Thread: What is the deal with stem cells?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

What is the deal with stem cells?

I hear lots of stuff about embryonic stem cells. To me it seems pretty gruesome to take cells from a developing baby but I am ignorant on the subject. What is the deal?

2. Amen Jedidiah amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWall View Post
    I hear lots of stuff about embryonic stem cells. To me it seems pretty gruesome to take cells from a developing baby but I am ignorant on the subject. What is the deal?
    it's worse than that. They keep embryo lines alive in tanks just to harvest their stem cells. They keep cloning the embryos over and over and taking their stem cells. Like a sci-fi horror movie.

4. Amen Jedidiah amen'd this post.
    Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    it's worse than that. They keep embryo lines alive in tanks just to harvest their stem cells. They keep cloning the embryos over and over and taking their stem cells. Like a sci-fi horror movie.

It's also absolutely unnecessary. They can get the same thing from umbilical cord blood. And people have their own stem cells growing in their own bodies.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWall View Post
    Trust your gut on this one.

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

7. Amen Jedidiah amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by mossrose View Post
    It's also absolutely unnecessary. They can get the same thing from umbilical cord blood. And people have their own stem cells growing in their own bodies.
    Is there a loophole in the laws concerning humans? So if they clone embryos it is okay because they are not human?

Faith
    Nontraditional Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    The only type of stem cells that has had any kind of success are adult stem cells take from the patient.
    http://stemcell.childrenshospital.or...to-treatments/
    . . . the Gospel of Christ, for it is [the] power of God to salvation to every [one] believing, . . . -- Romans 1:16.

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3, 4.

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1.

10. Amen Raphael, Jedidiah amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I had heard about induced pluripotent stem cells. If what I read was accurate, then you can get stem cells extremely easily, even from your own body. I don't think there is any chance of rejection if you use the cells from your own body.

12. Amen Jedidiah amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikewhitney View Post
    Is there a loophole in the laws concerning humans? So if they clone embryos it is okay because they are not human?
    Well they are not strictly cloning them (taking the DNA of one cell and inserting it into an egg). They are taking an embryo that starts to grow, and split it, so that it becomes "twins" and keep doing that to create more and more copies of the original embryo.

Faith
    Ecumenical Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Stem cell research can be conducted from the umbilical cord and the placenta after birth. In fact you can sign forms to donate both to research or donate the cord for cancer.
    A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
    George Bernard Shaw