Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Climate Lies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seer View Post
    The point is China is still going balls to the walls with coal. And they are and will be using coal at a higher rate than just about anyone in the world, they are building more and more coal plants. And my link/quote was from post #78, I had assumed that you already looked at that.

http://www.climatecentral.org/blogs/...-problem-16999
    I didn't see that link. So from what I get from you, we should do nothing about burning fossil fuels because China is burning a lot more than us?

They are clearly interested in stopping fossil fuel growth eventually given their larger-than-anybody-else investment in renewables. I think the fact that their cities are covered in near-permanent smog where you have to wear a surgical mask to walk outside was a wake up call to them. They know they cannot keep on the same path for ever. No one can.
    Blog: Atheism and the City

If your whole worldview rests on a particular claim being true, you damn well better have evidence for it. You should have tons of evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by The Thinker View Post
      I didn't see that link. So from what I get from you, we should do nothing about burning fossil fuels because China is burning a lot more than us?
      I'm saying, given China, India, and other developing countries, increasing use of coal our efforts probably won't matter much. Hey like I said I have no problem with wind or solar, though I think we should be focusing on natural gas and nuclear as transition sources.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

I'm saying, given China, India, and other developing countries, increasing use of coal our efforts probably won't matter much. Hey like I said I have no problem with wind or solar, though I think we should be focusing on natural gas and nuclear as transition sources.
        They are slowing them down over time and investing in renewables, which is exactly what we should be doing, and that's exactly what many other countries are doing. And you still seem to be saying that 6 inches of sea level rise is no different from 1 foot, because, hey, we can't stop it 100%!

If your whole worldview rests on a particular claim being true, you damn well better have evidence for it. You should have tons of evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by The Thinker View Post
          They are slowing them down over time and investing in renewables, which is exactly what we should be doing, and that's exactly what many other countries are doing. And you still seem to be saying that 6 inches of sea level rise is no different from 1 foot, because, hey, we can't stop it 100%!
          But we are doing solar and wind, look at Rick Perry's hated Texas - they have more windmills than any other state and more are coming.
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

But we are doing solar and wind, look at Rick Perry's hated Texas - they have more windmills than any other state and more are coming.
            Ok great. All I'm saying is we shouldn't have an attitude that says "we can't reduce the negative effects of climate change 100%, so let's do nothing then." Or "China produces more pollution than we do and it will increase over time, so we shouldn't do more to invest in renewables that address climate change." Neither of those views make any sense.

It's like saying "We can't reduce all traffic deaths with traffic lights. So let's increase the number of intersections that have no traffic lights!"

This is called the Nirvana fallacy.

Comment

The single biggest drawback with Wind and Solar are that the wind doesn't always blow and the Sun doesn't always shine. Windmill are prolific here in Texas! But when it's the hottest here, the wind is usually the calmest...which makes it much less effective. They are just now starting to ramp up area wide Solar arrays...I know there is a community in North Texas that is putting in a Solar Farm that will power about 1500 homes and takes up a whopping 70 acres! But, Solar makes more sense in Texas to me, but it's lagging way behind Wind for some reason.
              "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
                The single biggest drawback with Wind and Solar are that the wind doesn't always blow and the Sun doesn't always shine. Windmill are prolific here in Texas! But when it's the hottest here, the wind is usually the calmest...which makes it much less effective. They are just now starting to ramp up area wide Solar arrays...I know there is a community in North Texas that is putting in a Solar Farm that will power about 1500 homes and takes up a whopping 70 acres! But, Solar makes more sense in Texas to me, but it's lagging way behind Wind for some reason.
                But, but I thought you were the evil oil state!

Comment

OK everyone stop worrying! I, Sparko, have invented the perfect Renewable energy system.

power.jpg

You're welcome.

Comment

But, but I thought you were the evil oil state!
                    The latest boom here in Texas has been Natural Gas. However, we DO still pump a lot of oil here as well...
                    "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

• Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
                      What you do is your store the energy in a battery to be used when the sun is not shining and the wind is not blowing. Tesla is developing that.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Thinker View Post
                        What you do is your store the energy in a battery to be used when the sun is not shining and the wind is not blowing. Tesla is developing that.
                        Already done. see my diagram above

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          Already done. see my diagram above
                          I think you got a perpetual motion machine there.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Thinker View Post
                            I think you got a perpetual motion machine there.
                            Invented that long ago:

Comment