"life verse"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "life verse"

These are some more random thoughts of mine.

A lot of Christians talk about their "life verse." I've never really gotten that--not like I have a problem with it, I've just never thought of myself having one. It's one of those "Christianese" things that seems a bit weird to me.

However, there is one passage that I might be able to point to as my favorite. Job 38, particularly the first few verses, but generally 38-42. What might be my favorite few verses in the Bible:

Source: Job 38:2-4, NASB

Who is this that darkens counsel by words without knowledge? Now gird up your loins like a man, and I will ask you, and you instruct Me! Where were you when I laid the foundation of the earth? Tell Me, if you have understanding...."

© Copyright Original Source

It's probably the most devastatingly humbling passage in the Bible, IMO, but I love it. So then God goes on two chapters like this, and then in chapter 40 Job basically says, "I am nothing; how can I even respond?" But God isn't done, and gets right back to interrogating him.

So maybe that is my "life verse;" I don't know. It seems a bit funny that my life verse would be a passage where God sarcastically says, in essence, "Man up and teach me: where were you when I laid the foundations of the earth?"
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Most people seem to rip verses out of context, exclusively positive ones, when they choose a life verse. Interesting that people don't choose something like Acts 9:16 as their life verse:
    "For I myself will show him how much he will have to suffer on account of my name."
    אָמַר לוֹ יֵשׁוּעַ: אֲנִי הַדֶּרֶךְ וְהָאֱמֶת וְהַחַיִּים. אֵין אִישׁ בָּא אֶל הָאָב אֶלָּא דַּרְכִּי

כֻּלָּ֨נוּ֙ כַּצֹּ֣אן תָּעִ֔ינוּ אִ֥ישׁ לְדַרְכֹּ֖ו פָּנִ֑ינוּ וַֽיהוָה֙ הִפְגִּ֣יעַ בֹּ֔ו אֵ֖ת עֲוֹ֥ן כֻּלָּֽנוּ
    "We all, like sheep, went astray; we turned, each one, to his own way; yet HASHEM laid on him the guilt of all of us" - Yesha'yahu 53:6

Comment

Originally posted by Y'hoshua View Post
      Most people seem to rip verses out of context, exclusively positive ones, when they choose a life verse. Interesting that people don't choose something like Acts 9:16 as their life verse:
      Or Ps. 137:9 - "Happy the one who takes and dashes Your little ones against the rock!"
      Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment