you into extending your warranty with them, with no intention of paying out if something goes wrong.
            Yeah, those go directly in the trash (if they come in the mail) or I block the phone number if they come on my cell.

A lot of people don't realize there's a lot of wiggle room in that original "extended warranty" the dealer tries to sell you. I have seen "4 column pricing" for those extended warranty plans, and I never ever take their first offer. In fact, I seldom take their last offer.

But, every once in a while, they seem really willing to deal, and I'll buy the extended warranty. But NEVER the after market "extra" extended warranty.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Yeah I got burned with an extended warranty directly from the dealer once

When my car broke down in Florida once I found out the warranty was only good at that specific dealership that I bought the car from

I also get those third party offers in the mail that adrift mentioned

Never again

Comment

Originally posted by Paula View Post
                Then there are those despicable scams that prey on the weak and vulnerable. Like that scam going around Canada (might be going around the States too but I haven't heard anything about it) where the basic gist of the scam is they'd call you up, state they were Canada Revenue, tell you that you owe money to the government, to pay up or the police are going to come there and arrest you, and then tell you to go get a bunch of iTunes cards.

http://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/exclusive-o...ards-1.2959291

The smart and sensible thing is to screen your calls or if you do answer for whatever reason to not respond and just hang up. Basically this scam works based on fear of authority, because the people in question are afraid of getting in trouble. Anyone can make up a badge number or sound official.

Unfortunately there is a growing trend of scamming and even those of us who are suspicious and cynical can be taken by surprise.
                I work in law enforcement. We started getting complaints about this scam. Since the culprits are in Nigeria or where ever, there's nothing we can do. So...my co-workers proceeded to spend over a week calling the guys back (think 30 or more calls a day, to them). They'd chat with them, pretend to be victims, sometimes just outright play 20 questions with them to waste their time. We learned quite a bit about how the operation works.

But my favorite was when one co-worker waited for them to threaten to have him arrested over unpaid taxes. He then launched into this big, dramatic rant about how he couldn't go back to prison, even if he had to kill himself and ended the phone call saying he was going to get his gun. The scammer was freaking out, yelling that it was a scam, and not to kill himself. So then we called him back and said we were investigating a suicide and we were calling them because that was the last number the guy called. Silence on the other end.

Take that, bad guys. We can't arrest you...but at least we can nearly induce a heart attack and make you feel bad about yourselves.
                "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

I may be in the minority but I always answer my phone regardless of whether I recognize the number, but I hang up nearly instantly if it is clearly not a legitimate call. I don't waste time talking my way out of telemarketing calls.
                  "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                    I may be in the minority but I always answer my phone regardless of whether I recognize the number, but I hang up nearly instantly if it is clearly not a legitimate call. I don't waste time talking my way out of telemarketing calls.
                    I have to as it's also my work number, and a number of our clients PBX systems hide their numbers.

Only had one scam call, and that was someone wanting to get me into trading Forex. I hung up on him.
                    Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                    1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                    -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
                      I have to as it's also my work number, and a number of our clients PBX systems hide their numbers.

Only had one scam call, and that was someone wanting to get me into trading Forex. I hung up on him.
                      If you were Canadian, you'd have to apologize.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        If you were Canadian, you'd have to apologize.

I don't apologize to telemarketers when I hang up on them!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                          I don't apologize
                          No True Canuckistani

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            No True Canuckistani

So you will quit teasing me, then.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

So you will quit teasing me, then.
                              Well, you were there loooooooong before it was considered Canuckistan so I guess you're exempt from mandatory Canuckistani behavior

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment