Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Chicago Gang Leaders Want Meet With Trump...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicago Gang Leaders Want Meet With Trump...

This might be interesting. Should Trump do it?

The founder and pastor of a megachurch in Ohio told President Donald Trump he has spoken to gang leaders in Chicago who want to work with the White House to reduce violent crime.

Dr. Darrell Scott, senior pastor of New Revival Center in Cleveland Heights, Ohio, was a guest of Trump’s at an African-American History Month meeting at the White House. He said he is a “black Trump supporter,” and claimed he was “contacted by some of the top gang thugs in Chicago for a sit-down.”

Taking a swipe at former President Obama, who began his political career as a community organizer in Chicago, Scott said the gangs “want to work with the administration … they believe in this administration; they didn’t believe in the prior administration. They told me this outta their mouths.”

“They reached out to me, because they’re associating me with you. They respect you. They believe in what you’re doing, and they want to have a sit-down about lowering that body count. So in a couple weeks, I’m going into Chicago,” Scott said. “I said we’ve got to lower that body count. We don’t want to talk about anything else; get that body count down, and they agreed that the principals that can do it – these are guys straight from the streets, no politicians, straight street guys – but they’re going to commit that if they lower that body count, we’ll come in and we’ll do some social programs.”

Trump said, “I think that’s a great idea, because Chicago is totally out of control.”

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2017/02/...violent-crime/
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

I would say Trump should at least bite, just to see at least what terms are put on the table.

Negotiating with criminals is a revolting thing, but as Max Weber once said (to paraphrase)

"The ethics of responsibility sometimes oblige us to make decisions that wound the primary moral intuitions of a private citizen."

Just lowering the body count is not particularly encouraging, but it would be a start in putting order back in Chicago.
    Ladino, Guatemalan, Hispanic, and Latin, but foremostly, Christian.
    As of the 1st of December, 2020, officially anointed as this:

"Seinfeld had its Soup Nazi. Tweb has its Taco Nazi." - Rogue06 , https://theologyweb.com/campus/forum...e3#post1210559

Comment

Counting on gangs to restore law and order sounds a lot like hiring the fox to guard the henhouse.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        Counting on gangs to restore law and order sounds a lot like hiring the fox to guard the henhouse.
        Counting on gangs to restore law and order is not a prerogative in a negotiation of this kind.

"Seinfeld had its Soup Nazi. Tweb has its Taco Nazi." - Rogue06 , https://theologyweb.com/campus/forum...e3#post1210559

Comment

Actually I think it had a good effect in South Central if I remember correctly.
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
            Actually I think it had a good effect in South Central if I remember correctly.
            You remember well yes. Although as usual, things are hardly ever a black or white understanding of things.

To give you the closest example to my home. A 2012 truce of sorts was agreed upon between Mara Salvatrucha (MS-13) and the Salvadorian government.

On the negative, MS-13 faked "reducing armament" purchasing at the last second armament of poor quality to give the appearance of "disarming" as agreed upon.

But on the positive, at least for 2012, the amounts of homicides DID go down, which is what everybody wanted in the first place. A shame the whole deal went to hell after 2012 with the new Salvadorian president (wielding an iron-fist approach to crime), reverting back to the murder-sprees prior to 2012.

It is important to be clear on the truces. Otherwise, they will constantly break as it occurred during the 1980-1990 period in Mexico. But to be fair, some of those "truces" weren't really truces, more like gentleman agreements with very little substance and clarity.

If the bulk of the Chicago gangs can be present acting as one body (no point negotiating if it's just a few fragmented gangs), brokered with Church folk, it may be worth the governments time to check it out, and perhaps pave the way to some good that U.S. Conservatives and Progressives actually agree and desire on.
            Last edited by Andius; 02-01-2017, 05:15 PM.

Comment

Expect Trump as The Godfather memes is he actually decides to look into this.

Comment

Originally posted by Andius View Post
                If the bulk of the Chicago gangs can be present acting as one body (no point negotiating if it's just a few fragmented gangs), brokered with Church folk, it may be worth the governments time to check it out, and perhaps pave the way to some good that U.S. Conservatives and Progressives actually agree and desire on.
                I don't see what harm it would do, and it may actually do some real good. I would actually invite them to the White House, perhaps you would instill them with a sense of awe and reverence for our nation.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                  Expect Trump as The Godfather memes is he actually decides to look into this.
                  Oh the internet is way ahead... heheheheheheheheheh.

87117831.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                    I don't see what harm it would do, and it may actually do some real good. I would actually invite them to the White House, perhaps you would instill them with a sense of awe and reverence for our nation.
                    True true. Don't know if such feelings can be instilled, but the focus is to achieve cooperation using any but reasonable means if negotiations will be serious.

Comment

Originally posted by Andius View Post
                      True true. Don't know if such feelings can be instilled, but the focus is to achieve cooperation using any but reasonable means if negotiations will be serious.
                      See I spend most of the 80s in one of the most crime ridden housing projects on the east coast. Most of these young men have never left their city, nor do they feel invested in their country. Nor do they feel that their country is invested in them. I think a trip to our nation's capitol and an audience in the White House may enlighten their thinking. But like I said, it can't hurt.

Comment