Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

New telephone scam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New telephone scam

(My apologies if I'm posting this in the wrong area or if someone's already posted about it; someone feel free to move, lock or redirect it if need be.)

I just read this morning about a new telephone scam that's been going around: Someone answers the phone, say "hello", and a voice is heard on the other end asking "Can you hear me?" At that point, if the call recipient says "yes", s/he instantly becomes a victim of this scam -- and I don't exactly understand how it works even from reading the source (at the link below) but it becomes used to commit credit card fraud or some other such thing.

So what they're advising is that if you answer the phone and hear someone ask if they can hear you, say nothing and hang up right away. (As for me, that's why I don't even answer the phone at all if I don't recognize the name or number on the call display.)

Just a heads up for you all so you're in the know.

Source:
    http://www.cbsnews.com/news/beware-n...-hear-me-scam/
    ~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight spam!

Originally posted by The Melody Maker View Post
    (My apologies if I'm posting this in the wrong area or if someone's already posted about it; someone feel free to move, lock or redirect it if need be.)

I just read this morning about a new telephone scam that's been going around: Someone answers the phone, say "hello", and a voice is heard on the other end asking "Can you hear me?" At that point, if the call recipient says "yes", s/he instantly becomes a victim of this scam -- and I don't exactly understand how it works even from reading the source (at the link below) but it becomes used to commit credit card fraud or some other such thing.

So what they're advising is that if you answer the phone and hear someone ask if they can hear you, say nothing and hang up right away. (As for me, that's why I don't even answer the phone at all if I don't recognize the name or number on the call display.)

Just a heads up for you all so you're in the know.

Source:
    http://www.cbsnews.com/news/beware-n...-hear-me-scam/
    Thats interesting. Don't think it can happen in Oz. Generally, here automated bill payments are auto charged to your card by direct arrangement with a provider. Other than that, banks etc provide a bill-payment (Bpay) facility - so someone has to get past bank etc security.

Comment

They must be taking the recording of you saying yes, and editing it with them asking something like "Do you agree to the charges?"

Heck all they really need to ask is, "Is this (your name)?" most people automatically say "yes" without thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        They must be taking the recording of you saying yes, and editing it with them asking something like "Do you agree to the charges?"

Heck all they really need to ask is, "Is this (your name)?" most people automatically say "yes" without thinking.
        I always ask who is calling when they do that.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I tend to say "why are you looking for him?"

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

I am quite short with these. They will ask if I am me, or ask for my husband or son, and I will ask them who they are and what do they want. Then when they explain who they are, I simply say, "not interested" and hang up.

Mostly I don't answer if I don't recognize the number.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
              I am quite short with these. They will ask if I am me, or ask for my husband or son, and I will ask them who they are and what do they want. Then when they explain who they are, I simply say, "not interested" and hang up.

I have my phone listed under a fictitious name (much cheaper than getting an unlisted number) so if someone calls asking for them I simply hang up.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

This could be very hard to guard against since there are any number of ways to get someone to unthinkingly say, "Yes." I suppose the best defense is to be immediately suspicious of calls from any number you don't recognize. For those of us with business phones, that's a little bit harder since we can regularly get legitimate calls from unknown numbers.
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

There are so many ways to trick someone into saying yes. They could pretend to be taking a political poll and asking yes/no questions for example.

I tend to do like melmak, if I don't recognize the phone number, especially if it is out of state, I just let it go to voicemail. If it is important they will leave a message and I can call back. If they don't leave a message, I add them to my blocked list.

I am also on the no-call list, but that would only stop honest people, not scammers.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

I hope not too many of your family and friends are getting upset at you doing that to them. ;)

Comment

I recently got a suspicious call from a number in "Canada, eh" and was asked "Arrrr, do ye like bacon?" I replied "who doesn't?"

Comment

I recently got a suspicious call from a number in "Canada, eh" and was asked "Arrrr, do ye like bacon?" I replied "who doesn't?"
                        Got it! Thank you sir! Enjoy your 2 tons of Tofu Bacon for $4,000

Comment

Got it! Thank you sir! Enjoy your 2 tons of Tofu Bacon for $4,000
                          Only a shiftless pirate would think something cobbled from two different voices that would sound like "yeast" without the "t" at the end will cut it.

As an aside, I guess you discovered that the bacon in one of your bacon vaults got replaced with tofu bacon (durn them Ruskies) and need to get rid of it

Comment

Only a shiftless pirate would think something cobbled from two different voices that would sound like "yeast" without the "t" at the end will cut it.

As an aside, I guess you discovered that the bacon in one of your bacon vaults got replaced with tofu bacon (durn them Ruskies) and need to get rid of it
                            Sound? I don't need no sound. That was text baby! Written contract.

Comment

Sound? I don't need no sound. That was text baby! Written contract.
                              I have never texted in my life. I don't even have a cell phone

Comment